Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The check engine light (emissions light) came on this morning when I was on my way home from the store. I haven't done anything to my car (haven't worked on it or changed anything). I did race someone on the way home yesterday, but the light didn't come on until this morning.

Anyway, I won't be able to get the car to the dealer until later in the week. Will this damage my car in any way?

Also, the car is an '04 Type S with 23,500 miles, so my warranty is still good, right? Does warranty cover o2 sensors?
Does TLC provide you with a loaner car?

·
Retired OG
147,491,194 Posts
to answer your questions in order....

no, yes, yes, yes

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
autozone...

·
made of particles
11,438 Posts
autozone. i was coming back from a roadtrip, 900 miles to go and mine randomly came on. after some panicking, i tightened my gas cap and reset the computer and it went off and hasnt been back...
so...maybe try that? idk.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot about tightening my gas cap. I'll give that a try. I think the manual said it may take a couple days to go out if it was the cap.

Either way, since it's still under warranty I'll just make an appointment with the Acura dealer. Besides, maybe I'll get a cool loaner car.

·
made of particles
11,438 Posts
if you pull the fuse for the computer for a few seconds (forget how many, i did mine for 30) you wont have to wait a few days to see, or reprogram the radio....
(check manual for fuse location. it's in the box under the hood, but idk which exact one it is...)
good luck.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The BOSE system has a 6 digit security code that will be required prior to using the stereo again....
You should have received a card stating the security code that came with the owners manual.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should have just gone to Autozone!

Here's the quick version of a longs story:
I decided to take it to the dealer (I was worried something was wrong with the engine), and it's still under warranty, so what the hell. Had the appointment this morning at the dealer and they pretty much opened the hood, saw the intake (AEM V2), and said they couldn't fix it because of the intake. I doubt that they even hooked up the computer, but the tech said it was my intake. They wouldn't troubleshoot because it wasn't their shit and the warranty wouldn't pay for it. I guess I could have had them "fix" it, but they would have billed me.

Anyway, I drove the 45 minutes home really pissed as I glared at the CEL light still on on my dash reminding me of my wasted time-- still not knowing what was wrong with my car.
I got home and popped the hood to give the intake the once over- I was ready to put the stock shit back on so the dealer would check it. As I looked, I noticed that the sensor (don't know the name) that goes in the side of the intake had a broken wire going into the plug. I disconnected the battery, spliced the wire together, and the light has remained off. Kudos for me!

Moral of the story- I could have saved myself all that time by listening to all of you and going to Autozone. That would have told me (I think) that the wire was off or the sensor thing was mulfunctioning.
I understand the dealer's position, but I'd think with such a huge aftermarket parts market that the dealer techs would be able to deal with it, but it's not their stuff, so... I had a Jetta a few years ago that the dealer couldn't/wouldn't hook up the computer to because I had an aftermarket stereo in it and it wouldn't read right. It's like the auto companies don't want us to mess with our cars, so they make shit like that happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.