Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The RSX is my daily ride, and I just needed to know if any of you have experienced any problems w/turbo during rain or snow conditions, apart from getting no traction?

·
[email protected] stock tires I/E
1,091 Posts
good point cause I live in Jersey where the difference in weather from the different seasons would make me think if that will cause and problems from 95-100 degrees in the summer to the 20's and less in the winter.

·
You really paid for that?
2,045 Posts
South Florida, I drive in the rain all the time... I dont really have any Problems. It is just now starting to get cold, not that it gets anywhere near as clod here as it does in other parts of the US, but still, I have not seen any problems yet. This would be my first "winter" (if you can even call it that) with the turbo. But for everyone else, when it gets cold, just make sure you pay attention to what is going on with your car.

·
BOOST
1,606 Posts
when it gets cold enough to matter, would you need to change your a/f because the colder air would make you run lean (not sure which is which, lean or rich)... for colder air would be more compressed air therefore having more air than fuel... correct?????

god i hope i am both making sense and at least somewhat on the right track =P

·
[email protected] stock tires I/E
1,091 Posts
What if my car is tuned for say 75 or 80 degree weather cause I got it installed in the summer time, when it gets cold to like the 20's in winter how will that affect my tuning, will I have to change like the fuel curves or something like that? I don't know how to tune so I'm not sure exactly what can be changed on a turbo set-up.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I should be more specific. As you all know the engine bay is quite open from the front fender wells. I'm thinking that snow and rain could easily get through those openings. So what do u ppl think?

·
BOOST
1,606 Posts
unless this turbo is extremely different from factory turbos i dont think there should be a problem. Lots of companies have factory turbos and sell their cars in all weather conditions... shouldnt be any different for us....... i think.

·
Registered
419 Posts
haha yeah you wont need any tuning..your car will be juuust fine from summer to winter changes..boost spiking will help your engine too..

·
Senior Member My Ass
1,650 Posts
are u being sarcastic? how does boost spike "help" the motor? please enlighten us.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Is boost spiking based on the wastegates ability to perform? I hear alot about boost going from the usual 9 psi all the up to 14 or 15 because of "boost spike". Can anyone give a clear defintion to what this is and how to prevent it.

·
The Drone
1,398 Posts
well i can tell you from personal experience. rain is good. its like a free intercooler water sprayer... been driving my car during this past few weeks and its been running good. a/f is always the way they were before.
hope this helps..
dave

·
The 1st-11 sec Rsx
319 Posts
When it is cold outside you will need more fuel. When it is hot you will need less fuel. This has alot to do with air density. This is also why cold air intakes make horsepower. Rain will not effect turbo operation.

Tim

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
With the E-manage you can't just add and subtract fuel without a Profec-e01. Does the E-manage automatically adjust that or is it programmed for cold weather so it always runs rich?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I've seen turbo's get red hot and glowing before. Seems like snow or lots of water would cause damage as thermal limitations of the metal would be tested. I thought the CN turbo was mounted pretty low in the engine bay. Couldn't see it from the top, but easily from the wheel well. GReddy/revhard turbo's are mounted higher from the pics I've seen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts