Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
..Crawling..
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a bunch of pm's asking me about headers so I thought I might as well post something up.

The first pic shows my stock header. The top part is the header (with the 4 pipes) and the bottom part is the cat, then after that is the exhaust, which isnt shown but hopefully u know what that is. Now in the second picture, this is the top of the header where u attach it to your motor. THIS IS THE SAME FOR BOTH THE TYPE-S AND THE BASE. However, the cat is where the difference between the S and the base comes in. The S cat and the base cat are completely different. In the 3rd pic, it shows the end of the cat where u attach your catback exhaust. The bolts are at a different angle on the type S and thats y u cannot put a type s exhaust on a base header and the other way around.

A base owner has a couple of options when it comes to purchasing a header. First they have to decide if they want a shorty (replaces the top of the header but not the cat) or a race header (which replaces the whole header and cat). You will get the most gains from a race header because it has large piping all the way from the motor. With a shorty, the air is still restricted from the cat so u wont get as much of a gain. However, in most states it is illegal to take out the cat. When purchasing a shorty, u must select the base one so it lines up with the base cat. If u buy the Type S shorty, u need a type s cat and therefor a type s exhaust to go with it. The second option is buying a race header. The race header replaces the whole thing as shown in pic 1. With the race header you also have 2 options. You have to decide what exhaust you would like to have: a base or type s catback exhaust. If u would like to use a base exhaust (which most base owners use) the only option is the comptech race header with the base adapter. The adapter makes it so the header lines up with the bolts to the base exhaust. Now on the other hand, if you would like to use a type s catback u can get a comptech race header with a type s adapter or u can buy any of the other race headers that are only made for the Type S(Jackson racing, etc.).

Hope this answers everyones questions. Feel free to send me a pm if needed.

Attachments

·
Relish then catch up
1,884 Posts
Damn good write up.
Also, good to mention that you could go with a Jackson Race header->high flow cat->type S exhaust.

9,696 Posts
I just bought the TypeS catback exhaust from someone on here. Can't a little weld job work too?

175 Posts
nice explanation...sticky?

KingKhai said:
can you use a race header(ex:dcrh) with a hks hi-power exhaust on a base?
Like the explanation said, for the k20a3, if you get a header made for an a2 (type-s), then you have to get an exhaust made to fit an a2 in order for it to line up, even when installing on a base. But you can't mix and match an a3 header and an a2 exhaust, or vice versa. At least without modification work.

·
shiny
1,200 Posts
the simple thing to do is get the type s stuff and rid of your base stuff..

for some reason i thought the header connects differently or is of different size than the base model.. thanks for clearing that up..

·
Registered
80 Posts
So if I wanted to switch to the type S exhaust, I would just need to get everything from the cat to the muffler? The type S cat would be a straight swap with the base cat right?

·
shiny
1,200 Posts
no because notice he said the way it connects are different.. you would need an adapter of some sort..

just get the whole exhaust system (header to muffler)

·
French Canadian buffoon
198 Posts
Really good write up. I had to search a lot to make sure I was going the right way with the whole Type-S setup on my base.

·
shiny
1,200 Posts
i dont see why you wouldnt pass smog test

·
R.I.P Turbo'ed base auto
9,377 Posts
gohanix said:
the simple thing to do is get the type s stuff and rid of your base stuff..

for some reason i thought the header connects differently or is of different size than the base model.. thanks for clearing that up..

The only problem with this you'll experience is that the 02 sensors aren't long enough to reach, so they have to be extended or something. I did this a while back and stretched the pos out and ended up messing up the wiring and causing a lot of problems with my car

·
shiny
1,200 Posts
not long enough?? i thought the cat was closer than the base rsx..?

you can always get the type s sensor

·
Registered
618 Posts
Still have one question. I have a base dc shorty header. I was planning on the just doing the header and then a type s catback. From what im reading it turns out i cant do that because the type s catback wont bolt up to my cat, correct?

So in order to have a type s catback is my only option to also get the type s header and cat?

·
R.I.P Turbo'ed base auto
9,377 Posts
whiteDCfiver said:
Still have one question. I have a base dc shorty header. I was planning on the just doing the header and then a type s catback. From what im reading it turns out i cant do that because the type s catback wont bolt up to my cat, correct?

So in order to have a type s catback is my only option to also get the type s header and cat?
correct......

·
shiny
1,200 Posts
you could get an adapter made.. just go to any muffler shop..

abstraction did that.. costed him 50$ cdn i think

·
Registered
618 Posts
OK, but then is it still worth it considering i'll have the base cat bottlenecking the system. Or should having the exhaust on both ends of the cat opened up still be worth while. If i do this its 05 type s only. I figured it could just be welded on by a shop. Sorry if i sound like a noob. I kinda am with exhausts.

·
shiny
1,200 Posts
in all honesty... i hear the rsx cat arent really that restrictive

1 - 20 of 26 Posts