Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
www.philosobrah.com
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey. Got a question.

Is it bad if i put 89 gas into my base, I heard its better for your engine... but i need a clarification because I dont want to break anything. I put it in a couple times and it seems my car runs a little smoother but it could be just in my head.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
I used to fill up 87 octane when my car was stock, ran perfectly fine with no issues.
After I put in CAI, it seemed to like 89 octane better, after I put i/rh/exhaust on.
It seemed to like 91+ octane better.

If your car is stock, I'd probably recommend 87 octane. Of course you can't go wrong with 89 because thats what is suggested in owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
i cant believe the misinformation that everyone mentioned

higher octane is NOT better gas, it does NOT burn cleaner or make MORE power or give you higher mileage.

the ONLY reason for higher octane is to combat pinging or detonation. This is done when higher compression is achieved within the cylinder.

·
Gun For Hire
4,089 Posts

higher octane is NOT better gas, it does NOT burn cleaner or make MORE power or give you higher mileage.

the ONLY reason for higher octane is to combat pinging or detonation. This is done when higher compression is achieved within the cylinder.
Exactly! You can actually get less MPG with an octane rating higher than your compression suggests. FI is an exception. The only reason it may run better is
1) Extremely hot ambient temps
2) The detergents that they put in higher octane gas

·
TEKES RAZE HELL!
811 Posts

he speaks truth.

all you stock bases (like moi) running on higher octane are wasting money.

my experience personally, i felt a power gain running on 87 rather than 93. it was noticeably sluggish on 93 and 89

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
but im not running a stock base...and plus i actually get better mileage believe it or not with 93

i dont believe it, drive several weeks with 87 then drive several weeks with 93 and then come back. one gas thank comparisons are worthless.

I get 550KM per tank of 87 regluar week in week out for the last 100K

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
i never said it gives me more power...read my post i said it runs smoother and i can feel the power (of my car more)
if you never said it gives you more power, how am i to interpet this statement?

"i can feel the power (of my car more)"? butt dynos are again worthless, and it could be more physiological in your own mind to justify your mods.

post dyno plots to prove me wrong or stop posting misformation

regarding your smoother comment, again it could be more physiological or just subjective statement.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts