Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello CRSX,

I recently purchased a VIS Carbon Fiber hood and heard that the hood may fly up and break my windshield and maybe even cause an accident if I don't use hood pins.I rarely drive at ridiculous speeds. I have heard a couple different stories and wanted to just hear directly from you all. :confused:

Sorry if this conversation has been stated before but I'm new. Any suggestions will help and will most definitely get hood pins for proactive safety precautions if necessary.:vtec:

Thanks!!

·
13-0 Utes
9,687 Posts
if you can use the stock hood latch then youre fine.. otherwise use hood pins.. go with 4 hood pins and then you wont need to bother with anything else.. other than having 2 people take off a hood lol

·
[Insert Title]
2,870 Posts
i know people who drives 80+ without it and dont have any problem if the condition of your stock hood latch is is good shape then it should be fine

171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stock latch is holding the hood down currently and it is hard as hell to move up when locked down but the hood wont come up if I'm driving down the freeway for a long period of time?? I drive 50 miles a day on the freeway... Maybe 80 MPH...thanks for your reply

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The stock hood latch isn't the problem. Its the latch loop that is molded underneath the hood, its not welded/ molded to a metal surface like the stock hood. The metal latch loop is molded to fiberglass. So it begins to wear and tear and eventually break off from all of he heavy vibrations. I get mass vibrations with my innovative motor mounts. That's why it is not recommended to use the stock latch setup. Most people including me use some sort of hood pins. I have the aerocatch hood pins and i love them. Super sleek and clean looking

171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stock hood latch isn't the problem. Its the latch loop that is molded underneath the hood, its not welded/ molded to a metal surface like the stock hood. The metal latch loop is molded to fiberglass. So it begins to wear and tear and eventually break off from all of he heavy vibrations. I get mass vibrations with my innovative motor mounts. That's why it is not recommended to use the stock latch setup. Most people including me use some sort of hood pins. I have the aerocatch hood pins and i love them. Super sleek and clean looking
Oh I see... So the hood will break. I thought that might have been a problem when I was looking underneath the hood. Small cracks will begin to appear and I have seen that on a couple other hoods without pins as well.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Stock latch w/ Hood pins..
Better to be safe then sorry.

its the truth. i dont have pins in mine, yet its a shitty hood and will be getting a new one.

if the hood is brand new i would say you have quite a while before the latch is gonna bust. yet... who knows. pins are recommended for any CF hood.

·
Educated *******
13,423 Posts
I drive the hell out of my car with a VIS hood. Commonly to hit 130+ on the regular. Have full race mounts and like 400whp or so. Just look at the hood on the regular to see if the loop looks loose. You'll be fine.

·
1,884 Posts
Truth.. My buddy in his little swapped civic was doing about 90 on the freeway and had his VIS hood loop thing break off and the hood went up into his winshield breaking it and cracking the hood.

171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all your help everyone. Ima go to Vex today and purchase hood Pins. Better to be safe than sorry and dont really want to purchase a new winshield. I just got one less than two months ago! The hood, Im sure is fine for now but Im heading from SF to san jose on the constant so dont want any flaws on the freeway. Thanks for all your input!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had a OEM CF hood on my 2001 prelude. On the highway I could see the hood moving up and down and it used to scare the shit outta me. Unfortunately I totaled my prelude before the hood ever flew up on me. My advice get hood pins. Good luck.

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
Hello CRSX,

I recently purchased a VIS Carbon Fiber hood and heard that the hood may fly up and break my windshield and maybe even cause an accident if I don't use hood pins.I rarely drive at ridiculous speeds. I have heard a couple different stories and wanted to just hear directly from you all. :confused:

Sorry if this conversation has been stated before but I'm new. Any suggestions will help and will most definitely get hood pins for proactive safety precautions if necessary.:vtec:

Thanks!!
I've had my VIS hood without pins for 10 years. No problems..

171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've had my VIS hood without pins for 10 years. No problems..
hey whats up man.
How is this? When you pop the hood do you see signs of fatigue or cracking from the fiberglass?
Its all metal where the latch hooks to the hood so it looks strong to me but you never know since others have had their shit break on them. Do you drive on the freeway or pretty fast often?

·
Registered
718 Posts
hey whats up man.
How is this? When you pop the hood do you see signs of fatigue or cracking from the fiberglass?
Its all metal where the latch hooks to the hood so it looks strong to me but you never know since others have had their shit break on them. Do you drive on the freeway or pretty fast often?
My hood doesn't have metal? It's all molded in.... No cracks or anything. Just wear from latching/stricker contact.

I drove highway speed numerous times, 60-90mph and only had a little bit of flutter in the hood.

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
hey whats up man.
No visible signs.

Yes, 80% of my mileage is all freeway. I got the VIS hood when I only had a few thousand miles. I have 100,300 miles now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.