Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, let me explain what the Ground Control coilover kit is. It is a set of sleeves, purches and 2.5 inch dia springs that allow you to adjust ride hight with a number of after market dampers such as Koni and Bilstien. Since a pic is worth a thousand words...Here is a pic of one installed on the front shock.

NOTE: this pic does not show the top seat in place....it is a gold peace that sits on the top of the spring and rides on the strut top bearing.

Now, there are a couple of advantages to the ground controle kit. The first is by going to a 2.5 inch dia spring, you gain access to a huge number of spring rates. Being able to adjust spring rates to the tires being used is a huge asset in suspensoin tuning. Another advantage is ease of ride hight adjustment. This can be used to get the right suspension geomitry or set corner weights with a scale set. The Kit also drops about 10 pounds in the front with the smaller springs and the removeal of the large steel spring purches.

There are a couple of ways you can order these kits. If you are going to use your stock struts, most retailors have the base kit for sale. This kit comes with springs that are just a little stiffer than the stock ones, this will allow you keep you stock struts a little longer as long as you do not "drop" the car to much. The next kit they have is the "autoX" kit. This kit comes with 370lb springs in the front and 515lb springs in the rear(remember stock is 249lb ft and 440lb rear). This is a "nice" kit for "hard" street tires and and a novice driver that is scared of throttel lift oversteer in turns.

For autoXers using larger than stock stickie(200 or lower tread wear numbers) tires,Ground Control offers custom spring rate kits. These can be had by calling them and telling them what spring rates you need with your kit. My advice as a good starting point for this is 515lb for the front and 850lb in the rear......A word of waring! This is stiff, real f-ing stiff but brake dive will be almost gone and there will be very little body roll. If you try these high spring rates with 300TW(tread wear) or harder tires, your tires will spend a lot of time sliding sideways as your tires will not have enough grip to allow your suspension to take the proper set( kinda like a racing gocart)....fun, but not fast....

Remember, you can order new springs for about 130 a pair if you wish to try another rate from GC

My current set up is 370lb front and 600lb rear and the highway ride is very nice. This is on 225/45-17 falkan 459 tires. I do not recomend this set up. The front purch is all the way to the top of the threads and the car is not high enough with the 6 inch tall spring. I am going to try a 400lb spring that is 8 inchs long to get the right LCA angle. I also want to raze the spring rate in the rear to about 700lbs

Ok, I have come across the question a number of times. The makers of springs have a system of marking their springs. For example, if you order some Ground Controle coilover sleves with the autoX springs, you will see this stamped on the sides of the springs...

Front spring:150.64.66
Rear spring :150.64.92

The first number is the lenght in mm, 150 mm = 6 inches(25.4mm to a inch)
The second number is the width in mm, 64mm=2.5
And the 3rd number is in kg/cm, so 6.6=6.6k. Now to to convert "K" to to lb/in you X it by 56. so 6.6k=370lb and 9.2 k = 515lb rate springs.

Hope that helps.;)

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt for updates:)

Reactions: Midnightracer59

·
Auto-X'd EP3
124 Posts
So everything in the pic comes from ground control like that? The black shock bottom isn't the re used stock bottom and steering arm piece? When you call ground control will they have Koni's available and you just give them the proper spring rates your ordering or do you have to send them seperate shocks? And i know i saw this last question somewhere before but what are the max spring rates that should be used on a set of rsx koni sports that aren't re valved?

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So everything in the pic comes from ground control like that? The black shock bottom isn't the re used stock bottom and steering arm piece? When you call ground control will they have Koni's available and you just give them the proper spring rates your ordering or do you have to send them seperate shocks? And i know i saw this last question somewhere before but what are the max spring rates that should be used on a set of rsx koni sports that aren't re valved?
No, their kits are just the sleeve, purches and springs.....if you get d-specs or bilstiens the sleeves just slid over them. The front konis are cartages, you have to gut your stock shocks( koni did this for people that wanted to run their dampers in the stock classes as the steering arm can not be replaced in stock classes)....you do not have to cut off the purches in the front but you should for weight and tire clearance.;)

·
576hp/506tq FTW
489 Posts
wow... i guess i'm oblivious to the suspension forum... nice read... very interesting... ttt for a nice lil read...

