Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This question isn't for the RSX, but for an Acura ...so I thought it would fit :)

I got a short intake (like the injen one) in my Legend, I had the thing custom made and didn't bother with any sort of heat sheild...

Anyway, I have a lot of free time this sunday and figured I'll make one for myself...just go to Home Depot and buy the stuff...

But I was wondering what the best material and thickness i would need...I assume aluminum would be used, but I could be wrong...

Any info would help...thanks guys.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Don't use the aluminum flashing that they sell. If the home cheapot in your area carries some real aluminum plate, get that instead. That aluminum flashing stuff'll buzz like a hornet's nest under your hood.

Try to get at least 1/8" aluminum sheet (or even 1/4" if you don't mind working with something that thick, and you want it built like a tank). When your done making it, paint it with a heat resistant enamel (available at any AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as the heat resistant enamel goes, I assume I would need to paint both sides ...

But do i need to prep the Al before painting it?? Like maybe scuffing it up with some sandpaper to get the paint to stick better???

thanks again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If a big company like Injen cant make a decent heat shield from aluminum, don't bother. Instead Make it out of fiberglass like the ECIS intakes for BMW's check out their web page to see what I mean. Lighter, better thermal properties, and less prone to cracking.

·
Registered
723 Posts
You could make one purely out of aluminum like the one in my car. It is a Bronco so i dont know if that will help. But after summer Im getting an RSX-S Arctic Blue. And no help from pappy unless needed. Maybe for some insurance help but thats it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.