Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.

After sacrificing my Saturdays, working ruthless hours moving stuff and mopping the floors at a 99 cent store, i finally saved up enough money to buy a CAI. I decided to buy Injen because of all the positive comments I've read through various threads, but I have a couple of questions.

How hard is the installation? I've read comments saying it's a piece of cake, and others saying the instructions aren't clear, only getting it right through trial and error. Apparently experienced modders found it very easy. I know this is a very general question, but I have NEVER done anything to my car before. I'm 17 years old with no experience with modding cars. (the only things I have done are change headlight bulbs and batteries lol) So with that said, should I just take it to a professional? At the same time, I do want to learn and need to start somewhere...

For my next mod (maybe i'm thinking too far ahead), I plan to get the greddyevo2.
But I should make another thread once I come up with enough money =P. In fact, I'm at work right now as a secretary for this afterschool education center =)

Just some background info:
I drive a 2004 RSX - S with 50k miles on it
Bought it used in January of this year
Color is pearl white, with factory spoiler
3rd gear grinds, warranty is expired so i plan on changing tranny fluid, but i guess I need to take that to a professional as well.
the owner before me changed the pedals to metal ones and wide mirror

he also changed the stock h1 headlights to h3? can someone explain to me the purpose of this?

Sorry such a long thread with off topic questions!
Thanks in advance tho

·
gone
10,236 Posts
well the cai is a painstaking process when you first do it. itll take you a couple of hours for your first time and it depends if youre mechanically inclined or not to understand instructions or to say if its easy.

i would say try the install yourself and dont take it to somebody else because if something goes wrong then you wont know how to fix it and end up spending more money for him to fix his OWN mistake if you know what i mean. try it yourself if you have some tools. the tools you need will be very basic like sockets ratchet wrenches and screwdrivers.

for your next mod i wouldnt go with an exhaust. if anything go Kpro (if you plan on modding a lot) or a race header (depending where you live) if youre looking for power
if youre looking for handling a good set of tires would be a good place to start

transmission fluid is easy. if you can change your oil, you can change your transmission fluid. I use Redline MTL and its worked great. Got rid of all the notchiness and the grinding for me.

The headlights i have no idea about.

happy modding

i have no clue about the headlights

·
Member Master
2,926 Posts
good luck and happy modding my man! just remember, once you start, you cant stop. And youll never get that money back you spent in mods. ever. Something to think about.

·
do a barrel roll!!
662 Posts
good luck, in the future i would suggest you search the forums before starting a new thread, there are plenty of threads out there that have all the info you need, and dont start a new thread each time you save up enough money to buy something. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the cai is a painstaking process when you first do it. itll take you a couple of hours for your first time and it depends if youre mechanically inclined or not to understand instructions or to say if its easy.

i would say try the install yourself and dont take it to somebody else because if something goes wrong then you wont know how to fix it and end up spending more money for him to fix his OWN mistake if you know what i mean. try it yourself if you have some tools. the tools you need will be very basic like sockets ratchet wrenches and screwdrivers.

for your next mod i wouldnt go with an exhaust. if anything go Kpro (if you plan on modding a lot) or a race header (depending where you live) if youre looking for power
if youre looking for handling a good set of tires would be a good place to start

transmission fluid is easy. if you can change your oil, you can change your transmission fluid. I use Redline MTL and its worked great. Got rid of all the notchiness and the grinding for me.

The headlights i have no idea about.

happy modding

i have no clue about the headlights
Well, I guess it's a good idea to try it for myself.
I live in CA and the emission laws...yeah
I haven't really researched headers yet, but all I know is that DCRH are not carb legal =/
About the mtl, i saw a dyi with pics someone posted up and it looks really complicated

good luck and happy modding my man! just remember, once you start, you cant stop. And youll never get that money back you spent in mods. ever. Something to think about.
hahaha, wow i never thought of it like that.
i'll see how things go after the intake :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont CAI only cost like 200 bucks? how much u make an hour 1.50?
well around 300 including the hydroshield which i'm gonna buy
and i plan to use only 1/2 or of the money i earn on the car
because i need $ for other things in life
i have some more now js didnt get my paycheck yet, and 1/2 of that money is going into my next mod
and i make minimum wage

·
on the grind
383 Posts
first thing you need to get if you're planning to mod or work on your car is tools. If you have the right tools and a basic 100 ish piece tool set you can do a lot of things including the cai install easily. Hydraulic jacks also make the job a lot easier and helps a lot especially with tranny fluid. there is a lot of helpful DIY threads that you should search up that will help working on your car much easier.

·
No Longer Blown...
3,429 Posts
Removing the bumper and battery can be a bit trying when this is your first mod, I'd say have someone around to help you out!

·
2 doors > 4 doors
50 Posts
i just did the cai install when i went from sri to cai. i have some experince with basic bolt on mods and it wasnt that difficult. i made the mistake of doing it at 7:00 at night so i had to finish in the dark, but other than that its not hard. first make sure you have proper tools. i think all you need is a screwdriver, maybe a ratchet, and a razor knife to cut the fenderwell, but i might not hurt to invest in a small tool kit if you are going to be doing other mods/maintenence. the tricky parts-->first search for removing the bumper, and try to break as few of the clips as possible (you will break some). next take out the battery and find the piece of the battery tray you will have to bend out of the way (i did it with my hand, its not hard). the last tricky part was trying to figure out where to cut the fenderwell without destroying it (goodluck, just cut a little at a time). oh, and make sure when your putting the bumper back on all the black plastic pieces under the car match up properly (not fun in the dark, lol). i would give yourself a few hours to do it and take your time, you can handle it. have fun modding, its addicting.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats!! It shouldn't be too hard to install. Browse the sites and look for the DIY Forums..

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
dont CAI only cost like 200 bucks? how much u make an hour 1.50?
who cares how much he makes. Fact is the kid busted his ass and deserves it. That's more than I can say for most members on here who's mommy/daddy spoonfeed em and give em free shit

props for EARNING your mod TS. Just take it slow w/ the install and you'll be fine. Maybe get to know some local members if there are any and have them do it with you. IT may seem complicated but it's not bad at all. We all gotta start somewhere:thumbsup:

·
HONDA PACT
1,867 Posts
if its your first mod and never really ever modified a car before then i would set aside 2 hours for the install. where are you located, im willing to help out if you need a hand.

·
ciao-su!
7,796 Posts
you should go ahead and do it yourself

cai was one of my first mods and i did it myself. it took me quite some time with a friend because we ran into a few complications (nothing major, usually things that wont budge or fit exactly)

congrats on the car and the cai stuff

i didn't get a header because of ca emissions. i know most of injen's cai's are carb approved, so i'd look to see if your cai comes with a carb sticker.

have fun and take things slow. try not to rush through the install. read a few different DIY guides on here and try to get a good understanding of what you're gonna do before you actually do it. when everything is taken off/opened up, you should have a good idea about what you're doing. i've done several installs on my own car and i've never done anything prior.

like what someone else said though, make sure you have some decent tools. the right tools will make everything much easier. you don't need much for a cai install though.

good luck

·
Boooosted
716 Posts
all i can say is...

install CAI first and then do the tranny fluid change after, itll give u more room to inject the tranny fluid in with the stock airbox out of the way.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
i have some more now js didnt get my paycheck yet, and 1/2 of that money is going into my next mod
and i make minimum wage
hydroshield? is useless, save your money.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i installed mine sunday took 2.5 hours make sure to have a drill handy and a sharp blade lol it hurts to install something that you have to cutt and drill parts of your car or you can bend the brackets i just drilled them

·
Jimbo's Cowering Employee
4,131 Posts
and i make minimum wage
C'mon son! Do you really think you need a hydroshield in Cali?!?! Don't waste the money on it. Just get the intake, great choice BTW. I've heard a lot of great stuff about it.

The CAI will be harder to install then the exhaust. Catbacks are very easy. CAI requires modding the car a little bit. Just make sure you have the basic tools (sockets ranging from 8mm to 17mm, and screwdrivers, maybe some pliers) Those do tons of help around all areas of the car; oil changes, strut tower bars, underbrace, rear bars, seats, carpet, doors, speakers... All the main things people work on.

Go slow and pay attention. Take your stock box off first and put it back on... Was that so hard? Just go slow and have fun. :thumbsup:

It's totally worth it though

·
Bańned
12,108 Posts
Well, I guess it's a good idea to try it for myself.
I live in CA and the emission laws...yeah
I haven't really researched headers yet, but all I know is that DCRH are not carb legal =/
About the mtl, i saw a dyi with pics someone posted up and it looks really complicated

hahaha, wow i never thought of it like that.
i'll see how things go after the intake :D
no header is carb legal in cali. i say try the intake yourself, its a good learning experience and the same applies for the tranny fluid. btw everyone is right, you dont need a hydroshield in cali and lastly... CONGRATS =] a cai is the best mod for the car =P

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.