Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating what to buy. I am looking at the JRSC Street or the Greddy Kit. They are both in my range of prices. What would be cheaper to have completly done (install, other party I need) and which would give me better performance? Also, is the JRSC that much more reliable than the turbo or is it how your take car of your car and how your drive?? Help me please. I am poor and 18 so I have a low budget, but I need more power lol!!

·
The Drone
1,398 Posts
if your talking power. then the greddy kit would be your best bet. a turbo also has a lot more potential than a supercharger has.
as for reliability with the supercharger you don't have to worry about boost spike because the supercharger gets its boost from pullies. but then again if the turbo is tuned right you wouldn't have to worry about that.
not being bias or anything I would go with whatever you like better. I heard the stage 2 jrsc will be pushing 330 to the wheels.
also hondata and greddy worked together to make a reflash that will supposedly add 30 more hp to the greddy kit.
its up to you.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Which would be cheaper to have completly installed? All I have now is a catback and V2.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Both are reliable if tuned properly. As far as comparing the roots supercharger and a turbo, they are completely different animals; you need to decide what kind of power you are looking for and what the uses for the car will be; along with what your ultimate hp goal is..

Turbos do require slightly more maintenance than a supercharger; they need to be rebuilt at a shorter interval than the roots blower as well..

As far as reliability and how you drive, there are things you need to be aware of when you have any kind of forced induction; as long as you are aware of these things and can diagnose problems right away, you should not have problems with either setup..

As far as a low budget, understand that in order to have a complete setup for a forced induction application, it does require you to spend money on parts other than just a basic bolt-on kit..As I tell everyone, build it right the first time and you will save thousands down the road..There are certain parts of a setup that can be done later down the road, just be sure your installer goes over the entire setup with you and explains any problems you may encounter from anything that you don't do right away..By doing this, you'll know what to look out for and may be able to diagnose problems before they become severe..

As for installation, we charge different amounts for different setups, as I'm sure most shops do; you need to decide what your goals are, contact the installer, and they should be able to go over installation costs for your particular setup will be..

·
Royale with cheese.
2,140 Posts
what do you mean by adding more than just a bolt-on kit? please specify

·
Registered
340 Posts
jphesterly said:
what do you mean by adding more than just a bolt-on kit? please specify
Depends on what setup he chooses..for either, a clutch is going to be necessary..the stock will hold for a while, but will not hold FI power for long if driven hard..

Also, you need to look at your suspension setup..there's no point in having the power if it can't be transferred to the ground efficiently..Wheel hop and excessive wheel spin are things that definitely need to be addressed in a FWD car..Excessive wheel hop can put strain on many parts of the vehicle; the motor mount on the engine side of the car next to the serpentine is not a strong point of this car..I've seen two N/A cars come in for supercharger installs w/this mount broken so far..Stress from wheel hop and aggressive shifting do not help this situation..Suspension is key to having a well-rounded setup, and is most often overlooked by low budget setups..

These are just some examples..

For the available turbo setups, proper fuel tuning is necessary to keep engine longevity to a max..also, knowledge of red flags to look out for with these setups are very important..Just want to make sure people aren't rushing into a FI setup without thinking every possibility over..Budgeted money goes very quickly when a setup is done correctly..The engine isn't the only part you need to work on..

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
bluesityper what would you recommend for a turboed dc5? What kind of suspension components would help getting the power to the ground?

·
Registered
340 Posts
RsxManJoe said:
bluesityper what would you recommend for a turboed dc5? What kind of suspension components would help getting the power to the ground?
I definitely recommend a full coil-over system, first off..The cheaper sleeve coilovers do not handle hard launches well and often bottom out excessively..True coil-over systems are specifically valved for the vehicle and have specific spring rates. Your motor mounts are also an area to work on to prevent the motor from rocking during hard acceleration, shifting, and launching..If you do have a lowered car, be sure your camber is adjusted properly for your particular setup (be it road race or drag race)..Excessive camber causes problems too..If you drive road courses upgraded sway bars are definitely beneficial..

When adding more than 100 hp over factory, these are areas that cannot be ignored..

·
[email protected] stock tires I/E
1,091 Posts
marcs23 got a JRSC installed for like 325 or something like that. I took a ride with him yesterday and he's got the street kit. It has a nice increase in power and he has it with a injen cai. The whine is nice and the pull is from like somewhere around 3500 and it pulls enough that you don't even feel vtec kick in.

·
Registered
340 Posts
dupontrsx said:
marcs23 got a JRSC installed for like 325 or something like that. I took a ride with him yesterday and he's got the street kit. It has a nice increase in power and he has it with a injen cai. The whine is nice and the pull is from like somewhere around 3500 and it pulls enough that you don't even feel vtec kick in.

We installed that Saturday.. I am glad to hear he is enjoying it :thumbsup:

·
[email protected] stock tires I/E
1,091 Posts
Everything looked good and it ran well. He told me that you're putting a Greddy kit on your car. Once you get it done I'd like to come see it and if the fit looks good and you can get it running right I might buy one of those an dhave you install it.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
if anyone needs a greddy install on the east coast let me know

·
Registered
340 Posts
dupontrsx said:
Everything looked good and it ran well. He told me that you're putting a Greddy kit on your car. Once you get it done I'd like to come see it and if the fit looks good and you can get it running right I might buy one of those an dhave you install it.
I'll definitely let you know as soon as we do the install..We have used Greddy on quite a few of our shop cars w/very promising results..My previous personal vehicle was around 350whp at 12psi w/a Greddy kit that we had tuned for street driving..The bad name this kit gets here is unwarranted..

We also offer machining services, from mild port/polish to complete race builds, so when you are ready, let me know.. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts