Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I don't know what happened but definitely need your help. I tried doing some search about overrevving, but seems like people just overreved by mishifting. So I don't know about this story. Me and my friend were on our way to get his car tuned, We were on the highway and he was speeding up. I was in 6th gear and decided to give more gas to catch up, we were just cruising no racing. Bam, I let go my gas pedal and the car just kept pulling. I'm like what's going on?!? It just hit 9-9.5rpm quickly and engine was overreving. Lucky I was on end lane to pull over rather than in middle of traffic, I immediately slammed on my brake and quickly turned off the ignition. Let it cool down, called my friend about the situtaion. I decided to started it up again and it started normal. I was scared as shit, cause I didn't want to happen again and start rearending someone. I drove slow, but I get weird feeling with the car. When I shift to high gears the car seems to go to higher rpm, thank god I was close to my house and here I am asking for your help of what happened. My friend told me that my clutch could have slipped, is that possible?

If that's the case with the clutch I'm going to include this. Every morning once I warmed up the car, and start driving I get this whining or low screeching sound when I feather the clutch to shift gears. But after like 5-10mins it goes away, maybe my tranny is not warming up right or it just normal?

Would appreciate for some answers asap.
Thanks.

·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you serious? This is brand new act 6puck/prolite flywheel. Not enough room on the highway for 170mph. ;) The car went to 9k, are you sure the clutch slipped? Could it be something else, maybe bad tranny fluid, sensor, etc?

How am I suppose to handle it now? Rather than feather it like a baby, dump it like mad jason?? :vtec:

Thanks for answering back asap.

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
Are you serious? This is brand new act 6puck/prolite flywheel. Not enough room on the highway for 170mph. ;) The car went to 9k, are you sure the clutch slipped? Could it be something else, maybe bad tranny fluid, sensor, etc?

How am I suppose to handle it now? Rather than feather it like a baby, dump it like mad jason?? :vtec:

Thanks for answering back asap.
maybe i misunderstood...

you heard a loud noise.....got off the throttle...and the RPM's rose while off throttle?

did the RPM's actually shoot up, or do the RPM gauge shoot up by the engine stay normal?

if u simply hit the gas in 6th gear, and the RPM's rose to 9k but the car didnt accelerate..then it sounds like a clutch issue

or it popped out of gear but looked like it was in 6th

·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was driving normal in 6th gear, I gave some gas to catch up. Then I let go the gas, rather than slowing down the car just pulled harder and accelerated and I put the gear in neutral and bam 9k(i think, forgive me this happened so suddenly). Just revving right there, thank god it didn't go any further. I would say I have about 2k miles on the clutch or so.

Btw, no noise..it was a smooth ride and engine got louder due to 9k.

I just did some search on clutch slipping, and I guess I'm having similar problems as them too. Guess gona stick with oem clutch, and my flywheel should be okay right?

If my clutch is slipping, why am I able to drive normal for now?

·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I forgot to mention that. :eek: Thanks.

Could it be possible I can change my disk rather than whole clutch? Or the whole clutch is screwed? Sorry guys, I'm no expert in clutches. I'm learning, that's what this site is for.

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
ok....i get it...

if u put the car in neutral and revved to 9 k...then the problem isnt the clutch..

i think your gas pedal got stuck to the flooor.....

it happens...RARELY...could be your floormate, or for watever reason it decided to stick to the floor (or maybe just the cables got stuck but the gas pedal didnt)

·
Master Member
5,078 Posts
judging from the last post you made... doesnt sound like clutch slipping. you said you took the car out of gear sooooo that should rule that out. if you were still in gear and the rpms rose quickly (more so then normally in gear) then its clutch slip. (also i will give you a heads up ACT isnt known for doing well in the rsx, a lot of people have them prematurely fail. just a fyi heads up)

it sounds like something to do with a throttle cable or something like that... like it got stuck or something.

·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like I said it happened so suddenly, the car was still pulling in 6th w/o foot on pedal. Then put in neutral, explains why the car went in 9k. I will give a check on my cables. I'm just hoping it won't do again, cause I don't want accidents, ya know. If it was clutch slipping, I'm gona check into replacing disks.

Thanks guys.

·
--------------------
28,783 Posts
ok....i get it...

if u put the car in neutral and revved to 9 k...then the problem isnt the clutch..

i think your gas pedal got stuck to the flooor.....

it happens...RARELY...could be your floormate, or for watever reason it decided to stick to the floor (or maybe just the cables got stuck but the gas pedal didnt)
That was my first thought when he said he was in neutral.

It happened to me before in my auto Civic, thank god I was on the highway. I let go of the gas and it stuck, scariest 5 seconds ever.

·
Big Pimpin
15,710 Posts
Check around the cables for the throttle body where they connect to the black thing that opens your butterfly, make sure nothing is in the way of that as well, like ground wires or anything like that. I've had my ground wires get stuck on my shifter linkage and I couldn't shift into like 4th or something for a second, scared the hell outta me. But I have also seen some cables get in the way of the butterfly opener as well. Just another thought.

·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree, it was the scariest moment. Like you have no control over anything. When I was on the side, i popped the hood to check the cable or sensors..everything was fine and in place.

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
just because the rpm rose to 9 k on the tach doesnt mean it went to 9k in reality

the stock tach is off by a good margin

u prob hit the rev limiter at 8600-8800

the car should be fine...especiallly since their was no load on the engine

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I've had friends who had the same issue. Seems that their gas pedal got stuck some how. One guys floor mat went over it and the other guy had some other issue with it. Id start by checking with the pedal, and rule out the clutch all together.

·
SC Crew #20
1,675 Posts
when my car is cold and such my car sometimes likes to rev up to 3k ish while i am stopping. Like they said I think it is the butterfly sticking open or whatever. just hit the throttle and you should be ok.

·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
when my car is cold and such my car sometimes likes to rev up to 3k ish while i am stopping. Like they said I think it is the butterfly sticking open or whatever. just hit the throttle and you should be ok.
I have this issue too. They said you need to clean out your iacv and it will be normal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.