Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

HELP!: CTR JDM HID Headlights

12K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  jonathanphan 
#1 ·
okay guys ive searched and searched but i cant seem to find anything, anyone else every try to put the JDM CTR HID Headlights on a USDM 02-03 EP3? If you have please post what all you did because i couldnt figure it out!

#3 · (Edited)
After a lot of digging I've figured out how to wire the JDM 02-03 CTR HID headlights. USDM 02-03 EP3 headlights have a single power source wire and two grounds (HI and LOW). What you do is:

1 - Add a second source wire by splicing into the original source wire (L headlight - red/yel wire, R headlight - red wire).
2- One source wire goes to the igniter (low beam)
3- Other source wire goes to the HI beam solenoid.
4- The igniters get grounded on the front bumper beam (G201 AND G301)
5- HI beam solenoids ground through the L headlight connector red/blue wire, and R headlight connector red/blue wire.

Voila!
Tested and true

#5 · (Edited)
With all due respect, I would like you to explain in detail how you came up with that comment. Or are you simply going by what others are telling you? The "ballast", aka igniter for the Honda people, requires a 12V source. Which we have. The igniter's job is to turn this 12V into 12'000 or more volts in order to initially create the "arc" in the bulb. Once the arc is acheived the igniter provides the constant power needed to keep the arc.

After reviewing a large amount of photos from Japanese and British counterparts, I've confirmed that the wires leading into the JDM igniters (aka ballasts) are all 16 gauge copper wires. Identical in size as those found with the sidemarker wires etc. Also, after extensive calculations of current capabilities, the OEM wire harness' can handle the HID's well.

To further prove this I also mocked up the wiring on a bench and physically tested the circuits for current draws. The systems uses a little less than 9 amps with both headlights on and using a couple of inches of 16 gauge copper wire. 16 gauge copper wire is spec'd to be able to handle 20A or less of current. So we're good.

Therefore, I don't understand what everybody is worried about. Am I missing something?

#6 ·
After spending $225 on new headlights and close to $500 on an all OEM HID setup for my car, what's another $20 bucks for a new subharness with easy to replace fuses that I know won't have any problems.

Also, If you're installing '04-'05 headlights which have two separate bults for high and low beam, how do you intend to make that work with your '02-'03 EP3 that uses a single bulb? The easiest method is to use a subharness.

#11 · (Edited)
04-05 EP3 headlight wiring diagrams are almost similar to the JDM EP3-R HID's. Both use four wires. Two to power the low beam (aka igniter). And the other two to power the hi/lo solenoid (02-03 EP3-R's) or high beams (04-05 EP3's).

There's a little more work required for the 02-03 EP3's, but not a big deal.

Here's a wiring schematic that I've come up with

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.