Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i noticed i had a cel. i checked it using the paper clip. i had 6 long blinks then 7 short blinks.
67 so I was told it was

Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold.

Whats that? and what does need to be replaced?

Any inputs would happily appreciated. THanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anything, i hope its a simple secondary o2 than a new catalyist converter

·
dc5ab
5,842 Posts
i get the P0420 code pop up all the time. I just erase it with the OBD2 reader and continue on my way. one of these days I'll have to replace the cat.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i get the P0420 code pop up all the time. I just erase it with the OBD2 reader and continue on my way. one of these days I'll have to replace the cat.

Hey thank you, the cel just went away. Its definitely not urgent so ima just keep my money together when i have some left and keep my eyes out for CATs forsale.

yeah, I dont have a obd2 reader i just use the old trick i used to do with my honda. You can also erase th code by taking out a Fuse for a few minutes and put it back in, itll erase to.

THanks alot for the help people. by the way its a 178k milaged rsx-s, still drives like new

·
12 Volt Installer
970 Posts
When I got that code, it was due to a faulty catalytic converter. It was replaced under warranty. I don't know about the US, but here in Canada there is an 8 year warranty on it. You may want to check into it.

·
Boost Addict
873 Posts
i got this code with my high flow cat... i just cleared it with the tool and it never came back

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bump this but I have a question regarding this code that I was hoping you guys might be able to help with. I have emissions coming up and I have had this code for about a year now (actually it might be more. I think I did pass emissions after we cleared the CEL last year). My mechanic was suggesting that I get a whole new catalytic system if I wanted to pass emissions (well, with the price of Acura parts he said not to do it but that is a whole other story) as well as getting new o2 sensors.

Judging by what I have read on this the P0420 means either a faulty secondary O2 sensor or a bad cat. Since the car has 140k on it the warranty obviously isn't valid on this and Acura parts are out of the question (the cat itself was somewhere near $1700). My first question is should I just replace the secondary O2 sensor and see if that is the problem. I am assuming that if I replace the O2 sensor and it isn't the issue I can reuse both O2 sensors in a new cat and don't need to buy new ones (they are a bit expensive).

Secondly, if I need to replace the cat what size universal would I need to order? I know it needs to be welded on but $100 for the cat and then the labor sure beats the cost of a new cat from Acura. I'm just trying to make the most cost efficient decision on this car and since I'm not a car guy I'm not exactly sure what can and can't be done. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Sacked!!
2,031 Posts
Sorry to bump this but I have a question regarding this code that I was hoping you guys might be able to help with. I have emissions coming up and I have had this code for about a year now (actually it might be more. I think I did pass emissions after we cleared the CEL last year). My mechanic was suggesting that I get a whole new catalytic system if I wanted to pass emissions (well, with the price of Acura parts he said not to do it but that is a whole other story) as well as getting new o2 sensors.

Judging by what I have read on this the P0420 means either a faulty secondary O2 sensor or a bad cat. Since the car has 140k on it the warranty obviously isn't valid on this and Acura parts are out of the question (the cat itself was somewhere near $1700). My first question is should I just replace the secondary O2 sensor and see if that is the problem. I am assuming that if I replace the O2 sensor and it isn't the issue I can reuse both O2 sensors in a new cat and don't need to buy new ones (they are a bit expensive).

Secondly, if I need to replace the cat what size universal would I need to order? I know it needs to be welded on but $100 for the cat and then the labor sure beats the cost of a new cat from Acura. I'm just trying to make the most cost efficient decision on this car and since I'm not a car guy I'm not exactly sure what can and can't be done. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Have a shop check the o2 sensor or simply replace it and see if that is the problem. Our car only has 1 o2 sensor. (What many mistakenly call the secondary o2....)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was my Catalyst Converter. I replaced it by buying my friends Catalyst Converter off of his RSX. I was in the same situation. I needed to replace my CAT or get that CEL fix cause my tags were due. By the way, my RSX has seen 180k miles

Since then I gutted the "bad" CAT and using it now as a test pipe. Using the "DIY" defouler and my CEL has not went on.

·
Sacked!!
2,031 Posts
wow..... :shakehead

024 --> 36531-PND-A11 SENSOR, AIR FUEL RATIO 1 2002 RSX 283.25 226.60
026 --> 36532-PND-A01 SENSOR, MIDDLE OXYGEN 1 2002 RSX 275.53 220.42

Why are you shaking your head dipshit? The first sensor is not an o2 sensor. Its an A/F sensor. Calling it the primary o2 is the lingo used by backyard/internet mechanics. It purpose is fuel control. Not an oxygen content monitor. The second sensor is an 02 sensor and its purpose is to monitor cat effecincy by way of oxygen content...wow:thumbsdow

1 - 20 of 22 Posts