Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Old School
3,823 Posts
Check the hose adapter where it bolts to the pump. Where the metal hose is connected to the adapter is where it most likely fractured. It's a hairline fracture but fluid should seep out of it when the pump is running. My cure when mine broke...a new stainless line made from the OEM hose.

·
Old School
3,823 Posts
Just do this if you can't afford EPS. I've had this for about 1 1/2 months already. During the 2 weeks of down time I was able to research and talked to a few members and decided to get a revised OEM hose made. I'll post more later on this when I get back from work but it has to be one of the best mod to counter act the OEM flaw. This SS line does not rub the hood anymore but I'll go into details later.

Attachments

·
Old School
3,823 Posts
First I like to appologize on a the lag for posting up this power steering line modification. My PS line had cracked around the adapter area like everyone elses about 1 1/2 months ago. The problem is...since the supercharger positions the power steering pump in a higher position, when the engine rocks back and forth, it tends to tap the hood and thus creating stress on the hose adapter. Comptech and JR recommend bending the PS line down to reduce stress but it does not cure it completely. One mentioned to use JB weld or buy a new OEM hose, but the problem will still remain. 2 possible ways to rid the problem, EPS or new hose. I was close to getting a EPS setup but then it became too troublesome so I decided to use what I learned from ClubRSX and figure out a way to make this stainless hose work. One obvious fix is to angle the adapter down and using a skinner hose to clear the hood perfectly, no matter if one's not running motor mounts. Now Mateo has already created something like this but I wanted to make this more clear to the community.

As always, you will have to give up something to gain something. I'll go more into it tonight but I really do think this modification that I had instructed the machine shop to do is the most cost effective way to rid this whole PS line issue.

·
Old School
3,823 Posts
For those who are interested in a stainless PS line should know that there will be an obvious side effect to this. Because it's a stainless line, power steering noise will be more apparrent at low speed turns. This noise is a slight humm but nothing annoying. I would say having side effects from other mods such as the ESMM's is way worst. As always, for every mod we do there are some sort of side effect to it. However, I notice that over time the stainless line have gotten quieter, so I suspect that it might've "broken in". Those who are running 3.3 or smaller will notice that the blower noise does a good job cancelling out the PS line noise. My guess is that the OEM rubber hose supresses the fluid flow noise. I'd like to note that the benifits of having this modded line offsets the minor noise by a lot. No longer I have to worry about stress on the line, and no longer it touches anything in the engine bay that would tamper with its function.

For those who are interested in a modded line, please email me at [email protected]. Please note that I will need your stock line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.