·
I lurk
855 Posts
kinda off topic, but have you looked into the mugen front damper joint brackets for the GC/Koni set-ups? for $850.00 im asuming its not worth it for a street car, but if your into racing your car, its an option to gain camber

"Mugen's Front Damper Joint Brackets are available in three camber settings: More, normal and less negative camber. This allows you to order the correct piece based on how your suspension is set up which results in a better handling car."

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Good information there Mustclime. I plan on going with the hardcore auto-x setup with the 515lb fronts and 850lb rears. I'm fully aware that this setup will rattle my spine, but all in the name of speed. Not to mention my car probably won't see too much daily action anymore.

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good information there Mustclime. I plan on going with the hardcore auto-x setup with the 515lb fronts and 850lb rears. I'm fully aware that this setup will rattle my spine, but all in the name of speed. Not to mention my car probably won't see too much daily action anymore.
anything less than hoosers are going to a wast imo. For a dd tire combo you would be better with 400lb front and 600-650 rear imo.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
anything less than hoosers are going to a wast imo. For a dd tire combo you would be better with 400lb front and 600-650 rear imo.
Ah i was just going with what you were saying with wider stickier tires. I'm running the 225/45/17 Bridgestone RE01 with a tread rating of 140. Those are my daily tires. However i will take this all into consideration.

400lb fronts
650lb rears

·
Ur Daddy!!!
463 Posts
this is some very good info!!! what if i was gonna slam my car and go with some falken rt615. what spring rate would most likely be the best considering the car is a daily driver and never sees the track

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is some very good info!!! what if i was gonna slam my car and go with some falken rt615. what spring rate would most likely be the best considering the car is a daily driver and never sees the track
Well, I put togather a thread on slaming the ep a while ago.....

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=565170

I do not recomend using the GC kit for slamming....you have to find dampers that are going to live through constant bottoming out.....:(

·
Registered
170 Posts
bumpin' this up from the dead, musty - is there a reason you stopping running GC/koni and started running a-spec?

gc with custom linear spring rates seem like a nice first step on stock dampers, then save up for bilstein/penske/ohlins/etc...

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bumpin' this up from the dead, musty - is there a reason you stopping running GC/koni and started running a-spec?

gc with custom linear spring rates seem like a nice first step on stock dampers, then save up for bilstein/penske/ohlins/etc...
wife has a bad back and we take my car on vacatons/ going out to eat.....If you want to tune your suspension with in 9/10th of what you can get out of it...the gc kits with custom springs are the choice....the question is how far do you mod to....I have seen many people mod their cars to the point that they are pretty much undrivable as a dd. Is that what you want to do? If you want to set up something that will shine on track days but beat you dd like a $10 dollar hoe....go to the autoX section and read steves barless setup that is stickied there.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Im reviving this thread again. Even though its been 2 years. Musty, please help me. I wanted to get my Koni/GC with AutoX setup (370 Ft and 515 Rr). But looking at your other thread with the motion ratio, you suggested SF difference between front and rear should be .15-.2Hz (higher in the rear). I calculated that the autoX setup will give me SF something like 1.93Hz front and 1.92Hz rear. The difference is practically 0. I know this is a popular setup, but it contradicts with your earlier statement. Can you clarify this for me?

·
Registered
179 Posts
hey guys i got my ground controls for oem shocks im ready for new shocks i would like to get the koni yellows but would need an adapter kit? or should i go with the aspec shocks would those fit my ep3 ground controls??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Im not 100% sure about this but i believe you should not sepearte A spec's shocks from the springs. they are designed and built to work with each other.. You should just get Koni and pair them up with your springs.. You only need the adapter kit (sleeves) if you want to make the ride height adjusment... Koni/GC setup is super popular (hence the thread) but some work is needed to modify front struts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts