Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty sure I wont get much answers for this topic but has anyone re upolster (spell check?) the leather on their steering wheel. My steering wheel leather is starting to crack and "tear off" due to wear and tear and me not taking care of it . Most of the 11 to 2 O clock sections of the wheel has either "cunks" missing or has deteriorated. Those areas are not shiney anymore. And parts of the wheel have nicks from my watch.

Im either deciding to get someone to re upolster it with a stronger type of leather, get those areas in carbon fiber ( saw a m5 steering wheel with that), get a steering wheel wrap so i can preserve the rest of the leather and cover up the cunks and bad sections of the wheels ( probably a very thin one not the thick ones that buldge out), or get a aftermarket steering wheel but lose airbag :(, or either get another oem stock acura steering wheel or a type r steering wheel but will take care of the new one more

Heres are a few pics of the m5 carbon fiber steering wheel because C-RSX loves pics

·
DC5 Krew
2,827 Posts
looks pretty sick gow did u do that

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I'm not sure you'll get too many replies on this either but I'll sure chime in!

I've never done it but I'm sure it can be done. As for what direction to go in, I'd just have some estimates done and go from there. That's really up to you. I personally would either have the current wheel re-wrapped (with red stitching!) or get a new OEM wheel to retain the airbag.... That's just me tho.

Im sure you can find some upholstry shops around you that will do an estimate for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yah... ive been searching for a while as i noticed the leather on the wheel started to deteriorate last year...been searching or more like waiting on this forum to see if anyone has posted something even close to what i was talking about with the carbon fiber... but still no luck...

im sure its possible to do but prob cost some money to have the whole wheel to be carbon fiber...not really sure if i want to rewrap it with the same substance as it will be wear and tear again but will prob last a little longer if i keep it conditioned....i think i will go the cheap way and get a nice steering wheel wrap instead...although after looking at that steering wheel photo thread its tempting to just get a mugen or personal steering wheel

·
Racing Super Extreme
298 Posts
most of the steering wheel covers.. ya know that ones they sell at PepBoys, Autozone, Advance Auto etc.... are all too big. The cover slips on, but they slip a good bit. I think the RSX steering wheel is alot smaller. The Wheelskins covers are 14.25X 3.75 Most of the covers start at 14.5 and go to 15.5

·
Registered
773 Posts
There is a solution - Robsons Design. They can reshape, upholster, restitch and even Carbon Fibre the steering wheel.

Check out their site:
http://www.robson-design.com/

They did my CF interior (check my showoff thread in my sig).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts