Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2002 Type-S. For the last 3 or 4 months I've had what I believe to be a piece of sheet metal rattling under the car between 3 and 3.5 rpm. That was annoying enough!

Now I've got another problem. I don't know if it's related. In first, second or third gear, I often hear a heavy rumble under the car for the first few seconds before... well, to be honest, I don't know even know why it stops. After I get it in gear I guess it just settles down. It's quite loud but it's more bass than treble, so when the radio's on I usually can't hear it very well. But I can always FEEL it. Feels like the whole car's vibrating for those few seconds. Almost like I'm driving a lawn mower!

Anyway, I'm not a mechanic but I was wondering if anyone might be able to speculate as to what I'm facing here. The car sounds normal most of the time, it's just this loud "bass" (as well as the abovementioned sheet metal problem) that's concerning me now. The "bass" problem feels so powerful that I'm getting worried- it might be a serious engine issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, bought it used two years ago. But never saw or heard this problem before.

By the way, the car still performs as well as ever. I haven't noticed any kind of drop-off. But that could be giving me a false sense of security; the rumble is so powerful, it could very well be something serious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more thing I thought I should say: it usually occurs when I'm accelerating a little harder than normal. If I'm ultra-conservative, I don't hear anything. But if I give the gas hard, it starts to shake before settling down again.

·
RSX-S Owner
697 Posts
Check your heatshields and motormounts. The heatshield is the likely cause of the rattle as for the bass not too sure what your describing but a bad mount can cause additional vibration and if you shift at low rpms then engine will be strained more so more vibration. Hope it helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Even in spite of my terrible description of the problem, you may be right about the motormount! That makes a lot of sense. I do notice it more post-shift on lower rpm's, so it very well could be. I'll have to check it out. Hopefully it doesn't get worse before I do?

As for the heat shield, unfortunately it's not. I had my heat shield removed several months back. Come to think of it, the rattle began soon thereafter! When it started, it was between 2.5 and 2.9 rpm's and now it's moved up to between 3.0 and 3.5 rpm's. Awfully strange. Piece of... something down there, just rattling around between those frequencies.

·
RSX-S Owner
697 Posts
Thanks. Even in spite of my terrible description of the problem, you may be right about the motormount! That makes a lot of sense. I do notice it more post-shift on lower rpm's, so it very well could be. I'll have to check it out. Hopefully it doesn't get worse before I do?

As for the heat shield, unfortunately it's not. I had my heat shield removed several months back. Come to think of it, the rattle began soon thereafter! When it started, it was between 2.5 and 2.9 rpm's and now it's moved up to between 3.0 and 3.5 rpm's. Awfully strange. Piece of... something down there, just rattling around between those frequencies.
Well there are two that I know of.....one over the header and one over your axle.....in my case it was the axle....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts