Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mr. P.I.M.P baby!
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gents!
was hoping someone can help me out.
Does anyone know of a list or something that would show where all the gas stations in the US that Carry 94 Octane?

I have a buddy of mine from Canada who wants to visit, but his car has a JDM ECU and is mapped for 94octane.
would make things easier if I could find a gas station that holds it.

Let me know, thanks for your help.

Napleon

·
Mr. P.I.M.P baby!
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that's no good.
Has anyone actually tried the Octane boosters before? Do they actually work?

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Well that's no good.
Has anyone actually tried the Octane boosters before? Do they actually work?
My cousin used it when his mom filled his turbo WRX up with 85 octane (pretty much the equivalent to 87 octane here due to the thin air/altitude). He said it worked alright but honestly said the car ran better when he put 91 in. I have had friends who have used it as well and told me they thought it was junk for the price you pay for it. You probably are better off buying expensive racing gas if you want real high octane gas.

·
Mr. P.I.M.P baby!
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting, thanks for the tips guys.

I wonder why in Canada they Offer the 94octane but not the US...

·
CHEAP TRACKDAYS WANTED
1,120 Posts
now from what i've been told by a bird is that Higher rated octane gas means a less volatile explosion of fuel air mix. so, it's less bang for the buck? but for high compression engines, it lessens knock ?

or am i just wrong about it?

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Where I live in Colorado we have 85, 87, and 91. Due to the elevation the octane ratings here can be lower because the air is thinner here. My auto teacher said that 85 here is really like 87, 87 is really like 89, and 91 is like 93 octane here. Even so I always put what the manufacture recommends. Realistically because I have a jdm spec engine that calls for 91 octane I could put 87 in it and it would run supposedly pretty good. I have never filled my car with anything less then 91 since the entire time I have had the car I have put 91 in it. I just figure run what the manufacture recommends or higher. When I was in Nevada I noticed some places carried pretty high octane that was like 96-100 I believe.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
On another note if your car is fuel injected you really shouldn't run anything less then 87 I read in my auto class. Lower octane like 85 can cause knocking overtime that's why I don't use it even at the altitude I am at. If you have a high compression car run 91.

·
MECP Installer
496 Posts
now from what i've been told by a bird is that Higher rated octane gas means a less volatile explosion of fuel air mix. so, it's less bang for the buck? but for high compression engines, it lessens knock ?

or am i just wrong about it?
You're mixing up resistance to pre-detonation with energy contained. All octanes have approx the same amount of stored energy, the higher octanes are simply less resistant to pre-detonation due to compression. The lower the octane, the lower the compression ratio needed to create pinging. Rumors abound all over the web about better performance simply by upping the octane people use, and that simply isn't the case. On the other hand, engine upgrades may require a higher octane, but remember the gain is from the upgrades and not the fuel.

As for the Canadian 94oct vs US 93oct, you will likely see no issues at all. Fuel octane at the pump can vary from 1/2 to 1 rating from posted, hell there are even times where pump 93 tests at 95. He'll be just fine.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
You're mixing up resistance to pre-detonation with energy contained. All octanes have approx the same amount of stored energy, the higher octanes are simply less resistant to pre-detonation due to compression. The lower the octane, the lower the compression ratio needed to create pinging. Rumors abound all over the web about better performance simply by upping the octane people use, and that simply isn't the case. On the other hand, engine upgrades may require a higher octane, but remember the gain is from the upgrades and not the fuel.

As for the Canadian 94oct vs US 93oct, you will likely see no issues at all. Fuel octane at the pump can vary from 1/2 to 1 rating from posted, hell there are even times where pump 93 tests at 95. He'll be just fine.
Some great info here I feel like I am in fuels class all over again!

·
yooooooooooo
366 Posts
Another thing to note: In different countries, fuel is rated differently. There are three "scales" to rate octane in gasoline, in the USA we take the "RON" and "MON" scales, add them together, then divide by 2 to get the average octane rating. In canada he may be putting in what is marked as 94 octane but to our "Standards" it could actually be 91 octane

Edit: turns out Canada and the USA use the same rating system =b Still, the difference between 93 and 94 octane is minimal, and you might actually find that some gasses are underrated or overrated, just do some research :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts