Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want LED headlights and I've been looking around, reading, watching, and reading some more. I found a video on the tube of you from headlightrevolution that displayed 15 different LEDs and looked at their brightness and beam pattern in a reflector housing (I think it was a pickup truck of some sort). In this video, there was a clear overall winner; the Supernova v.3 LEDs. They use the ZES chip that apparently is really small and so it is able to mimick a halogen bulb very well (hence, why it had a great beam pattern). It uses the braided metal mesh heatsink design for cooling.

The bulb that they were testing was an H11 (I believe that's actually the RSX's foglight bulb) and it was in some pickup reflector housing. I would ASSUME that the results should be, more or less, just as great with the H1 version of Supernova's v.3 LED in an RSX reflector housing since it MIMICKS a halogen bulb. That would mean, theoretically, that it SHOULD (but obviously not neccessarily) work just fine. But because the world just doesn't work like that, I wanted to check if anybody here has tried them in their RSX and if so, how was the beam pattern?

Failing the H1 Supernova v.3 LEDs, are there any other alternatives to having LED headlights in the RSX? Are there custom headlight housings that have different bulb mounts or even headlight housings with LEDs built into them, or anything at all?

In case you're curious about why I want LED lights, it's not because of the look or because they're brighter (those are just a bonus), it's because changing the bulbs in the headlight is a much bigger PITA than it needs to be. I dropped no less than 30-40 f bombs the first time I tried while trying to feel out the little latch and no less than 10 f bombs the last time (it was obviously easier after doing it once, but still irritating). So really, I just don't want to have to replace a bulb ever again, if I'm lucky, or at the very least several years.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well...I guess if nobody else has within the next 2-3 months, I'll buy them and see how they are and report back here for anybody else that might be looking into it. But I'll have to figure out how to test the beam pattern! Not too big of a deal, but I don't know where I'd do it (I believe you need a flat and level surface with a clear wall that you can shine your lights on from a certain distance...and I don't know of a spot like that :(. but I'll find one if I end up getting them!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've maintained a consistent level of very broke and convinced myself not to buy them after all lmao....sorry >.< I had completely forgotten about this thread and there has since been a newer version of the super novas. IF I do buy them, then I'll hopefully remember this thread and report back but *looks at the date* phew...that's been 1.5 years about now haha. Anyway, a thousand apologies for letting everyone down! :\

OH yeah, I also was frustrated and confused over if I should buy new headlight housings as well since mine are cloudy and newer ones (projector maybe? I dunnO) would look better longer than if I tried to polish the current ones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've maintained a consistent level of very broke and convinced myself not to buy them after all lmao....sorry >.< I had completely forgotten about this thread and there has since been a newer version of the super novas. IF I do buy them, then I'll hopefully remember this thread and report back but looks at the date phew...that's been 1.5 years about now haha. Anyway, a thousand apologies for letting everyone down! :\

OH yeah, I also was frustrated and confused over if I should buy new headlight housings as well since mine are cloudy and newer ones (projector maybe? I dunnO) would look better longer than if I tried to polish the current ones.
I feel the lack of money lol personally I'm having the same problem with my headlights. I restored them and now I just keep buffing them but I'd recommend just buying new housings. The process just gets annoying lol plus they will never look as nice as a new set

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Been Around for a while
1,022 Posts
what was the end result..anyone? From my research there are only high beam LED's. I need low beam Xenon HID @ 6500K. Any recommendations ?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
what was the end result..anyone? From my research there are only high beam LED's. I need low beam Xenon HID @ 6500K. Any recommendations ?
Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 come in H1’s. Supposedly, they provide a proper beam pattern similar to halogens. They come with an adapter harness as well, for $120 on theretrofitsource.com.

Personally, I’d say just get HID’s and aim them correctly. Cant recommend a kit as the company I went through seems to no longer be in business. I see lots of good reviews for Morimoto conversion kits and plan on getting one when my current hardware takes a shit.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 come in H1’s. Supposedly, they provide a proper beam pattern similar to halogens. They come with an adapter harness as well, for $120 on theretrofitsource.com.

Personally, I’d say just get HID’s and aim them correctly. Cant recommend a kit as the company I went through seems to no longer be in business. I see lots of good reviews for Morimoto conversion kits and plan on getting one when my current hardware takes a shit.
I got some OSRAM H1 night breaker halogen 55watt They rock. Besides it would seem to me as though most people who butcher there wiring to install HID's end up like Dukakis17. They just live with it until they can't stand it anymore? :giggle:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I got some OSRAM H1 night breaker halogen 55watt They rock. Besides it would seem to me as though most people who butcher there wiring to install HID's end up like Dukakis17. They just live with it until they can't stand it anymore? :giggle:
People like me have enough common sense to know that HID’s don’t require hacking up a harness.

·
Registered
375 Posts
People like me have enough common sense to know that HID’s don’t require hacking up a harness.
You and me both? It just seems like a common problem with the help section on headlights:cool:. So what do you think about the democratic primary's?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You and me both? It just seems like a common problem with the help section on headlights:cool:. So what do you think about the democratic primary's?
Not watching, or discussing politics on a car forum. All I'm going to say is I'm a red dot in a blue state.

·
Been Around for a while
1,022 Posts
Who in the world is hacking up their harness to retrofit? It's really not that hard. My existing HID bulbs and ballasts are bad and now I need to re-do. I am not interested in Halogens

·
Been Around for a while
1,022 Posts
I might try the Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 come in H1’s but dunno. I believe is a reason why other companies are not selling /designing LED Low beam kits for RSX. Only a small number of reviews also which is not too convincing. Maybe I will have to go with the cheaper halogen's until I get this figured out

·
Registered
375 Posts
I might try the Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 come in H1’s but dunno. I believe is a reason why other companies are not selling /designing LED Low beam kits for RSX. Only a small number of reviews also which is not too convincing. Maybe I will have to go with the cheaper halogen's until I get this figured out
I should state that I replaced my lenses' 03 rubbing them out became a chore. Got them off e-bay. 110$ Silicone all around the seam in back re-used the factory parts from the old ones. Bulb seal and bulb plug, (better quality) put in the OSRAM H1's - if you search on here they are highly recommended. They work great and for 35$ I've had NO problems. All I know.....

·
WILDCARD!
1,190 Posts
What do you mean exactly when you say "designing kits for?" I mean, are LED H1 bulbs hard to find? I've purchased them from superbrightleds before. Or are you talking about a kit specifically designed for the RSX?

·
Been Around for a while
1,022 Posts
specific to RSX. I am going to bake my lights and retrofit a projector. First I will try the LED's I purchased in the stock housings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't Buy Auxbeam silver series H1 bulbs. They last avg 4-6 months, and really cant handle winters or rain in general at all. Looking for other options now...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts