Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thought of painting my stock RSX wheels Gunmetal,since i have no source of income coming right now :jigglemad In your opinion,does it look tacky or cheap?I already have a DIY JDM headlight and a DIY red vinyl taillights. ..any opinions are welcome:thumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
it looks good if done profesionally but a DIY most likely would look tacky.....

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
Just b/c you DIY doesn't mean it is going to look tacky....plenty of people have done DIY jobs and had them turn out great. Don't jump to conclusions until you have seen pics.

I don't have my OEM wheels anymore, but I painted my 18" S7's from white to gunmetal a few months ago. I think they turned out great, and people that saw them thought I bought them that way...couldn't even tell they had been painted. Here is a pic of my car:

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
I used 3-4 coats of DupliColor High Performance Wheel Coating and another 2 coats of DupliColor Wheel ClearCoat. The entire job for all 4 wheels took about 10+ hours, so be prepared to dedicate an entire day/weekend to the job. If you do a search, there should be quite a few write-ups on how people went about doing the job...I think I even did one myself.

Another upclose of the rim:

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
One more shot of the whole car, taken about 2 weeks ago:

6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
soccerman002 said:
Just b/c you DIY doesn't mean it is going to look tacky....plenty of people have done DIY jobs and had them turn out great. Don't jump to conclusions until you have seen pics.

1st of all i didnt jump into conclusions...2nd of all..nice whip:laughing:

·
Time for some yum yums...
344 Posts
Gunmetal rims look sweet on SS. Then again, I might be a little biased. :D Post pics when you finish and put them on your car. While your at it, paint your calipers too. I painted mine flat blk. Looks much better now.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
the only thing you have to worry about is when you have to get new tires,once they strip the old ones off,its gonna rub some of the paint off the lip around it, so then you have to re-paint them again

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
DIY powder coated wheels usually look better than OEM or aftermarket wheels... Assuming you get them powder coated at a shop that knows what they are doing.

6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i really like em gunmetal colors,my previous Si's were rockin'em..thanks for evrybodys input,ill go ahead and do em now:thumbsup: :spin:

·
No More Broken OEM Fogs
2,126 Posts
soccerman002 said:
One more shot of the whole car, taken about 2 weeks ago:

soccerman002,

WOW! That looks teeits. I would say that looks teeits for a homejob DIY but it doesn't matter, it looks great regardless.

ShoktongVtec,

Just my opinion:
Gunmetal looks great on SS as long as its not too flat. by defenition gunmetal has a different color tint (almost opal) other that just flat black. perfectg's rims look a little too flat for Gunmetal to me. That is just my opinion and if you like that look you should and will go for it. I really like Soccerman002's. I love my G-Racing rims but if you can't spend money go the way of Soccerman002. Again, just mt opinion.

6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ive always loved the DSM color,when i had my Blue Si,the 01 Mustang came out w/ the similar color and the Mustang GT came with the polished lip gunmetal wheels,and i thought it looked hot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts