Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
EFI Tuning Professional
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hardcore Automotive k20a3-34whp max gain and 48.8 ft/lbs max gain

Stock vs. tuned with Hardcore Automotive's try-Y equal length header, aem cai and Hardcore Automotive's 2.5" exhaust

We actually made 158.9 and 144 tq, but i forgot to save it on the dyno. C25a1guy has the photos, but you guys get the drift

Both stock and tune were on 91 octane. 1500 ft elevation

Overall, the average gain in power was 25whp and 20 ft/lbs of torque. I must say, i drove this car after, and it's very fun to drive with the linear power band.

Also, the reason we didnt dynojet this one is because the owner has a very aggressive road race alignment, which will lower dynojet numbers drastically

This header will be re-designed specifically for the type-s and re-tuned

Mikey

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
Will you keep a batch for the base RSX? Those are some nice numbers.

·
Playground Legend
1,205 Posts
nice numbers. I dont know if this has already been asked in one of the other threads that you have started about this header but how would this be compared to the DCRH? Is this header ceramic or SS? I might consider selling the DCRH and getting one of these

·
N/A to go please...
3,847 Posts
Very nice results, Mikey. :thumbsup:

Peace

WhiZ

·
EFI Tuning Professional
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Novice: That's what we made this for, to see big gains with a certain setup. I cannot mention pricing here, but you can pm me for more details on the header

Swinger: This header was made out of mild steel, since it was a prototype. Now that the final design works well, we now offer both in mild with a sterling or black coating and stainless. However, you will require an aftermarket type-s exhaust or a base with extension. (some sell extensions for 40 bucks). This header requires 2.5" i.d. exhaust piping for maximum power.

Chunky: Yes, stock was done using the stock program and the cai, header and exhaust with our custom full tune that will be provided with the purchase of the header

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Those numbers seem low for a stock K20A3 on a dynapack.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
HardcoreRsxS said:
Chunky: Yes, stock was done using the stock program and the cai, header and exhaust with our custom full tune that will be provided with the purchase of the header
where was VTEC set at on the "stock" program? the low end on that dyno looks REALLY strange. almost like it's got a 4000rpm vtec changeover. . .

and i've never seen a stock k20a3 dyno less than 135 on a dynapack (most are in the 140 range) here in GA. and we're fighting elevation, heat & humidity. Looking at the dyno again, I'm wondering how it made less than 120whp on a dynapack.

·
Need Sleep
3,523 Posts
80+K miles on the engine. That's how.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
C25A1guy said:
80+K miles on the engine. That's how.
at 115k miles my motor put down 149hp on stock cams with i/h/e. I've since tossed that motor in favor of one with 40k miles, and it makes 155hp (6hp more, same i/h/e). This is all on a dynojet. On a dynapack, the motor would have made more HP. Point is, at 115k miles, the engine was still not 15hp down from the normal range for a k20a3 motor, it was about 6hp down give or take.

I really want to know where the VTEC was set at for the baseline. the curve just doesn't look right. I've never seen a base RSX with that anemic of a bottom end.

·
Need Sleep
3,523 Posts
I guess. I havne't seen many stock base dynos, so I really can't say

·
K-Series Enthusiast
801 Posts
our dynapack reads really close to the dynojet.

Also, i used the stock base calibration that was provided with kpro. Nothing was touched on the program and all stock parts were put on

I also havent seen any base stock dyno's

That big jump in power is the dual intake runners coming on, btw

Mikey

·
EFI Tuning Professional
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
chunky, there is also a big difference with the ep3 head and intake manifold compared to a dc5 a3 motor

Mikey

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
kickinit said:
our dynapack reads really close to the dynojet.

Also, i used the stock base calibration that was provided with kpro. Nothing was touched on the program and all stock parts were put on

I also havent seen any base stock dyno's

That big jump in power is the dual intake runners coming on, btw

Mikey
the butterfiles for the secondary do not result in that huge of a spike. I've seen several base RSX's dyno'd and this dyno just looks bizarre.

check this for reference:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTY2MzUyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

^^^ stock 02 base 5spd dyno. from this thread:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=280157&highlight=dyno

I even found some of the guys that read low on dynapacks, but they still had healthy low end torque.

http://webdisk.berkeley.edu/~joverman/030505dyno.JPG

from this thread

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=4563250#post4563250

anyhow. . i'd probably try to get some other base rsx's to come dyno just to see if something is up with the car or the dyno b/c something is definitely funky with the sub 5000 power on that motor.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
HardcoreRsxS said:
chunky, there is also a big difference with the ep3 head and intake manifold compared to a dc5 a3 motor

Mikey
word, my a3 dyno'd at 147 stock on a dynapack. I realize that base rsx's dyno lower. but my observations have always shown a large bump in torque sub 5000 (when the intake manifold is using the longer airpath) a dip just before 5000 rpm and then another hump after 5000rpm when the short airpath opens.

Your motor is totally missing the lower bump on the stock dyno. any chance the butterfly could be sticking open?

*edit*

the head castings & cams are identical. the manifold is indeed where the biggest difference lies.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts