Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goals: To get a little more hp out of the car before Im done with it - Retain a mostly DD car easy streetability. Not looking to go into the motor, just the cams and valves.
02 type s
Current setup : DC shorty - megan testpipe - BC pro spec exhaust - aem V2 - BC grounding kit - CC stage 4 clutch - ESMMs

Things that WILL be added : KPRO - RBC with hondata gasket - CRSX RH or some other RH that will fit stock sway, kinda undecided but 75% on CRSX RH

AND SOME kind of cam and valvetrain setup

Ive been looking around on here all night on the cam setups and it looks like im looking at a stage 2 setup, but somewhere along the lines of me taking a too long break from the scene on here and not really keeping up with the cam scene in the first place Im confused. I have been reading but cant tell the difference beetween what cams need valvetrain upgrades and which dont.
Im looking for nothing crazy expensive, just a midrange setup. So if you guys would like to throw out some options I would really appreciate it, I have read the other FAQS, I understand how engines, cams, lift, duration work, but cant find much to help me except dyno charts.

The car will be having a compression check, and lots of other maintenance done soon, and the parts will be put on hopefully all at one time and then only drove to the dyno.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
as far as a mild streetable all motor setup goes, the crsxrh is good for it

when looking into which cams need valvetrain upgrades, usually the stage 2s and above need it, but try not to be focused on a "stage" number because some companies stage 2 cams are bigger than another company's, so you cant really compare by stages..

trying looking into kelford or blueprint, its not crazy expensive, and for springs/retainers just get supertech

·
Resident hater
7,647 Posts
kelford stage 1's if you dont want upgraded valvetrian. i'll be getting them whenever crsx has them in stock again.

·
Runnin n' Gunnin
1 Posts
I've got a Brian Crower Stg.2 vavletrain (cams, valve springs, retainers, seats), skunk forged valves, boltons, fully tuned with kpro program... Its my daily driver, I don't put on tons of mileage but runs great... It puts 271whp / 197 ft.lbs.

The valvletrain package, valves, kpro, together with shop labour for install, machining the head & dyno tuning cost me just shy of $5k. Not cheap, depends on how far you want to go of course but gives you an idea

G

·
If I were you, I would skip the cams and get a Wavetrac or Quaife LSD for the car, a true cold-air intake like the Injen unit, the CRSX/"Private Label" header, and then a K-Pro with an email tune from someone like Magnesium. And, I would get rid of that Stage-4 clutch while you are doing the LSD and go back to something like an Exedy organic unit or one of the full-faced Competition Clutch units. Keep your exhaust, do get the RBC, and the ground kit-thingie does not matter.

Streetability is more about traction, control, and driver interface with the vehicle than about just power figures.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been looking at the full cold air intake, Im thinking I can build my own for cheaper than I can buy one and just put my v2 filter on it.

The LSD is a bit far out of the range for me, I love them but as far as my transmission goes, Im really done with it persay at the moment. If I end up going back in there, im looking at a lighter flywheel and LSD definately.

I love the clutch, I got it forever ago on a group by from here and its really nice. Just a crisp feel when it grabs but at the same time its a no BS clutch. you either go or dont let it out.

The 5k option is a bit much for me money and modwise, if I was going to spend that i would go with a FI setup.

I understand the stage numbers and how they work, just so much has changed since Ive been out.

My pickle is: If I do cams, Ive got around 95 k on the car and Im wondering if I should just drop some stage 1s and go or go ahead and do some valvetrain work while Im in there already?

Im going to try to do this all at one time, but Im thinking about going ahead and getting kpro and getting familiar with it.

I can do the IM install myself, Just unsure of the cams, and unsure of the tune. How much cash does Magnesium charge to do a tune? ballpark?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question, if Im just going with stage 1 cams, is there any real reason to upgrade to the skunk 2 tensioner? Or just replace mine with an OEM part?

Also if Im remembering correctly, the timing chain itself is due at 100k, so im gonna go ahead and replace it while Im in there if that makes a difference.

·
Garrett
1,825 Posts
im going to throw something out there for you, you can do what you with what i say...

you have some "decent" supporting mods for a supercharger
why not try and find one used and throw that on with a tune your going to like how the car feels

and you'll get a little whine in ya :thumbsup:

either way GL

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats more along the lines of a perfect storm for me. Its not the money, but the worry of pushing my motor too much, I live a long way away from a tuner and Im 24, married with a house and all of that shit. everything changes when that stuff happens although im almost out of school and ill have an engineering degree so theres a chance but not likely. This is my DD other than my work truck.

I have a buddy that just graduated UTI and he reassures me that honda has restrained these motors for the rev and such to eliminate any chance of blowing from the factory, im just a bit leery of that and especially under any boost with stock internals being reliable.

·
1 up, 5 down
1,061 Posts
I've got a Brian Crower Stg.2 vavletrain (cams, valve springs, retainers, seats), skunk forged valves, boltons, fully tuned with kpro program... Its my daily driver, I don't put on tons of mileage but runs great... It puts 271whp / 197 ft.lbs.
The valvletrain package, valves, kpro, together with shop labour for install, machining the head & dyno tuning cost me just shy of $5k. Not cheap, depends on how far you want to go of course but gives you an idea

:bsflag:

·
How You DOOIN
3,410 Posts

:laughat: not tru with stock compression you will not reach 271whp/197 you will need at least 11.5.1 or higher alonge with sum rods and balanced and blueprinted crank. There are ppl on here that only just shy of 300 with a fully built engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts