Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting the Greddy turbo kit. I want something i can drive everyday to and from work so i can't aford to have reliability issues. I would like to have something as close to "plug and play" as i can. I don't plan to install it and forget it i will keep up with oil changes and what not but the last thing i want to do is shorten the life of the engine...

I am not trying to build a 500whp Corvette killer, i just want little more punch when i step on it :D

Am i expecting to much from the turbo kit?

Will i need to drop alot more money in maintaining, upkeep and repairs?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and i live near Denver Colorado, so i think the CN kit is out of the question, and i believe it cost more... :dontknow:

·
ChemE
664 Posts
ryan_nm said:
Oh, and i live near Denver Colorado, so i think the CN kit is out of the question, and i believe it cost more... :dontknow:
Well a turbo is alot of work to maintain.....you have to watch and monitor everything very closely and be in tune with your car for a turbocharger to be for you....im willing to do that for my car and im just waiting for the Greddy kit to be legal in Cali and then ill be ready. Your car's engine will definetly hold up better and longer with new internals, such as, pistons and rods. It seems that a supercharger is more what your looking for. It adds about 40% of your current engines horsepower. Telling what power range your looking for would help... :thumbsup:

·
ChemE
664 Posts
you can go with the Greddy kit, but to maintain great reliability its probably a good idea to stay below 9 psi. Anything above that and you will probably decreasing the reliability. The Greddy kit can be tuned to be very reliable, but you need a good person to help you do the install. I think i have found a person that will help me thanks to arcticblue......Reliability is a major issue with a turbo kit and it can be obtained with hard work including upgrading your engine, good tuning, and constant checking.......in the end its up to you, but for your case i would say the supercharger is for you. :driving:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would the supercharger be more reliable then the Greddy kit at or below 9psi? :dontknow: (thanks for your help)

·
Out on bail
3,816 Posts
I've heard since turbo's add air to your motor they wear down the motor more rapidly in the long term. I guess at the stock 5psi though it wont be too bad.
On the contrary, if you are just looking for a decent kick, supercharger will probly be better for you. They take less to maintain and will probly never cause detonation if installed right the first time (then again turbos are the same way if taken care of).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
my 2 cents... seems like the route for u would be... probably hondata and some internals. i suggest maybe toda kit. go all motor. that's definitely plenty of power for u to play with. like you said, it wont be a 500 hp corvette killer, but anywhere from 220-250+ hp 4 cyclinder all motor is definitely in a class of its own. that's not to say that it won't need maintenance and constant care. probably less than a supercharger or turbo would. i personally think our cars were meant to be na track cars. but that's not to say that you cant turbo it and turn it into a dragster. but like i said before, its just my 2 cents. i dont have any personal experience with either an all motor, turbo, or supercharged rsx. do some research. figure out what would work best for you, your budget, your time, your knowledge/experience.

if it were me, i'd probably go with the turbo... because i love the sound of the bov and the look of the fmic gets me everytime :love: i'd definitely rather have the "ppssshhhtt" sound of the bov and the sound of the turbo spooling than the "whine" of a supercharger :thumbsup: on another note: i guess its can be concluded that i'd much rather have a 500 hp single turbo supra :eek: than a 500 hp supercharged mustang.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Greddy E-manage Programming

Do you guys know if the E-manage is pre-programmed for the RSX turbo kit? Plus what is max boost without out a boost controller?

·
Registered
264 Posts
if you want something reliable i would go NA. Maybe a Toda kit (http://todaracing.com/products/honda_k20a/engine_kit.html). Or a supercharger if you want it to be really punchy.

See a supercharger adds power all over the powerband because it spolls up with the engine. A turbo is spooled by exhaust gas which takes revs to accomplish.

If it were me i would go with the engine kit and a fake Blow off valve. Ok just kidding i would probably go NA just because it is more reliable in the long run unless you build your internals.

·
ChemE
664 Posts
ryan_nm said:
Why would the supercharger be more reliable then the Greddy kit at or below 9psi? :dontknow: (thanks for your help)
Well the supercharger has less parts to worry about breaking...and its easier to maintain which is what you want. With the turbo kit you have all the piping, the turbo itself ,BOV, internals and all the extra parts you have to watch to make sure your motor is running great and reliable. The supercharger is more reliable because it creates less horsepower at 9psi than the turbo. The supercharger itself basically takes air and sends it into your engine at a higher temperature than a turbo creating less power. Cool air into your engine creates more horsepower because it keeps it futher away from detonation. Although i haven't seen a supercharger running 9psi it could be done. A supercharger usually isn't recommended for high boost because of the hot air it puts into the engine thus creating a higher chance of detonation. I think if you look up JRSC dyno u might find the how much its putting at the wheels on whatever psi. I'm not sure about this but i don't think it has a piggy back ecu like the e-manage to run the engine, but i may be wrong. Good luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is helpping alot, thanks! But a few more questions...

The import shop here in town i have been going to said that the toda kit is really bad here because we are at or over a mile above sea level. i guess it doesn't run right in air this thin.

can the jackson supercharger use an intercooler? i know SOME cars have SCers with intercoolers.

If i went with the jrsc, what would i have to monitor while running? amount of boost and a/f mix? intake temp?

if i wanted to, could i lower my compression ratio and make it put out more boost or is 5-9psi all it can do, anyone know?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
sounds like you're leaning towards the turbo, or at least more interested in it than a supercharger. seems like you want an intercooler (for looks, maybe? :dontknow: ) and you want to boost higher than 5 psi. whether you go all motor, super, or turbo, you'll still have to buy or at least consider buying new tires, clutch, flywheel, lsd, etc. i say greddy turbo, ~7-9 psi properly tuned is plenty enough for you. trust me, the first time you hear that bov go off, you'll forget about a supercharger :thumbsup: the turbo does take more maintenance but it's well worth it :D

·
6,734 Posts
I will take this one:
No intercooler as yet for the JRSC.
You "don't" have to monitor anything. You are only pushing 4.8psi.
Don't lower the compression; infact raise it up .4 won't hurt it.
Hondata is working on some issues right now and 9psi is being tested. I am testing 7psi (WOW!!). JR is working on boost upgrades but not sure of a release date.

ryan_nm said:
The import shop here in town i have been going to said that the toda kit is really bad here because we are at or over a mile above sea level. i guess it doesn't run right in air this thin.

can the jackson supercharger use an intercooler? i know SOME cars have SCers with intercoolers.

If i went with the jrsc, what would i have to monitor while running? amount of boost and a/f mix? intake temp?

if i wanted to, could i lower my compression ratio and make it put out more boost or is 5-9psi all it can do, anyone know?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the turbo is interesting because of the amount of power it can put out. the super charger is interesting because it seems to be more trouble free... i get the feeling that that supercharger is not as 'upgradable' as the turbo, so after i got used to having a supercharger it don't seem like there is much else i could do. it can't push more boost ect;

i am not interested in an intercooler for looks, it fact i will probably leave my car mostly stock looking. other then wheels. but i thought the intercooler might be an option to add more power to supercharger.

the price of the 2 (super or turbo charger) seem to be rather close. but this is helpping! thanks again guys!

·
Registered
412 Posts
It REALLY sounds like your leaning towards trading your car in on something else man hah, both the turbo and supercharger are going to take some TLC seriously. I would say 95% of the time people go JRSC is because of it's reliability over turbo, I get the feeling you may be underestimating how your car supercharged will own you. There are plenty of upgrade options and continuous R&D ensures more to come man. When I have the money I'm going with a supercharger without a doubt, I'd LOVE the extra power of a turbo at the same lb but I have to be honest with myself and realize that I wont keep an eye on it properly plus I cant let my car go down so reliability is key.

-m

1 - 16 of 16 Posts