Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
28,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a relative inherited an RSX Type S from a family member who had let the car sit in the garage for about 8 years - without the car ever moving, being started, or being maintained.

We're looking to get it up and running again (rather than repairing it and selling it) but I'm not too sure how we're going to go about this. I know we pretty much need to drain all fluids and replace them with new fluids, but I don't know about what other things may need replacement. I've looked at some guides online but they seem to mostly deal with barn find pre-fuel injection cars and I have a feeling that more things can go wrong in a newer car with more electronics. Anyone have any advice before we get started? The new owner doesn't have the time (or space; no access to a garage but only to an apartment parking spot, so there's not too much space to work) to replace the fluids themselves so I think the first step may be taking the car to a garage (or even dealer) and getting them to replace the fluids.

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would do all fluids , like you said . drop gas tank and flush is and do the fuel lines front to back with a flush. put a wrentch on the crank and see if the motors not seized .mite want to take out spark plugs and drop a little oil ontop of the pistons ,like half a cap full off the oil can ,while you are doing all the other stuff . , jack the car up put it on jack stands and make sure the brakes aren't frozen . if they are fix them .after you do all the gas and fluids , do the gas lines . gas turns to jelly line in a few years . I let a z28 sit for 3 and did what I wrote hear and it started . ended up needing a new carb but it ran . don't move it till you get the brakes fixed

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
As joel said above.

If you need to get it to a shop before any work can be done, trailer or tow it. I would not start it before changing fluids and flushing gas tank and lines. Else you'll just get a bunch of junk in the injectors.

If the emergency brake has been set all this time, I can guarantee that the rear brakes are seized/stuck since iron rotors rust--even the fronts may be stuck after all this time. Hopefully, they didn't set the brake.

I wouldn't worry about the motor being seized. The inside if the engine is coated in a film of oil and pretty well protected from the environment ... though I suppose whichever cylinder has its exhaust valves open may of had a rougher time of it in terms of exposure.

Take a close look at the tires. Rubber degrades and cracks over time. And if the car wasn't on blocks/stands, the tires may have developed a permanent flat spot. Modern tires are less likely to have these problems than back in the day, so you may be okay.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Also you should follow the wire harnesses around just to check and see if any rodents didn't chew on some wires. I've seen it happen a couple times actually and if it's sat for 8 years that's plenty of time for an animal to nest in there. If there are exposed or touching wires somewhere you could end up into some shit... One time it happend to a van that was sitting at our tech school for a few years we charged the battery and went to start it and the engine harness started smoking and almost caught fire.. After we looked around we noticed rat dropping all over the engine bay and a couple more chewed up spots...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
i would also drop and clean your oil pan. you dont want to be sucking up that oil/sludge

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
I would def pull the plugs and put a bit a bit of oil in all the cylinders... Let it sit for a little (drain and re-fill engine oil to pass the time) and then crank it a bit with a rag over the engine so the oil doesn't go everywhere.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I would def pull the plugs and put a bit a bit of oil in all the cylinders... Let it sit for a little (drain and re-fill engine oil to pass the time) and then crank it a bit with a rag over the engine so the oil doesn't go everywhere.
Crank with the plugs still out (in case that wasn't clear), as oil does not compress!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Can you post a pic of her :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts