Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So, I have a RSX type S that drives like new. I am looking for advice on what I should do maintenance-wise on things that will deteriorate with time in a garage and light driving "to the store."

While looking for a daily driver to replace my 228k mile 01 Civic, just keeping an eye out because you never know what you'll find on Craigslist, I came across a rare item.

Gentlemen in South Jersey was selling a 16k mile 2004 Acura Type-S. Garage kept, driven by an older man who had passed away. I won't get into too much detail but it sounds like a great find.

So far:

1. Original tires, I may drive until they are toast. No flat spots.
2. I changed the oil with Royal Purple and Fram Synthetic Filter
3. Replaced air filter
4. Replaced coolant

What I know:

1. Belt needs to be changed
2. Tranny gear oil?

Whatever anyone else would like to share, I would like to hear what other changed you would make, whether it is MAINTENANCE or UPGRADE related. My goal is use it as a daily driver FYI.

Interests:

1. Stereo! I'm a big fan of Polk speakers and "stock look" of the head unit. Whats the best AUX IN setup??

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hey guys. So, I have a RSX type S that drives like new. I am looking for advice on what I should do maintenance-wise on things that will deteriorate with time in a garage and light driving "to the store."

While looking for a daily driver to replace my 228k mile 01 Civic, just keeping an eye out because you never know what you'll find on Craigslist, I came across a rare item.

Gentlemen in South Jersey was selling a 16k mile 2004 Acura Type-S. Garage kept, driven by an older man who had passed away. I won't get into too much detail but it sounds like a great find.

So far:

1. Original tires, I may drive until they are toast. No flat spots.
2. I changed the oil with Royal Purple and Fram Synthetic Filter
3. Replaced air filter
4. Replaced coolant

What I know:

1. Belt needs to be changed
2. Tranny gear oil?

Whatever anyone else would like to share, I would like to hear what other changed you would make, whether it is MAINTENANCE or UPGRADE related. My goal is use it as a daily driver FYI.

Interests:

1. Stereo! I'm a big fan of Polk speakers and "stock look" of the head unit. Whats the best AUX IN setup??
Depends how long its been sitting but id think not much would be needed unless its been sitting non running for awhile. But Id prolly change the oil make sure theres nothing stuck. As far as an AUX in setup, you would have to go aftermarket or breakout your electrical skills and insert one, there is a DIY on here of a guy doing it. Also a guy was selling one on here a while ago. OR you can do what I did and get an AUDM ITR radio and a converter plug for the back that allows an AUX to be run and retain the OEMness. Nice find though!

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
I wouldn't drive very fast on 10 year old tires. If it's been sitting a long time; maybe drain the gas and replace with fresh? Brake fluid also. It's worth checking for moisture absorption.

The tail lights will leak soon enough. Be prepared.

And I'd smear Shin-Etsu grease on all the weather seals(window, sunroof, door).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Lucky you, that’s a great find. I would change all the fluids. Engine/transmission oil, antifreeze (use distilled water to avoid minerals), bleed brake/clutch fluid (absorbs water even when just sitting), and spark plugs. Just from age I would also replace the serpentine belt, radiator hoses, and tires (after 6 years the rubber starts to break down). All these are fairly simple tasks that you can do yourself. I know at first it may seem like a lot of $$$ but overall you will have many years fun driving.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Lucky you, that’s a great find. I would change all the fluids. Engine/transmission oil, antifreeze (use distilled water to avoid minerals), bleed brake/clutch fluid (absorbs water even when just sitting), and spark plugs. Just from age I would also replace the serpentine belt, radiator hoses, and tires (after 6 years the rubber starts to break down). All these are fairly simple tasks that you can do yourself. I know at first it may seem like a lot of $$$ but overall you will have many years fun driving.
as stated here. change everything. all fluids, all hoses/vacuum lines. most definitely brake and clutch fluid as they are hygroscopic. cars are meant to be driven, it does more damage for them to sit that it does to be taken care of.

·
Jimbo's Cowering Employee
4,131 Posts
I would highly suggest replacing the tires. For being 11yrs old on the originals the rubber won't be very good anymore. Ever found an old rubber band in a drawer and tried to use it?? It isn't worth the risk. I recently read an article about a mk4 Supra with like 25k miles on it and the article cautioned low mileage vehicals because they tend to sit and can collect water, internal engine rust and even debris from fluid breakdown. It might be good to run some engine cleaning product through a tank of gas, just to make sure the fuel system is clean. The injectors might have a clog. Otherwise you probably have a very good find.

If you want to keep the stock deck, I found a bluetooth cassette adapter on ThinkGeek.com. you could just keep the stock deck without modification and use that to get your phone connected. Just an idea rather than fiddling and trying to find a new deck, or mod the stock one.

And as always WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts