Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
..::Untouchables::..
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some header wrap today.(2"-15' roll) Im planning on wrapping my JR race header when it gets here because I have a SRI and need to keep the temp under the hood as low as I can. A few questions though....

1.I know i need high heat coating after there wrapped.... where can i get that? Can I get it at a autoparts store??

2.I have heard about people using hose clamps to keep it wrapped, but i have never seen it in pictures. Is their a good way to keep it from coming apart without hose clamps or does the coating keep it together??

3. Im not planning on wrapping the testpipe, so do you think 15' will wrap the whole thing??

I think thats all i had. Also let me know anything you think I should know about it.:thumpsup:

·
Registered
407 Posts
UntouchableRSX-S said:
I bought some header wrap today.(2"-15' roll) Im planning on wrapping my JR race header when it gets here because I have a SRI and need to keep the temp under the hood as low as I can. A few questions though....

1.I know i need high heat coating after there wrapped.... where can i get that? Can I get it at a autoparts store??

2.I have heard about people using hose clamps to keep it wrapped, but i have never seen it in pictures. Is their a good way to keep it from coming apart without hose clamps or does the coating keep it together??

3. Im not planning on wrapping the testpipe, so do you think 15' will wrap the whole thing??

I think thats all i had. Also let me know anything you think I should know about it.:thumpsup:
I've used this stuff. I wrapped a Yoshimura header on a Kawasaki ZX6-R and it took over 3,000 miles before it stopped stinking! I don't know if the high heat black spray coating caused the stench, but know this: it will stink.

Instead of hose clamps, I used stainless steel lock nut wire. You can find it at any industial supply store like McMaster-Carr, Graingers, or here in SoCal, McFadden-Dale. Think about how you should do the wrapping- what end to start with, and what order to do any overlapping to minimize any free ends. Use clamps or lock nut wire on all ends. If using wire, tuck the loose ends INTO the wrap so you or your mechanic don't get poked or cut. Lastly, wear vinyl gloves when you do the job! :thumbsup:

·
Power of Dreams
3,036 Posts
Not enough! When I wrapped my Toda manifold, I wrapped the 4 primary pipes and the (2) 2-1 pipes, and I used like 42'. I wrapped up till the flex pipe. That was with only 1/4" overlaps. I bought a 50' roll thinking I would have plenty, if you are doing just the 4 primary pipes, then I think you will need at least 30'.

Also mine didn't stink very long at all, even when I wrapped my Feel's header on my old EG9, it didn't stink very long at all. That one I didn't spray, the Toda one I did spray with the high heat coating. It smoked like crazy for about 90 minutes. Everytime I came to a stop smoke started to pour from under the hood, looked like my car was on fire. :D Eventually the smoke dissipated and the smell went away. Good luck on wrapping it.

·
IPS K2 Owner #38
2,379 Posts
Hey Bro, DON'T rap them. If you get ANY moistuer at all in the rapping, it will eventually cause a coat of water between the rap and the pipe. After awhile, the weldings will burst because the water obviously will get very hot...not good. Get them JET Coated, it puts a ceramic type coat on the inside and outside of the pipe, it doesn't smell, looks good and depending on how much rap you use, is cheaper. Also after a few months the raps will be messed up and you will have to redue them if you want it to work. JET Coating lasts forever. Good Luck

·
..::Untouchables::..
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shit, never knew about all that. I just read that same site from a link on itr-dc5.co.uk.
I dont think that im going to do it now. I dont want any problems and I would rather not try and find out. What is JET coat?? Can i buy it or is it something I have to have a shop do??

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
1,495 Posts
DON'T use header wrap. I've seen first hand what it does to a header left wrapped on a daily driver after just 2 weeks. Trashed. It's great for a race car thats going to be rebuilt or worked on all the time, but it is definately NOT a daily driver mod.

Added:
I don't see alot of ppl talking about header coatings. Is there a reason for this? As hot as our cars get, I'd think it would be worthwhile mod. Esp. for those with SRIs.

·
Power of Dreams
3,036 Posts
K20Dragger said:
Dont use header wraps! They will hurt your header more than anything else...

Read why... (Worth the read...)
It is funny, that is a site that is trying to make coatings out to be number 1 with the help from Jet-Hot. Also, they are speaking of wrapping mild-steel or possibly cast iron manifolds and not stainless steel. The other site from the UK ITR site mostly talks about wrapping cast iron manifolds. On my old EG9 Ferio, the Feel's header was wrapped and it still is, this header was previously on my old EK4 Civic, and it still performs as new.

In the end it is up to you what you want to do. Don't believe everything you read. If my Toda header fails because I wrapped it, then I will be the first to come here and say so. I have never had any bad experience with wrapping a true stainless manifold. Now if you get a cheaply made header, then maybe yes it will fail. Like DC sports manifolds, from what I have heard from people they crack on their own, so if you wrap that, yeah maybe it will kill itself from the heat. I am not saying it will, as I have never used their products and never will.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts