Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a rsx type s with a couple mods (Intake, K Tuned 3 Inch Catback Exhaust, Stage 1 Clutch, K Tuned CMC, K Tuned Coilovers). I have been getting about 300 kms (about 186 miles) off each tank. There is something wrong but I can't seem to find out what it is. I just changed my secondary O2 and I put injector cleaner however i still think thats not really going to make a difference. Im from Ontario and there is a lot of snow but the mileage was the same during summer too. Before anybody says learn how to drive I shift at 2500 rpm and I still get 300 kms. My alignment is a little off (did not get time to get is fixed) however I doubt it would make me my mileage that trash. Anybody have any suggestions ill really appreciate it! Thanks!

·
I like Golf
3,628 Posts
Oh and I always put shell 91 octane gas
I really depends what type of driving you do
back when i live in Vancouver and did all city stop and go traffic; i got like 350km to a tank

but when i moved to Calgary and drove on the highway to get to work every day. i got 550km a tank

also, its not about how early you shift, its about how hard and quickly you press on the accelerator.

if your ECU is stock, the check engine light would come on if you had any emissions problems that would trigger mileage

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really depends what type of driving you do
back when i live in Vancouver and did all city stop and go traffic; i got like 350km to a tank

but when i moved to Calgary and drove on the highway to get to work every day. i got 550km a tank

also, its not about how early you shift, its about how hard and quickly you press on the accelerator.

if your ECU is stock, the check engine light would come on if you had any emissions problems that would trigger mileage
Yeah my ECU is stock, but that makes sense, I do have a heavy foot. Another question, do you notice the fuel gauge needle go down after a pull and then go back up after a while. Not that down but like just a lil bit. Thanks!

·
I like Golf
3,628 Posts
Yeah my ECU is stock, but that makes sense, I do have a heavy foot. Another question, do you notice the fuel gauge needle go down after a pull and then go back up after a while. Not that down but like just a lil bit. Thanks!
That would happen all the time, there is a delay in the fuel level sensor, and when you do a pull and you're at less than a half a tank, all the fuel moves to the back of the tank and makes the sensor thinks you're low on gas.
would be the same if you parked on a steep hill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would happen all the time, there is a delay in the fuel level sensor, and when you do a pull and you're at less than a half a tank, all the fuel moves to the back of the tank and makes the sensor thinks you're low on gas.
would be the same if you parked on a steep hill
perfect, thank you for your input. I'll try and be lighter on the accelerator and see what happens. I do mostly city driving so I guess I shouldnt expect 400+ kms.

·
Bighavic
38 Posts
What’s the mileage? Has the spark plugs been replaced.(105k miles) Was the valve adjustment/lash checked or done?(110-150k miles) Did you try performing a intake carbon cleaning. (YouTube Seafoam treatment). This will help along how you drive but I have a 2005 type s and in winter I get 200 miles at the min.(with snow tires)

·
Registered
12 Posts
What's your mpg?
If doesn't effin matter how many miles you get on a tank. What matters is how many miles you get per gallon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What’s the mileage? Has the spark plugs been replaced.(105k miles) Was the valve adjustment/lash checked or done?(110-150k miles) Did you try performing a intake carbon cleaning. (YouTube Seafoam treatment). This will help along how you drive but I have a 2005 type s and in winter I get 200 miles at the min.(with snow tires)
My cars at 234k kms. The spark plugs were changed by the previous owner but I'll still take a look and see if they're worn out. I'm not sure about the valve adjustment but I am going to do sea foam treatment soon. Currently I got 234kms driven (145 miles) and a quarter tank of gas left.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Currently my mpg is 19.28. Which is kinda trash lool. Any suggestions?
I just bought a '02 RSX Type S (with no mods) to commute to work. I've driven just over 2,000 miles and I'm getting 31 to 35 mpg (with a bad O2 sensor), 60/40 hwy/city driving. What works for me is not downshifting to slow the car down, but rather just applying the brakes with the clutch engaged.
Also, I typically upshift gears at about 2000 rpms and use cruise control whenever possible. Other than driving style, I'd check the air filter and tire pressures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts