Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· WOT shift foh lyfe!
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
for the love of god!!! i ran about 10 15.3's tonight just to get it down, and then on my last 4 runs, i snag 2 15.2's, a 15.1..... and a 15.008 @ 91.99mph. i swear that god doesnt want me to run 14's. i cant launch. thats it! slipping this goddamn clutch is such a pain in the ass and i cant do it! i ran 23psi in my front tires. after 1st gear, everything went awsome, but its that damn launch that kicks my ass everytime! i hit it hard, wait for VTEC, then my car feels like going fast. damn you VTEC!!!!!! WHY CAN YOU NOT MAKE TORQUE AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

· WOT shift foh lyfe!
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
anyone think something is wrong? what should i be running? my 60's aren't that bad, average was like a 2.3xx, best was 2.308. the 15.008 run had a 2.467 60'. my best mph was 92.05. best R/t this time was .711. this was my second time at the track.

my frist time i ran, my best trap speed was 92.28mph, my best time was [email protected] my best R/T & 60' were both in that run also, my R/T being a .6xx and my 60' being 2.404, with MAJOR traction issues.

the ES MM's are WELL worth their cost.

· Registered
144 Posts
chrisnick said:
injen SRI and ES MM.

Launch at 3,000 rpm and pound the gears.

hit second hard but don't speed shift it in case you grind
speed shift into third...if you don't know what I mean...think the following ::

"accelerate, tap, shift " while accelerating you tap the clutch and shift at the same time. Use your thumb and just a small portion of the rest of your hand to carefull "flip" the shifter up into third while still having about 25% throttle....it will sound like....errrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... instead of errrrrrrrrrr ehhh errrrrrrrrrr. Do the same for the third to fourth shift....but don't hit second..hehe

This technique will make sure you don't fall out of vtec while racing...

You should do a 14.8 with your current mods I'm sure. It just takes practice. Also put your SRI on ebay..and with the money that you get from it buy a used CAI from one of these guys that just got a turbo kit....

good luck :thumbsup:

· Back in Black
954 Posts
Hey chris nick.... i believe i met you on v6p..

here's what i do.
Front tires at 15psi.
launch at approx 3400.
pull the clutch up to the threshold point.

green light, feather it all the way up and slam the gas.

no problems so far with my technique...
only have a cai.

i don't believe you need mm's yet..

· WOT shift foh lyfe!
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the MM's no doubt helped me launch alot better. i can shift awsome, there's not a problem there. i speed shift into all the gears, but 4th and 2nd are starting to give me problems again. i had my tranny rebuilt once already, gonna probably take it back and tell them to do it again, or give me a new one since i have a warranty on it. it's never screwed me up on the track once, but sometimes 4th gives me some trouble when i try to put it in.

· LOL wut
4,870 Posts
haha forget drop the shortram...with the v2 i consistantly ran a 10.1-10.2 but when i switched to a cai i got a 9.653...this is 1/8th though...

· Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
666 Posts
pterribilis said:
....it will sound like....errrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... instead of errrrrrrrrrr ehhh errrrrrrrrrr....
Ahhhh, NOW I get it....that explains alot. :laughing:

I wouldn't be to upset, I have CAI, Hondata, exhaust, and drag radials, and I am having trouble with 14s. But thats been with the wrong spark plugs, and I've noticed a difference in the car now that I have the right plugs that feels like as big as the CAI and Hondata did. Seriously. Back to the track soon. Right now, the best thing you can do is get a set of tires to track on. It's all about the 60 ft., and the 60 ft. is all about the tires.

· Back in Black
954 Posts
naw im tellin you, i have the shittiest 60's yet i can still hit mid 14's

I think the best thing for you (chrisnick), is just.. Practice, practice, practice...

· Banned
7 Posts
yea my boy ran his stock type-s and he said he had the tires set at 27 psi and he launched at 3k but kinda slipped the clutch and his 60's where 2.8 / 2.7 his best run was a 16.4 @ 89mph .. he said everythign was good but his launches suck.. so a good launch is at 3400, feather the cluch and have tire pressure at whats 23?? or 25?? or what?
I heard launchin on the stock 04 tires sucks balls.. they do girp .. is that true??

· Back in Black
954 Posts
tires at 15 psi...

launches depends on your car.. ie: when my friend had the same mods, i can launch higher than he could...

anyways, basically, once you got fast shifting down (no i dont power shift, i just shift really quickly), its all about your launch.. once you get your 60's down to 2.4 you should be fine for mid to high 14's.

· Registered
1,313 Posts
vispre said:
tires at 15 psi...

launches depends on your car.. ie: when my friend had the same mods, i can launch higher than he could...

anyways, basically, once you got fast shifting down (no i dont power shift, i just shift really quickly), its all about your launch.. once you get your 60's down to 2.4 you should be fine for mid to high 14's.
15psi is really low....This is just another factor that makes me think your tracks timers are off. Your trapping at 98mph with just an intake and your tires are 15psi? :crazy: I would love to see you run those same times at moroso. Im not trying to bust your bubble or anything J, but your times just don't make any sense.

· Back in Black
954 Posts
APEXiTypes said:
15psi is really low....This is just another factor that makes me think your tracks timers are off. Your trapping at 98mph with just an intake and your tires are 15psi? :crazy: I would love to see you run those same times at moroso. Im not trying to bust your bubble or anything J, but your times just don't make any sense.

Definately no offence taken.

I'm not quite how the mechanics of it works, i just listened to tommy when he told me to deflate but it would seem to me that I am getting better traction since i can get more rubber to grip the road.

As for the times. I honestly highly doubt the timers are off. I mean they have gator nationals there.

As for running at moroso, well i'd probably have to go a few time before i could actually compare the two tracks. The first time i went to moroso, I noticed that the technique i used for launching yields different results at moroso.. For instance, the first 4 runs i kept bogging... launching at 3500!.

In my opinion i believe that the gville track is a lot better and i think if you guys could stay here for a bit and got used to it, you guys could get a lot better times. The acutal road is better and the climate and atmosphere is a lot more benign than to the conditions at moroso. I've only been to moroso once but i could feel the weather and it still feels like crap compared to the track up here.

as for making sense, I haven't been in the game as long as you have but i do know that some things don't make sense. For instance even after talking to reuben and john, i still dont get why your car only makes 180 somethin hp when you can pull on john. i mean heck, i can't believe my car made more power than some of the other ones out there with more mods like sacrifices car (hondata 4, etc) and why mario's car only made 2 more than me (race header).
however i still don't think my times and trap, etc are "out there". I believe they are well within do-able times.

· Registered
1,313 Posts
vispre said:
Definately no offence taken.

I'm not quite how the mechanics of it works, i just listened to tommy when he told me to deflate but it would seem to me that I am getting better traction since i can get more rubber to grip the road.

As for the times. I honestly highly doubt the timers are off. I mean they have gator nationals there.

As for running at moroso, well i'd probably have to go a few time before i could actually compare the two tracks. The first time i went to moroso, I noticed that the technique i used for launching yields different results at moroso.. For instance, the first 4 runs i kept bogging... launching at 3500!.

In my opinion i believe that the gville track is a lot better and i think if you guys could stay here for a bit and got used to it, you guys could get a lot better times. The acutal road is better and the climate and atmosphere is a lot more benign than to the conditions at moroso. I've only been to moroso once but i could feel the weather and it still feels like crap compared to the track up here.

as for making sense, I haven't been in the game as long as you have but i do know that some things don't make sense. For instance even after talking to reuben and john, i still dont get why your car only makes 180 somethin hp when you can pull on john. i mean heck, i can't believe my car made more power than some of the other ones out there with more mods like sacrifices car (hondata 4, etc) and why mario's car only made 2 more than me (race header).
however i still don't think my times and trap, etc are "out there". I believe they are well within do-able times.
Ok, well let me help you understand where Im coming from then. When you deflate your tires, you are sacrificing top end for traction. Usually, you try and find an equilibrium between the two, and 15psi is defiantly not the equilibrium. With that kind of tire pressure, and your only mod being an intake, I would say a 92mph trap would be good.....but your trapping at 98mph?

The timers could be off, doesn't matter how many national events are held there. How many times have you ran [email protected], and how many different days did you do it on?

Every track is different, so you having trouble at moroso isn't a surprise. You obviously have better weather up there too, but weather isn't that big of a factor. How cold was it when you ran?

As for my car and the dyno, I don't know what to tell you. You should only be using a dyno to measure gains. Last time I ran John, I was pulling on him pretty good. The only 2 I/E/Hondata rsx's that was have ever been able to run with me were Reuben and Duh, and that was a long time ago...The car is running much harder now for some reason (even before K-pro).

· Back in Black
954 Posts
APEXiTypes said:
Ok, well let me help you understand where Im coming from then. When you deflate your tires, you are sacrificing top end for traction. Usually, you try and find an equilibrium between the two, and 15psi is defiantly not the equilibrium. With that kind of tire pressure, and your only mod being an intake, I would say a 92mph trap would be good.....but your trapping at 98mph?

The timers could be off, doesn't matter how many national events are held there. How many times have you ran [email protected], and how many different days did you do it on?

Every track is different, so you having trouble at moroso isn't a surprise. You obviously have better weather up there too, but weather isn't that big of a factor. How cold was it when you ran?

As for my car and the dyno, I don't know what to tell you. You should only be using a dyno to measure gains. Last time I ran John, I was pulling on him pretty good. The only 2 I/E/Hondata rsx's that was have ever been able to run with me were Reuben and Duh, and that was a long time ago...The car is running much harder now for some reason (even before K-pro).

ok thanks for explaining it more clearly. Now i do understand.

Mentioning about the track's accuracy, I cannot speak for them because i did not calibrate it. But for some reason I HIGHLY doubt that they would be off.

When mentioning weather, i do put in to consideration humidity, temp, etc, so yes, it was really cold when i did run. I had to wear 2 sweaters in order to stop from being cold. :dontknow:

yes john did tell me about how you can pull on him so i'm still trying to read around but right now I can't figure it out myself.

But this i can tell you. I did deflate the 2 front tires to 15psi. launched somewhere between 3400 and 3700 and then i drove. I really don't remember much from the drive, you'll have to ask tommy who watched me that night but i do know that when i got my slips that night they, i did indeed run a 14.47 @ 98. That was perhaps the best night i have even ran since. Now the temperature is just sweaty as balls and it's not helping anyone's times.

but seriously, the team should make a time to come up here during winter and just try it out. I really like it, not sure if its just me becus im used to it or perhaps that it really IS a better track. nonetheless, you guys should give it a shot.

· Registered
1,313 Posts
vispre said:
ok thanks for explaining it more clearly. Now i do understand.

Mentioning about the track's accuracy, I cannot speak for them because i did not calibrate it. But for some reason I HIGHLY doubt that they would be off.

When mentioning weather, i do put in to consideration humidity, temp, etc, so yes, it was really cold when i did run. I had to wear 2 sweaters in order to stop from being cold. :dontknow:

yes john did tell me about how you can pull on him so i'm still trying to read around but right now I can't figure it out myself.

But this i can tell you. I did deflate the 2 front tires to 15psi. launched somewhere between 3400 and 3700 and then i drove. I really don't remember much from the drive, you'll have to ask tommy who watched me that night but i do know that when i got my slips that night they, i did indeed run a 14.47 @ 98. That was perhaps the best night i have even ran since. Now the temperature is just sweaty as balls and it's not helping anyone's times.

but seriously, the team should make a time to come up here during winter and just try it out. I really like it, not sure if its just me becus im used to it or perhaps that it really IS a better track. nonetheless, you guys should give it a shot.
Now that we Hijacked this thread :nervous: At least your understanding now. :thumbsup:

I consider all factors when I speak of weather, temperature in not everything.

So, you only ran those times on one night? What would you say you usually run, taking into consideration all the times you have been to the track?

I would like to make a couple passes up there, I missed out on last winter thanks to a bad tranny. :firemad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.