Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so i know its been visited alot and ive serched to find the solution to this problem but it keeps persisting, when im driving at regular speeds my car has a little bit of a gas smell and when i get on it the smell is horrible, also have horrible gas mileage and my wife cant even ride in the car with me because the smell gives her headaches, i have a sri and a 3" exhaust with a ktuned race header, have a cel secondary 02 sensor but not sureif that would cause it, also i never hear the fans kick on so possibly could be that the ecu thinks the engine is cold all the time and is dumping more fuel to "warm it up". dont know any help would be appreciate.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Anytime the catalyst is eliminated the car will emit the smell you describe.

You will need to get your car turned or at least reflashed to accomodate the race header.

If you get KPRO you can disable the secondary o2 sensor which.

This theoretically should help your MPG.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Leaking gas anywhere? When I did mine my gas mileage was fine. Most say it makes the car lean, so low gas mileage ???? In my car I don't smell the exhaust but it doesn't smell good when I do. The converter cleans that up. My nose doesn't work the best, so I hope it smells ok. If you don't like your wife, keep driving.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you running a cat bypass, high-flow cat or straight pipe? High-flow cats work like a regular cat but give you much better exhaust flow. Also, they can add 10 -15 hp. Some are bolt ons while others are weld on.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Secondary O2 does not matter. It is only there to throw a code if the cat is not working correctly ... and I assume you have no cat at all, so thus the code. But that has no effect on how the car runs.
That said, if you do have a cat, and it is throwing that code, then your cat might be physically plugged up, which can really mess-up how the engine runs, so could explain your mpg.

Yes, with no cat your exhaust will stink! That smell is called pollution! ;)
You might also have some leaks in the exhaust system if a lot is getting into the car ... or does everyone in CA cruise around in reverse with the windows down?

Actually, a rich running engine runs cooler, not hotter.

With the CAI and header/exhaust, your engine should be running a bit leaner than stock, unless it has a K-Pro, or the like, and has been tuned for the aftermarket parts.

Define "horrible gas mileage". These cars get bad mpg on short trips IF all the stuff designed to warm the engine up quickly is disabled/bypassed. You have a CAI, so that is one crime against quick warm ups. Throttle body coolant bypass? Hondata/plastic intake manifold gasket? I'm guilty of all of these, myself. Short trips around town it sucks gas (mid to high teens). Drive to Seattle or the coast and it gets the same mpg it got stock, low 30s.

All that said, might be worth taking it in and checking for exhaust leaks and get hooked up to the computer. Could be your primary O2 is messing up, but not throwing a code.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,204 Posts
yeah you shouldn't definitely not smell gas gas. Like does it smell like gas like when you're pumping it in at the pump? That is bad. Otherwise, no cat will smell like... burning carbon/petrol/racecar. Which, if you smell that, well you're getting all the nitrous oxides (NOx) with the hydrocarbons (HC's) and that will give you a good headache, and angry looks

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys so i know its been visited alot and ive serched to find the solution to this problem but it keeps persisting, when im driving at regular speeds my car has a little bit of a gas smell and when i get on it the smell is horrible, also have horrible gas mileage and my wife cant even ride in the car with me because the smell gives her headaches, i have a sri and a 3" exhaust with a ktuned race header, have a cel secondary 02 sensor but not sureif that would cause it, also i never hear the fans kick on so possibly could be that the ecu thinks the engine is cold all the time and is dumping more fuel to "warm it up". dont know any help would be appreciate.
Hey Guys,

I encountered a similar issue with my ‘02 RSX Type S. I only have AEM cold air intake, but after some searches I found a suggestion to check the fuel filter. When I removed my rear seat and fuel tank access panel the fuel filter top piece was cracked and there was a little puddle of gasoline on top of it. Here is a yt link to a civic owner showing a similar problem https://youtu.be/LE-BhnKYXus

I don’t think Acura/ Honda sells the fuel filter top piece of the fuel pump by itself but I was able to find one on amazon that worked for me. Here is the part I ordered from amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FKA8DIK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bgzKAbPFHWCHB

Hopefully this helps some people.

Have a nice day!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will check out

Hey Guys,

I encountered a similar issue with my ‘02 RSX Type S. I only have AEM cold air intake, but after some searches I found a suggestion to check the fuel filter. When I removed my rear seat and fuel tank access panel the fuel filter top piece was cracked and there was a little puddle of gasoline on top of it. Here is a yt link to a civic owner showing a similar problem https://youtu.be/LE-BhnKYXus

I don’t think Acura/ Honda sells the fuel filter top piece of the fuel pump by itself but I was able to find one on amazon that worked for me. Here is the part I ordered from amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FKA8DIK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bgzKAbPFHWCHB

Hopefully this helps some people.

Have a nice day!
Thanks a lot I’ll have to check that out tomorrow

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn’t smell when I pump gas

yeah you shouldn't definitely not smell gas gas. Like does it smell like gas like when you're pumping it in at the pump? That is bad. Otherwise, no cat will smell like... burning carbon/petrol/racecar. Which, if you smell that, well you're getting all the nitrous oxides (NOx) with the hydrocarbons (HC's) and that will give you a good headache, and angry looks
Doesn’t smell when I pump gas, it’s only when I get on it somewhat, guess I’ll just need to get a tune and a new wife

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.