Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Gauge install (HELP PLZ!)

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  RSXdelerium 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Its getting late and im getting a little frustrated.
I installed a gauge pod and 2 guages (volt and a/f). The pod itself was retarded, but thats another post.
Im now stuck doing the wiring and am hoping that one of you will see this and post a reply tonight (so i can finish the freakin thing).
My questions:

1. What wire under the dash can I tap into (+) that is only on when the car is on???

2. I need to run a wire from my a/f to a "o2 signal wire". Where the heck is this?

3. To get fancy, I want the gauge to light up when the dash lights are on. Anyone know which cable I can tap into (+) to do this??

Thanks a lot guys. I hope one of you has done this, or knows where I can find a guide (with pix).

Thanks soooo much.

#2 ·
syrous said:
Hi guys,

Its getting late and im getting a little frustrated.
I installed a gauge pod and 2 guages (volt and a/f). The pod itself was retarded, but thats another post.
Im now stuck doing the wiring and am hoping that one of you will see this and post a reply tonight (so i can finish the freakin thing).
My questions:

1. What wire under the dash can I tap into (+) that is only on when the car is on???

2. I need to run a wire from my a/f to a "o2 signal wire". Where the heck is this?

3. To get fancy, I want the gauge to light up when the dash lights are on. Anyone know which cable I can tap into (+) to do this??
Thanks a lot guys. I hope one of you has done this, or knows where I can find a guide (with pix).

Thanks soooo much.
2.Look in a helms manual...it SHOULD show you where that is.....

1 and 3. Im pretty sure you can tap into one of the wires ontop of the steering wheel.....when I installed my oem fogs i tapped into a 16 pin connector on the steering wheel to wire my fogs so they turn on with the headlights.....try taking off the plastic panel above your steering wheel and below it.....on the left hand side above the steering wheel there should be a 16 pin connector.....try putting the wire into each open slot and see if one of them works for what your trying to do.....goodluck

#3 ·
tap into the accessory wire if you want it on when the key is turned in the ignition.. otherwise tap into the ignition wire itself when the car is running.. get a helms manual to help you out with the wiring..

you have to tap into the ecu wiring for the 02 sensor.. you MUST also use the ground wire from the a/f gauge and tap it into the ground wire for the ECU otherwise your reading's will be off slightly.

You also need to look into the helms to find which wire to tap into that when your lights are on, the lights turn on.. you can find all these wires in the steering wheel coloumn..

i have a different car so i can't really be specific.. but i installed an a/f gauge and auto timer and had to tap into the ignition and ecu.. its scary, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want it..

also the a/f gauge won't be 100% acurate.. you really need a wideband 02 sensor for accuracy..

the a/f will not work until the sensor has warmed up.. at idle if you have the autometer gauges, the lights will go back and forth.. at full throttle you always run rich at least from the factory.. ecu tells the injectors to open up as much as possible.. at normal accelerating, you should be stoich/somehwat rich..

hope I helped somewhat..

#4 ·
Thanks guys!

I ended up breaking open the service manual and tapped into all the wires I needed. The only questionable one left is the a/f ratio. I tapped into a white/red wire that SUPPOSEDLY is the a/f ratio. But, when I turned the car on the a/f read max rich. Will drive to work tomorrow and see if this works. If it does, Ill write up a DIY.

Cheers and good night! :thumbsup:

#6 ·
make sure you have a good connection on the red/white wire.....i had problems with mine the first time with the gauge not reading properly.

Anyone know where to tap in for the Water Gauge...i have evertyhign wired up except the wire that goes somewhere on the block. Any clues?

#7 ·
hey guys....i just installed a a/f gauge and was wondering what kind of readings i should be getting? Usually its running rich according to the gauge and sometimes if i let off the throttle and cruise it will show me running lean for a quick second....do you think my connection to the red/white wire is off? can anyone give me what the readings should be on an all motor car?

#8 ·
I finally installed mine properly. However, my connections are not very good (I didnt solder it yet). So when Im driving, at times its drops off to very lean and even disappears (no LEDs are lit).

Im assuming that when I solder all the connections, the reading will be better.

#9 ·
when I let off the gas, my leds go away after a few seconds.. its normal for it to be like that - at cruise, you should be stoich... when accelerating, it should be more towards rich, and at full throttle, it should be really rich... if your in the red, you need more fuel!

#11 ·
I've got the AutoMeter Cobalt A/F Gauge, and it only picks up readings when I am applying pressure to the gas pedal...a situation that I read is normal for some a/f gauges. I soldered the o2 sensor wire to the white/red wire running off the ecu which seemed to help...might want to give that a shot.

#12 ·
soccerman002 said:
I've got the AutoMeter Cobalt A/F Gauge, and it only picks up readings when I am applying pressure to the gas pedal...a situation that I read is normal for some a/f gauges. I soldered the o2 sensor wire to the white/red wire running off the ecu which seemed to help...might want to give that a shot.
i have the same gauge and this might be a dumb question .. but where exactly is the ecu wire that is red/white to tap into for the o2 sensor wire?? details would be nice if its not too much trouble .. i'm gettin frustrated :eek:

#13 ·
Lol...no worries, I had the same problem.

The red/white wire is coming out of the ecu (which is located under the passanger side glove box). The ECU has a whole bunch of plugs going into it. The red/white wire is among the whole bunch of wires going into the left-most plug.
You just gotta find it, strip a little bit and solder the wire from the gauge to the existing wire. Then just use electrical tape to seal it up all nice and youre good to go!

#14 ·
syrous said:
Lol...no worries, I had the same problem.

The red/white wire is coming out of the ecu (which is located under the passanger side glove box). The ECU has a whole bunch of plugs going into it. The red/white wire is among the whole bunch of wires going into the left-most plug.
You just gotta find it, strip a little bit and solder the wire from the gauge to the existing wire. Then just use electrical tape to seal it up all nice and youre good to go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.