Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Grind on startup? Anyone? Help!

Tags
grind startup
25K views 280 replies 72 participants last post by  Againster 
#1 ·
Guys...getting an intermittent metal grinding sound upon startup. Happens after the car has been sitting for some time (1 day +). Anyone else have the same problem?

Acura couldn't duplicate, have to start the car to get it to them and I want to fix before I sell. Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

#6 ·
mine does the same thing, its actually just really cold weather makes the starter stick, and it only happens in really cold weather on cold startups, with a weak battery or possbily aftermarket flywheel but that is rare. i would say for sure really cold weather, you must be in the north somewhere right?

#13 ·
the cold weather definately did it along with maybe low oil or a dead battery cause the starter starts and tries to stop quickly and then goes again, making a weird grind sounds like this right

turn key.....motor cranks.....right when you let off of the key cause the motor started you hear grind?

if so the PA visit did it, its not permanent, believe me if your oil and battery are fine, its the cold weather that did it

#16 ·
I am going in for a service. So far, the list of items to check will include the following:

Oil level (this should be self explanatory, but you never know)
Battery
Engine mounts? (came up with this by looking at other posts)
Starter

Anything else while I make the list?

#17 ·
mine does that too in the morning but only during cold starts since i live in missouri its kinda cold here and it kinda makes a quick grind sound i also took it to acura they said they couldnt duplicate the problem of course. but right after the car starts the noise is gone and i know its not oil i just changed it and tranny never worked on just fluid changed

#24 ·
I kinda get something like this every once in a while. It usually happens after i let my car sit for awhile like overnight. But its more like a scratchin/scraping noise. And when it does happen i hear it for about 5 to 10 seconds right after start up. Also i noticed that if i rev a little it gets faster and louder. I never thought twice about it but after reading this thread i hope its not f'in up my flywheel. I just got my tranny rebuilt and a new clutch and flywheel put in a few months ago. :noes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.