Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, my type-s turbo is F.U.B.A.R

heres what happened.......

went to start the car to leave work the other day and the CEL came on but yet it idled fine. so i thought i would re-start it to see if the CEL would go away. it did go off at first but then came back on 10-15 sec.s later. so i decided to remove the ground terminal from the batt to see if that would make it go away. well, when i reconected the batt and tried to start it, it would not start. after a few attempts to start it the car finally started but was idling very rough and my AEM UEGO A/F gauge was metering very rich ( below 11.0:1 A/F)

i tried to use a OBDII scan tool to read the CEL code(s) but no luck it wasnt reading any. the codes said "0" or "00" and would not erase anything.

i made sure the ECU was bolted tight in place and all wire harnesses were connected.
i also checked the coil packs, spark plugs, ignition module, and all associated fuses.
my main engine ground to the valve cover is also good, along with all other grounds to the motor and chasis.

when i drove the car to work that mornig it was fine, ran fine, and drove fine. no problems. so im running out of ideas. the ECU is a Hondata K-Pro and was professionally tuned on a Dyno, but the shop that did it ( the tuning factory in farmington hills MI ) is no longer in bussiness. ive talked to Chris at clubrsx.com and to some tech at Hondata, but i need a lap top hooked up to the ECU to read codes. well, ive tried to upload the newest version of the software and download the latest USB drivers, but no luck. the disc i have we cant find the drivers for USB?
so does anyone have any clue as to what the hell is going on????

thanks in advance
pat

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
No way to know really until you get a laptop hooked up and can generate some error codes.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,240 Posts
how old is your battery?
is your A/F meter spliced into the O2 circuit or does it run on a stand alone sensor?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the A/F is a stand alone meter and is not connected to the ECU, it is just acting as a gauge.
well, i think i may have diagnosed the issue. i tried to start the car with the coils plugged in and then i systematically removed #1, #2, #3, and #4 to see if the car would still idle. well, when i disconnected #2, the car still idled. so i switched the coils around and put #2 coil pack on #4 cylinder and when i disconnected #4 the car still ran????? so i think i might have a bad coil pack.

does anyone know where the best place to but replacement coil packs????

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, i switched all 4 coil packs and the car seemed to start a little easier, but its still running pig rich????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

im going to swap out plugs when i get home tonight.......arrrggg!!!!!

·
Engineering confusion
101 Posts
Check your emission related sensors: MAP, O2 sensors, etc. Maybe the plugs are coming loose or they are beginning to die. It sounds as though your ECU is not getting all the signals it needs to properly meter your fuel so it goes into rich mode to prevent engine problems. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, a while back my primary O2 sensor went bad, but i just took it back to my tuner and they dissabled it so the ECU doesnt even read it now, it just goes off the drvabillity tune and under full throtle it goes off of the power tune. when i drive down the street, the A/F ratio is usually between 14.0-15.5, which 14.7:1 being stochiometric, i figured that was good enough for me just to drive it to work every day untill i was able to use my AEM UEGO as my primary O2 sensor, i just havent found time to wire it into the ECU yet.

ill know more tonight, my buddy is comming over with his lap top and were gonna see what codes the k-pro is showing????? ill keep ya posted. thanks guys.

·
THE LEGEND OF CRSX
18,993 Posts
might be your problem rite there

·
Zack Killa
4,535 Posts
sounds like a sensor is fucked, such as your iat sensor, if that goes bad it will default to -40 degrees and then that would richen up the mixture a lot

so check the code and fix as necessary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts