Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 2004 base manual with ~180K miles. Lately, the gauge cluster hasn't been working when I turn on the ignition. If I pop the hood, take out one of the fuses (when I am facing the engine bay, the one located farthest from me and to the left), and wipe the contacts on my shirt a bit and put the fuse back in, it works. However, it tends to fail again within a week. It is becoming a pain to have to open the hood regularly to wipe the fuse (and punch in the radio code and reset the clock). Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
Other than resetting the power connection to the cluster; I'm not sure what wiping the fuse is doing.

You can easily try another fuse if ya' want. Cheap and easy to test.

And there's a test to see if everything works on the cluster. But it's more of a needle function test rather than a diagnostic.

Any mods to the dash and is the cluster original? Any damage to the wiring under the fusebox? Any spilled latte's on the dash? I'm thinking that cleaning the contacts on the cluster might be the next logical step.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My original post was misleading; I am actually referring to the fuse in the image. I can try cleaning or replacing the fuse, but my neighbor thinks the wiring might be faulty. If that is the case, I wonder how much time it would take to fix that.

Attachments

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
I'd start with a new fuse just to rule that out.

After that, I'd check for anything loose or damaged in the fusebox. I'd especially look for any damage to the wiring harnesses that run to and from that box.

It seems like "re-seating" that fuse solves it. But that fuse runs other stuff too. If the other stuff still work when the cluster goes off; then the fuse is still passing current. But the tap off of that fuse that runs to the gauge cluster could be loose, corroded, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts