Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
エアロキット&#
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I did some searching for the source of this problem with my rsx. Recently my car is smelling like raw gas. Yes it has a race header but it is not that type of smell-

I can tell it is coming from under the car and near the tank. I had thought that maybe it is coming from the EVAP canister / shut valve but I am not sure.

Has anyone else has a similar issue and solved it? My car has around 170k miles right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking to possibly take the car to acura for them to find the issue, but before I do I would like to hear your thoughts to see if I can solve this myself.

Thanks,

Cody

·
Registered
84 Posts
is there any gas leak? If you have a aftermarket sway bar and you are low in the rear, might want to check if the end link hits the fuel filler neck hose if its damaged or not.

·
エアロキット&#
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there any gas leak? If you have a aftermarket sway bar and you are low in the rear, might want to check if the end link hits the fuel filler neck hose if its damaged or not.
Car does not have aftermarket sway bars, and does not sit low at all in the rear - however for a short period of time it was low in the back for about 2 weeks, but not any more.

I do not see any actual leakage coming from anywhere underneath, I went and inspected with a flashlight.

Maybe I should remove the rear seats and check at the top of the tank?

·
Past Driver’s Ed
517 Posts
Car does not have aftermarket sway bars, and does not sit low at all in the rear - however for a short period of time it was low in the back for about 2 weeks, but not any more.

I do not see any actual leakage coming from anywhere underneath, I went and inspected with a flashlight.

Maybe I should remove the rear seats and check at the top of the tank?
Check the tank’s plastic cap for cracks.

·
エアロキット&#
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the tank’s plastic cap for cracks.
Ok so I finally found where it is leaking. I removed the rear seats and popped open the metal cover - right underneath the cover at the top of the fuel pump there was gasoline pooling up around the top of it.

Now I am not sure if it is leaking from: That plug right next to the pump, from the big plastic black cap that goes around the pump or from that fuel line at the top.

I didn't see any cracks on the big black cap, but I did see some really tiny hairline cracks at the top of the fuel pump - but they look more like crazing on the surface and not actual cracks that would leak. However the fuel line seemed wet, so I am wondering that the connection to the pump might be the issue.

·
Past Driver’s Ed
517 Posts
Ok so I finally found where it is leaking. I removed the rear seats and popped open the metal cover - right underneath the cover at the top of the fuel pump there was gasoline pooling up around the top of it.

Now I am not sure if it is leaking from: That plug right next to the pump, from the big plastic black cap that goes around the pump or from that fuel line at the top.

I didn't see any cracks on the big black cap, but I did see some really tiny hairline cracks at the top of the fuel pump - but they look more like crazing on the surface and not actual cracks that would leak. However the fuel line seemed wet, so I am wondering that the connection to the pump might be the issue.
Try inspecting the fuel line fitting while the fuel system is under pressure. Normally if you just turn the ignition on (not starting the engine) the fuel system will prime itself (generate pressure) for only a couple of seconds and then it is turned off by the ECU. Easiest thing to do is with the car in a well ventilated area, start the engine and let it run. With the engine running, this will required the fuel pump to run at a constant pressure, allowing you better opportunity to check for fuel leaks. Try wiggling the fuel line to see if the fitting leaks. This fitting is a slip-lock type fitting that relies on o-rings to make the seal. Double check the cracks in the cap. The cap itself acts as a fuel manifold directing the fuel to the engine or by the fuel pressure regulator returned back to the pump area. The pump itself is suspended from the cap assembly and is located farther down in the tank.

·
エアロキット&#
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try inspecting the fuel line fitting while the fuel system is under pressure. Normally if you just turn the ignition on (not starting the engine) the fuel system will prime itself (generate pressure) for only a couple of seconds and then it is turned off by the ECU. Easiest thing to do is with the car in a well ventilated area, start the engine and let it run. With the engine running, this will required the fuel pump to run at a constant pressure, allowing you better opportunity to check for fuel leaks. Try wiggling the fuel line to see if the fitting leaks. This fitting is a slip-lock type fitting that relies on o-rings to make the seal. Double check the cracks in the cap. The cap itself acts as a fuel manifold directing the fuel to the engine or by the fuel pressure regulator returned back to the pump area. The pump itself is suspended from the cap assembly and is located farther down in the tank.

I tried checking it out- im pretty sure it is steadily leaking out from the cracks at the top :(

I did notice that the fitting tends to move/ gets loose though. But it doesn't seem to be leaking from that point.

·
Past Driver’s Ed
517 Posts
I tried checking it out- im pretty sure it is steadily leaking out from the cracks at the top :(

I did notice that the fitting tends to move/ gets loose though. But it doesn't seem to be leaking from that point.
I have read threads from other drivers who have experienced the same issue with fuel leaking from the small cracks. Best way is to fix this is to buy a new cap/pump assembly which is sold as one part. Not a bad time to upgrade the fuel pump while you have it all apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts