Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question in the problems forum, but I'm not sure many base-model eyes peek over there.

It seems obvious that the type S has an issue with the m/t synchros, specifically 1-2. It seems this includes years 02 & 03 from what I can tell.

What I couldn't really make out is, with the base model having a slightly different transmission, do you guys run into grinding gears often? I'm talking about the instances when you're sure it's the synchros - when it grinds as you have the clutch pedal pegged to the floor. If you do, could you note anything you've done to the tranny/shift linkage (stock tranny fluid? STS? powershift a lot? etc).

I've seen one person mention it in the problems forum, but very infrequently. A couple times a year or something among those lines wouldn't worry me.

If it's as widespread and frequent as the type S though, I don't think I'd consider purchasing the car. Just curious if you guys have any experiences to relay. Thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think the base has the same problem, it sometimes does it at low rpms. But the thing is that its not griding or anything, it just feels a little notchy sometimes! After a while you don't even notice it, I don't know about the Type-s though!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
when ever i push it, i always grind 3rd gear unless i shift slow.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
punkdrum4ever1 said:
Even before the STS?

STSs were pretty risky back in the G2 integras, and I never got one. The synchros on mine without one (totally stock actually) would show their age once in a while on 1-2, but not enough to be alarming. According to others, many scratched quite a bit more - the synchros just couldn't put up with the shorter throws.

But the thing is that its not griding or anything, it just feels a little notchy sometimes! After a while you don't even notice it, I don't know about the Type-s though!
I would think consistent shifting technique and synthetic gear lube would help out on that. I drive a maxima which are notorious for notchy shifting, and I don't mind it actually. Once in a blue moon it will notch in the 1-2 such that I begin to release the clutch without it all the way in second gear, but I know that's on me, not the synchros :)

Thanks for your replies. Keep the experiences comin :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
punkdrum4ever1 said:
my 3rd grinds at high rpm to! damn thought mine was messed or i did sumthin.

·
Registered
200 Posts
When my motor blew, acura fixed 2nd gear grinding issues, although I had no grinding issues, they said they would fix it so I wouldn't run into it later down the road. They have a bulletin that advises them of the grinding issue, and most acura dealers will fix the problem as a courtesy fix aka free of charge.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2-3 reports are a tad disconcerting. Definitely gives me something to look out for when time comes for a test drive.

When my motor blew, acura fixed 2nd gear grinding issues, although I had no grinding issues, they said they would fix it so I wouldn't run into it later down the road. They have a bulletin that advises them of the grinding issue, and most acura dealers will fix the problem as a courtesy fix aka free of charge.
That's a little weird from what I've seen - the only TSB I was able to dig up so far was specifically for 02 type S's w/the 6-speed tranny. They didn't mention the base model. But hey, if they did it (and the engine replacement!) free of charge, that's sweet :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
mine grinds going into second all the time. Pisses me off

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
When i bring my car in for its first oil change (1200miles on it so far) im gonna bring this issue up and c if there is a resolution for the 5 spd. The car is pretty much brand new and shouldnt have a prob like this right off the bat.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
damn....i thought it was just me....i guess ill show the acura tech when im back up there, but i dont want to be like see. VROOOOOOOM VROOOOOOOOOOM :insert grinding noise: VROOOOOOOOOOM, I did that one time and the guy just says "it isnt that bad". Lol oh well it could be worse

·
Registered
547 Posts
When it's below freezing out and the car hasn't warmed up yet, getting the car into the lower gears while moving (2nd and esp. 1st) is damn near impossible. 1st is will grind from a roll even when rev-matching.

When the tranny has warmed up though, the only shift that is notchy is the 1-2 shift. I find that it helps if I keep my foot on the gas a bit longer before letting off to shift (or press in the clutch a bit earlier, which is roughly the same thing if you think about it).

·
Low Key
3,136 Posts
I had my 2nd gear replaced and now 3rd gear is grinding! Damn syncros! and the dealer says "are u driving ur car hard" cause they didnt wanna replace it! But it was covered under warranty so the ended up fixing it, but now havta go see what they say about 3rd gear!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
when i first got my base, i did grind a few times but it was due to the fact that compared to my '00 SI, the shifting felt a bit "notchy" but now it feels like butter.. i dunno, i guess i'm just lucky

:homer voice: doou!! i hope i didn't just jinx myself..

·
Registered
391 Posts
My gears grind sometimes shifting from first to second when the engines cold, but after it warms up everythings seems to be ok. Never had grinding in third though, but when I first got the card there were some times when i'd redline 2nd and 3rd refused to go in. Pissed me off at the time.... but after about 1000 miles or so it never seemed to happen again (18000 now)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RSXtreme703 said:
I had my 2nd gear replaced and now 3rd gear is grinding! Damn syncros! and the dealer says "are u driving ur car hard" cause they didnt wanna replace it! But it was covered under warranty so the ended up fixing it, but now havta go see what they say about 3rd gear!!
How long did they have it for repair? Did you get a loaner of any sort?

I wonder how much synthetic gear lube would help w/the prob - I'm almost certain that would help the issue for those who just experience it in the cold, which is encouraging.

By the time I test drive, it'll be warmer out. I'll probably try my hardest to see if I can get the synchros to complain :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
as for my grinding sound...temperature doesnt seem to be an issue. whether the car is cold or if ive been driving for hours...as long as I punch in and take to almost redline itll grind on the 2nd to 3rd gear shift. any other gears there is no problem

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mine begins from 4500 rpm up to red line with my 2nd - 3rd shift. The higher I rev the more of a grind ill get. The sync has got to be shot cuz most 2nd - 3rd complants are around 6800 and up.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts