Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was driving on the freeway, an idiot in front of me thought it was funny to spit his gum out of the window. The gum hit my driver door not as a piece, but as threads (like spiderwebs. I dont know how that happend.). I have already tried to peel it off, gently scrape it off, gently rub it off, carwash, as well as cursing at it in hope of it coming off. Most of the gum-threads are gone, but there is sticky residue that just won't come off(even after car wash). Does anybody have ideas as to how to remove gum/gum-residue w/o scratching the clearcoat?

Thanks!
 

·
Yes, thats my email.
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
Goo gone, alcohol or nething like that will disolve the stickiness. And by alcohol, I mean rubbing alcohol, vodka/beer/etc... wont cut it and will probably just make your car more sticky.
 

·
i ❤ macro.
Joined
·
2,252 Posts
Gum tends to harden and break apart when it's cold. You wouldn't have had this issue in the winter. Perhaps you can park your car in the shade (so the paint doesn't get shocked from temperature difference) for about an hour and apply some cold water. The gum should just break off. Or wait till it's dark out. You might be able to rub some ice onto the areas, but make sure the surface is clean (excluding the gum of course).
 

·
LeftyLoosey-RightyTighty
Joined
·
482 Posts
nonono.... Try kerosene. It wont strip the paint and it will defnitely remove shit like that...... I tried it before and it worked. Just thought you give it a try. just a little though not too much.Worth the risk i think if nothing else works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
arcticbluetype-s said:
nonono.... Try kerosene. It wont strip the paint and it will defnitely remove shit like that...... I tried it before and it worked. Just thought you give it a try. just a little though not too much.Worth the risk i think if nothing else works.
Yeah, just burn it off! :drink:

I like the idea of cursing at it and hoping it will go away ducking its head in shame.

-Carl
 

·
i ❤ macro.
Joined
·
2,252 Posts
Spent198 said:
Yeah, just burn it off! :drink:

I like the idea of cursing at it and hoping it will go away ducking its head in shame.

-Carl
LOL, pour some gasoline on it while you're at it. Just make sure not to light a match. :laughing:

(This was a joke, of course, and in no way inteded to be taken seriously).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
EternalBlue said:
LOL, pour some gasoline on it while you're at it. Just make sure not to light a match. :laughing:

(This was a joke, of course, and in no way inteded to be taken seriously).
I think you should try a brillo pad covered with liquid citronella. This way, you can remove the gum and possibly avoid future bug splatter!

-Carl
 

·
i ❤ macro.
Joined
·
2,252 Posts
Spent198 said:
I think you should try a brillo pad covered with liquid citronella. This way, you can remove the gum and possibly avoid future bug splatter!

-Carl
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I think that Peanut Butter, or Ice would probably be your safest/best bet, I myself use peanut butter to get gum out of anything,furniture and hair especially. . . I babysit, and little kids with gum just dont mix!! haven't had to get it off of a car yet. . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
Chase the gum chewer down and flick a lighted cigarette in his window, the jerkface. BTW, WD-40 followed by a wash & wax should do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well. rubbing alcohol worked pretty well and took off all of the gum....after much rubbing. TOO much rubbing. now i have these little areas of scratches all over my door. They look like wax before you wipe it off. (cloudy-looking) But go up close and oh my god. they are TONS of little scratches! :( x_X :jigglemad im so angry. I think i want the gum back on. dangit. Will Scratch-X or z5 (zaino swirl remover) take off or hide those scratches?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I would use Goo gone and right after that, I would put a thick coat of wax on that area, give it a sec and take it off. Trust me, those little scratches would go away
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top