Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I had my hood fly open on the freeway and shattered my windshield. I have a fat dent on my roof. I’m hoping I can keep my baby): I’ve never seen anyone sell a roof before. Was wondering if it’s better to get it fixed or if I even have to in order to get my windshield replaced?? Or if anyone knows someone dope who can fix it up for me. In Tacoma, WA, thanks! (Here’s a pic for those that are curious lol)

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
rsx hood latches are always flimsy.....very bad design!
But same thing happend to me in my dc5 I ended up donating since it was too much to fix and bought another dc5 ha!.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rsx hood latches are always flimsy.....very bad design!
But same thing happend to me in my dc5 I ended up donating since it was too much to fix and bought another dc5 ha!.....
Kind of comforting to know it didn’t just happen to me! It was like a freak accident. I’m so attached to mine I don’t wanna get another one lol. Was hoping it would be easier to fix mine??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man that is crazy and had to be scary!! I assume a good body shop could fix that.
Shit was scary!! I was all the way in the left lane and had no choice but to pull into the tiny left shoulder.
Im having problems with the body shop b/c when I ask if they can fix it, they say “don’t know till we see it.” And to get them to see it, I’d possibly waste money towing it to their shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kind of comforting to know it didn’t just happen to me! It was like a freak accident. I’m so attached to mine I don’t wanna get another one lol. Was hoping it would be easier to fix mine??
I bought my car like this and the hood flew open on the previous owner bro. I got it fixed for 650. Bro to fix it right the Windshield has to be removed first. So it was 500 for the labor and the windshield 200ish

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my car like this and the hood flew open on the previous owner bro. I got it fixed for 650. Bro to fix it right the Windshield has to be removed first. So it was 500 for the labor and the windshield 200ish
Youll need a hood tho too if you want just look on fb market place you can find a steal

·
Registered
44 Posts
Honda motors online sells a type r roof obviously without the moonroof part since they didn’t come with one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M
My damage was estimated around 1k, and I still planned on an engine swap bc I’ve had a rod knock for a while. So I just got a new cutie today lol! All stock, one owner. Such a good deal. And brand new hood latch lol. Thanks for sharing

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Man I know of at least three other people that have had their hood fly up and smash their roof/window too, all in the Seattle area too. The DC5 hood latch/bulkhead has been known to be a thin weak piece of aluminum, same with the older Civics. A good way to prevent this is to lube the hood latch and the bulkhead latch with white lithium grease from time to time. And also don't open and slam/drop the hood closed too often when the vehicle was just driven and hot. Try to lock the hood down when the car has completely cooled off. Heat will weaken the hood latch over time and opening and closing the hood over and over will only accelerate wearing it out faster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man I know of at least three other people that have had their hood fly up and smash their roof/window too, all in the Seattle area too. The DC5 hood latch/bulkhead has been known to be a thin weak piece of aluminum, same with the older Civics. A good way to prevent this is to lube the hood latch and the bulkhead latch with white lithium grease from time to time. And also don't open and slam/drop the hood closed too often when the vehicle was just driven and hot. Try to lock the hood down when the car has completely cooled off. Heat will weaken the hood latch over time and opening and closing the hood over and over will only accelerate wearing it out faster.
Thank you!! I will do this on my new dc5

·
Registered
4 Posts
This happened to me a few years back. I'll admit it was my fault because the hood latch had already been broken. I tried to have somebody weld it in place (the latch, not the hood), but that band-aid came off after a month. Anyway, had to use the Acura for work, drove it on the highway and a toll road using bungee cords to keep the hood from flying up. At first it worked fine, then one day, going about 65 mph the cords started giving way, elevating the hood about a foot. I immediately pulled over and re-tightened them bungee cords, which worked perfectly for about an hour. Then, was going 75 and passed a school bus. WHAM!!! Bungee cords must have snapped. That hood flew back with such force that it shattered the windshield and the moonroof, raining down glass shards upon my head. Fortunately, the roof wasn't as damaged as yours. All I needed was a new hood, new hinges, new hood latch, moonroof and windshield. Did it all myself. Found used hinges and moonroof at local junkyards. Had to buy a new hood and hood latch (and windshield, obviously.) I think I ended up paying around $700-$800 total to get it back on the road. As for the roof, it still has the dent in it. Kinda like yours, only not as prominent. Only issue I ever get (besides feeling like a dumbass driving an RSX with a dented roof) is the occasional water leak that only occurs during a downpour or immediately after a wash. But, I'm pretty sure that leak was there even before the hood incident. Peace.

·
Registered
181 Posts
^Very good lesson to share. When you mentioned the water leak did you mean from the notorious tail light gasket leak or a water leak from the windshield cowl?

·
Registered
4 Posts
^Very good lesson to share. When you mentioned the water leak did you mean from the notorious tail light gasket leak or a water leak from the windshield cowl?
I meant from the windshield. Before the aforementioned hood accident occurred, I had the windshield replaced once. I was giving the guy a hand. He pointed out to me all the rust and corrosion that had occurred where the windshield meets the roof, and he took the opportunity to point out it was due to a poor sealing job from whomever replaced the last windshield. I took his word for it, but I also expected he would have sealed it properly. Come to think of it, maybe he did seal it properly and the current leak was caused by the dent in my roof. OR, maybe he had no idea what caused the leak but assumed it was a poor seal. Regardless, the current leak is only noticeable during a heavy downpour or immediately after a wash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts