Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my passenger headlight went out last night. Earlier in the day my radio was turning off and on. I don’t know when it went out but pretty sure it was that day, my friend noticed it. I don’t have stock headlights. They are Depo headlights from EBay (don’t roast me). When I took everything apart at the bulb wasn’t burnt out. I put a new bulb in and it still didn’t come on. Once thing I is not the connecter from the harness that plugs into the headlight was a little burnt/black on the connecter. I have a picture showing it. Could it be that harness it messed up? Doesn’t make sense because the high beam and turning signal work on that side. Please help. I don’t want drop $150+ on a new headlight and it not work.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Don't doubt what you see. Something shorted there, and maybe took out the fuse. Look that over good to figure out. Nothing wrong with depo either, just make are that connection is better. When the part you suspect isobar isn't, its time to move past and look deeper.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does the high beam on the passenger side work if so, there is nothing wrong with the relay or fuse since the low and high beam are both fed from the same circuit?

If the highbeam does not work, check the following:

In the underhood fuse box

1) Fuse 17
2) Swap headlight relays 1 and 2 to see if the problem follows the relay.

If the highbeam does work, then use a voltmeter to see if you have 12 volts at the headlight connector. I have included the wire diagram to help you trace the wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the high beam on the passenger side work if so, there is nothing wrong with the relay or fuse since the low and high beam are both fed from the same circuit?

If the highbeam does not work, check the following:

In the underhood fuse box

1) Fuse 17
2) Swap headlight relays 1 and 2 to see if the problem follows the relay.

If the highbeam does work, then use a voltmeter to see if you have 12 volts at the headlight connector. I have included the wire diagram to help you trace the wires.

Everything works except the low beam

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
When I had this problem (headlight out, new bulbs doesn't fix) it was the headlight connection. Try moving the plug around while the headlights are turned on and see if they light up at certain angles. If that's the case, here is my thread on the parts and process for replacing the connector:

https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=1261497

·
Registered
997 Posts
Check for voltage at the connector with a multimeter. It should have ~12-14V. If there is no voltage, then start looking at fuses and relays. You should replace that connector now regardless as its burnt.

My guess is there was a bad connection from that burnt connector to the bulb. A bad connection increases the resistance of the connection which increases the heat. Could be due to corrosion or it could have just been that the connector wasn't on all the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts