Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, when you guys buy electronics from these stores, do you guys usually get the extended warranty? I got warranty for my 360, but never got one for my current laptop when I purchased 3 years ago. I know there are factory warranties, so what would you say? I'm interested in buying a laptop and a HD LCD TV (prob not the one I'm hoping to get because it's out of stock everywhere!!!)

·
My RICE goes PSHHHH
66,285 Posts
I use to work there, only portable units are worth buying the extended warranty.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
okay, I want to get a little more specific as to what I'm buying. First the laptop. It'll be a Toshiba Satellite laptop, I figure Toshiba laptops are reliable and won't have any problems like my Acer. Still, should I consider the warranty for this? The tv I want to buy is a 42" LCD tv. I'm looking at the Toshiba as well as the LG; only LG is $100 more. Are Toshiba tv's not so good? I know nothing about tv's esp because I'm a student using our old tube tv, and my parents just lost theirs. I want to get them something good, but at the same time, saving $100 would mean a lot at the moment (upcoming rent/bills). It's always a hit/miss with these extended plans. I've bought them before but some times I really don't need it and other times, it comes in handy but it's a bitch getting it resolved sometimes.

tv price difference is as follows:

LG = $969.99 + 2yr plan ($199.99)
Toshiba = $899.99 + 2yr plan ($179.99)

both are 720p display and the only real difference is the dynamic contrast ratio, whatever that means.

·
My RICE goes PSHHHH
66,285 Posts
Laptop buy it, tv you don't need it.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here's the thing about the laptop though. Say I buy it, the 2 yr plan one. I get one year factory warranty on parts and labor meaning with this extended plan, I only get one additional year. Is that one year worth pay 229$? Fuck, laptops are cheap now. As long as that one lasts me 3 years, I might as well save that 229$ and use it towards a new laptop. lol. I take care of my stuff, even after 'mild' abuse this Acer has lasted me 3 good years, probably a few years more to go if there wasn't battery issues. 2 years of warranty seems a little weird. I mean I can see me buying maybe 3 year plan because that's when I'd expect problems to come up, but 2 years? Maybe I'll skip it for now, and buy it later; I think they give you like a month after purchase to buy warranty.

·
EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH
8,170 Posts
don't buy warranty from FS/BB.

check with your visa company and see if they offer extended warranty when you purchase electronics with your visa card.

i know mine gives me 1 year on top of manufacturer warranty.

·
KOUKI DC5
6,700 Posts
dont even bother with the service plans anymore, lots of rules have changed since then... and its a lot harder for your claim to be repaired these days :(

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would buy it on both. especially the laptop, yes toshiba covers it for one year but you have to send it to toshiba and they only pay half the shipping, so theres 40$. They cover parts and labour IF it is from regular use. If your hinge breaks on the laptop, there not goin to cover that beacuse its considered physical damage, they dont cover software so if you change the OS your fucked unless you have a service plan. Often if your laptop is 2 years old the parts arent available to be fixed so you would get a new laptop. If you bring it in 3 times with major issues the 4th time you get a new laptop as well.

as far as the TV. Ask for a deal on HDMI cables and stuff then itsorth buying. Tvs break all the time, if you go samsung they have the best warrenty for tvs beacuse they will actually come to the house and pick it up. Service plan does the same.

its totally up to you though, peice of mind is why i buy it on most of my stuff (and i get a sick deal on service)

FYI always buy it on your IPOD they are the most returned or repaired mp3 player know to man haha

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
LG = $969.99 + 2yr plan ($199.99)
Toshiba = $899.99 + 2yr plan ($179.99)
just look at the price of the plan!! it's like 20% of the cost of the unit.. it may be a pain in the ass to claim for the manufacturer's warranty but at 20% of the cost?? say you buy both and you're unlucky enuf that one of them breaks you already paid for about 1/2 of it in "warranty"... LOL.. such a scam...

·
fudge em
3,848 Posts
I've never bought them and never will. Maybe if they didn't charge sooooo much for them they'd be a good idea.

·
I'm Chuck Bass
49,069 Posts
never buy the warranty, only buy the Product Replacement Plan so if the product malfunctions (get bored of your product) just send them in and you will get the money back :shady:

·
nimz
252 Posts
Everyone has their own views on Warranties...i personally work at future shop and i know what to buy it on and what not to buy it on... Id definitely reccomend buying it on the laptop and as for the TV you dont need it...well the major thing is the bulb that would be the most expensive fix on the TV which is the only thing that is not covered under the FUTURE SHOP/BBY warranty. So in my opinion its not worth it...Laptops you will need because we have so many laptops comin back with so much issues...the laptops that they made within the last couple years are pure crap and decent machines are hard to find these days. As for getting the extended service plan...heres a tip never buy the 2 year...if your going to buy...buy the 3 year or the 4 year...whichever is the maximum contract...the difference is peanuts and especially if your buying a reputable brand or company like LG or Toshiba...they are a reputable company and sell good stuff and their stuff would most like crap out in the 3rd or 4 year so if your gonna spend $200 on warranty...u might as well spend an extra $80 to go with the maximum contract...JUST MY 2 centz...but the decision is always yours!

ps. with warranty you can always ask them for a good deal...they can probably knock off a couple 100 bucks...

·
What are you made of...
22,072 Posts
The only thing I buy warranty is for a Laptop since its mobile and there is a higher risk of damaging it. But anything else never! When I bought my LCD I did not buy the warranty however I used my credit card so basically I have 1 yr extra warranty.

Also if you buy LCD TV IF it was a Sony its better to buy it at specialized stores, a lot of them service their own products. The problem with retail stores is that in the first year you usually have to take it to the place where it will be repaired. I am not a 100% sure about other products though, I just know about Sony.

Just dont buy the warranty cause the sales person "advice" you to buy it. They get good commission on warranties and MONSTER cable!

If you buy they Monster cable and warranty then ask the sales person for MORE discount. Then maybe few days later return the cables, I am not sure about the warranty of you can ask for a refund for it.

·
What are you made of...
22,072 Posts
Its funny before I bought my LCD TV, I asked a lot of friends and co-workers if they buy bought warranty. All of the ppl that have a good knowledge about electronics and stuff that do their research did not get warranty. However ppl that doesnt know much they bought warranty and some of them regretted it lol.

I suggest before buying the TV to check RFD and maybe some other stores will have it cheaper then you can ask them to price match it +10% off of the difference.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
here's a nice little update for you all

i went to futureshop, looked at a very nice 40" samsung hdtv. bought it, and hooked it up. i also noticed something 'loose' in the tv as i was lifting it, huge clunk as i pulled it out of the box. well, in the end, the tv ended up being defective (tv wouldn't turn on) and i had to return it. i didn't exchange for another one because i was only in toronto for one day and it was supposed to be a present for my parents. i wanted to buy/set it up so they can just enjoy it. i'm going back next week for an appointment so i figure ill just buy it again then.

one thing i noticed on the box, "made in MEXICO" figures...:thumbsdow:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts