Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys... Monday I place the order for my Stage II. I think I'm going with the 60-1 and around 17 or 18 lbs of boost. I'll be 1/4 mile racing it on the weekends and I was wondering if you guys thought that the car could hold it without the blockguard/studs/gasket. I CANNOT afford ANYTHING to go wrong... what so ever. But, I can't spare the cash for the guard/studs/gasket right now, either. So I'm at a loss of what to do. Also, what oil weights are you running? Tranny fluid? Or any other info you think I should know... no matter how small. Thanks alot for all the help. -Anthony

·
Registered
438 Posts
For 17 to 18 psi of boost, you'll be safe without the block gaurd, studs, and head gasket. If you were to get those items, it would technically be a stage 3. So unless you plan to run more boost than 17, you won't need those items.

·
Registered
281 Posts
EternalRSX said:
For 17 to 18 psi of boost, you'll be safe without the block gaurd, studs, and head gasket. If you were to get those items, it would technically be a stage 3. So unless you plan to run more boost than 17, you won't need those items.
These items may not be nescessary but they are the smart thing to do when going stage 2. Things can go wrong (I melted a piston) , so if u are very worried about the well being of your motor take the proper precautions.They will be worth it in the long run :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
bozrahrsx said:
These items may not be nescessary but they are the smart thing to do when going stage 2. Things can go wrong (I melted a piston) , so if u are very worried about the well being of your motor take the proper precautions.They will be worth it in the long run :thumbsup:
Things can always go wrong...but those items will not keep you from melting a piston.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bozrahrsx said:
Damn, I'm really sorry to hear that... see this is what I'm afraid of. I cant afford for that to happen... Any idea of what led that piston to fail? And what are you doing about? Are you having to pay for it all to get fixed?

·
Registered
438 Posts
the main situation that leads to the meltdown of pistons is overboosting and going lean. So watch your boost and air/fuel gauge and you'll be fine. Block guard, etc, will not prevent piston melt down. Only you can prevent that.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Infamous said:
Alright guys... Monday I place the order for my Stage II. I think I'm going with the 60-1 and around 17 or 18 lbs of boost. I'll be 1/4 mile racing it on the weekends and I was wondering if you guys thought that the car could hold it without the blockguard/studs/gasket. I CANNOT afford ANYTHING to go wrong... what so ever. But, I can't spare the cash for the guard/studs/gasket right now, either. So I'm at a loss of what to do. Also, what oil weights are you running? Tranny fluid? Or any other info you think I should know... no matter how small. Thanks alot for all the help. -Anthony
why are you buying a stage 2 if you can't afford "for that to happen?" You KNOW your going to have problems with a turbo that hasn't been tested extensively. Don't you read the boards? Almost everyone has problems with the stage 1's, the stage 2's are bound to give you more problems.

·
Registered
281 Posts
EternalRSX said:
the main situation that leads to the meltdown of pistons is overboosting and going lean. So watch your boost and air/fuel gauge and you'll be fine. Block guard, etc, will not prevent piston melt down. Only you can prevent that.
I was not saying that blockgaurds etc., would prevent a piston melting.In those situations when a piston melts or breaks apart , it can be thrown around in the cylinder causing severe block damage.Those parts are in place just so you don't' ruin your whole engine.So instead of paying 3 to 4000 fo a new block , u could spend a quarter of that and get it fixed. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts