Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
BUY MY CAR!!!
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be staring the install of my fuel system this weekend MINUS my 1000cc injectors and resistor box which I will do once my kit arrives. I have the Fast-Turbo setup basically with the Bosch 044 fuel pump, the relay (which fast turbo provided), -8an feed, -6an return, Aeromotive "red and silver" FPR, Aermotive inline filter, GE fuel rail, fast-turbo pick-up with fuel sock.

I understand everything on how to install this setup minus the wiring part for the Bosch pump and relay. I have somewhat of an idea as I found this after searching....

To wire the pump you will want to run a relay, You will want to use at least 10gauge wire from the battery to the relay.
there will be four pins on the relay 87,86,85,30
#87 will go to the battery
#86 will go to the fuel pump signal wire
#85 will be the ground wire
#30 will be power to the pump

The thing is that my relay fast-turbo provided has 5-pins, the other pin that is not listed above is 87a.

What should I do with that pin not use it?

Also what 2 wires connect to the red and blue part of the bosch?

Thanks for the help guys..

·
700+ HP Club!!!
1,942 Posts
Best bet is to contact stan on the wiring diagram for your fuel pump relay. Should be on the back of the box, or with the packaging. Or hopefully somebody else has experience w/ that particular relay.

I can tell you that the red is the positive and blue negative on the pump. Use locktite so the nuts on the pump don't back out.

Also, use minimum 10 guage wiring and for the power to the pump don't use the fuel pump signal wire. It loses voltage as the car cranks making starts difficult. This is because the Bosch 044 does not have a check valve and without constant voltage the fuel pressure drops.

I'm switching my wiring to the positive on the alternator for maximum constant voltage.

·
BUY MY CAR!!!
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best bet is to contact stan on the wiring diagram for your fuel pump relay. Should be on the back of the box, or with the packaging. Or hopefully somebody else has experience w/ that particular relay.

I can tell you that the red is the positive and blue negative on the pump. Use locktite so the nuts on the pump don't back out.

Also, use minimum 10 guage wiring and for the power to the pump don't use the fuel pump signal wire. It loses voltage as the car cranks making starts difficult. This is because the Bosch 044 does not have a check valve and without constant voltage the fuel pressure drops.

I'm switching my wiring to the positive on the alternator for maximum constant voltage.
Okay I will contact Stan on monday but as for the blue and red on the pump, where do these go to? the battery?

If I dont use the fuel pump signal wire and use the positive on the alternater does that mean when I turn my key to II I wont here the pump power up any more because it will always be powered?

Thanks.

·
700+ HP Club!!!
1,942 Posts
Okay I will contact Stan on monday but as for the blue and red on the pump, where do these go to? the battery?

If I dont use the fuel pump signal wire and use the positive on the alternater does that mean when I turn my key to II I wont here the pump power up any more because it will always be powered?

Thanks.
also what would my ideal fuel pressure be for both idle and full throttle?
The blue/red go to the relay, ie power/ground on the relay itself.

Yes, the pump will always be powered up with it wired this way. Kind of annoying but without a check valve I found it to be exremely hard starting w/ it wired to the fuel pump signal wire. Also, the voltage off the alternator is going to be higher and up the power of your pump, Evans actually recommended I wire mine this way.

50-55 PSI base fuel pressure is where we started tuning, if you have a Aeromotive A100 it should rise on a 1:1 ratio

Reactions: nsted3

·
BUY MY CAR!!!
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok well after thinking this through I think I have it figured out, and k20turbo has the same pump but a 4-wire relay and mine has 5 wires but the 5th is just another 87 so I am assuming I just wont use that one. Ill check on monday though with stan from fast-turbo to be sure. Now for the ground on the relay....should I run a wire from the (-) on the pump and splice it into the ground on the relay and then take the ground wire on the relay and ground it to the chasis?

Then I assume the (+) on the pump I run into the (+) on the relay and then run that to the (+) on the battery correct?

·
BUY MY CAR!!!
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I figured out the entire wiring situation after a little research on relays. Just in case anyone else runs into this problem in the future and would like some wiring info click the link below, it helped answer most of my questions.

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/relay_basics.htm

·
Triple Fucking OG
1,422 Posts
I am going to be staring the install of my fuel system this weekend MINUS my 1000cc injectors and resistor box which I will do once my kit arrives. I have the Fast-Turbo setup basically with the Bosch 044 fuel pump, the relay (which fast turbo provided), -8an feed, -6an return, Aeromotive "red and silver" FPR, Aermotive inline filter, GE fuel rail, fast-turbo pick-up with fuel sock.

I understand everything on how to install this setup minus the wiring part for the Bosch pump and relay. I have somewhat of an idea as I found this after searching....

To wire the pump you will want to run a relay, You will want to use at least 10gauge wire from the battery to the relay.
there will be four pins on the relay 87,86,85,30
#87 will go to the battery

The thing is that my relay fast-turbo provided has 5-pins, the other pin that is not listed above is 87a.

What should I do with that pin not use it?

Also what 2 wires connect to the red and blue part of the bosch?

Thanks for the help guys..
you basically have it right, but
#87 will go to the red on fuel pump

As was said blue on fuel pump goes grounded to the body of the car & pin #87a is an auxilary pin for powering more than one unit (dual fuel pumps, more than 1 light if used for lighting, ect.) Also make sure you use a 20a in line fuse or circut breaker between your power source and the relay.

·
BUY MY CAR!!!
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On your relay you said #87 will go to the battery.....I assume the (+) side of the battery correct?

#30 you said is power to the pump, meaning the (+) side of the bosch pump?

Just let me know if I got this right, thanks.

yeah thats right, and you ground the pump under the car
Todd
This is what I was told to do....

·
Registered
14 Posts
you basically have it right, but
#87 will go to the red on fuel pump

As was said blue on fuel pump goes grounded to the body of the car & pin #87a is an auxilary pin for powering more than one unit (dual fuel pumps, more than 1 light if used for lighting, ect.) Also make sure you use a 20a in line fuse or circut breaker between your power source and the relay.

Wrong 87A is connected to 30 when the relay is not activated when activated it switches to 87 connected to 30

On your relay you said #87 will go to the battery.....I assume the (+) side of the battery correct?

#30 you said is power to the pump, meaning the (+) side of the bosch pump?

Just let me know if I got this right, thanks.

yeah thats right, and you ground the pump under the car
Todd
Yes that is correct if you invert them the 87A would be powerd when the car/pump relay is not treiggered, that can be a bit dangerous.

·
RIP 2/4/2009
3,532 Posts

·
RIP 2/4/2009
3,532 Posts
thanks guys Im all set for next weekend!

Its okay though with the pump and relay under the car for the terminals and wire ends to get exposed to water? I was almost thinking of making a cover for the pump and relay area so they are safe from the elements they would incure.
I mounted the relay inside the car, they are generally not weatherproof.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.