Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, first - what I am talking about: If you turn off the car and remove the keys while your headlights are on there is a sound that goes off alerting you that you have left them on.

For some reason I no longer get this sound and was wondering if anyone could help me out with trouble-shooting. I looked in the service manual and there doesn't seem to be a fuse tied to it so I don't think it is a blown fuse, but I could be wrong.

Also, something else odd that's been happening, and I'm not sure if it is related, is the car auto locks and arms itself if the car hasn't been started within a minute or two after unlocking.

For example, the other day I unlocked and opened the door and then was talking to someone for a few minutes. During this time the car locked itself (with the doors open but no keys in the ignition) and armed the alarm. Just to test I tried unlocking the car manually using the switch on the door and the alarm went off.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to explain thoroughly and hopefully someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance!

·
sigh
12,700 Posts
Not sure about the beeping. Did you replace your radio or is your car a salvage?

Also, the car is designed to auto-lock itself if no "activity" has taken place after the unlock command. Sounds like you have a short somewhere if its not registering your door having been open.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies.

I bought the car new in 03 so no salvage and I put in an aftermarket radio back then. This problem did not start until the last couple weeks. I'll check the dome light, hope it's just the door switch.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
definately just check the door switch. The car should not lock itself if the door has been opened. I.e. hit unlock --> open door --> sit inside --> car locks and arms itself should not happen. It should stop with 'open door'. As ren said, I'd check the door switch. This would explain BOTH things your seeing. :thumbsup:

·
Hi there
696 Posts
Its your drivers door switch. replace it. The only reason you car knows when to beep is when you open the door. If it is never getting that signal then the beep will never sound.

Plus on our keyless entry if we hit unlock and dont open the door then they car will automatically lock itself after 30seconds. Now if you car never notices the door being opened then it will lock itself. I bet if you go outside and open your door your dome light will not come on.

The most common reason these door switches go back is because out seat belts dont like to retract most of the time and sometimes if you arent paying attn you can shut belt buckle on the door switch which damages it.

35400-S5A-013 SWITCH ASSY $4.20

Should cost you no more than 5$ and you can install it yourself all you need is a 1/4 ratchet with an 8mm socket and a small flathead screwdriver.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Its your drivers door switch. replace it. The only reason you car knows when to beep is when you open the door. If it is never getting that signal then the beep will never sound.

Plus on our keyless entry if we hit unlock and dont open the door then they car will automatically lock itself after 30seconds. Now if you car never notices the door being opened then it will lock itself. I bet if you go outside and open your door your dome light will not come on.

The most common reason these door switches go back is because out seat belts dont like to retract most of the time and sometimes if you arent paying attn you can shut belt buckle on the door switch which damages it.

35400-S5A-013 SWITCH ASSY $4.20

Should cost you no more than 5$ and you can install it yourself all you need is a 1/4 ratchet with an 8mm socket and a small flathead screwdriver.
This works! Although the part = $5, shipping = $11.95:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts