Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a problem. I just bought a oem style carbon fibre hood and installed it. The thing is with the stock hood, you know how you can only open the hood from the lever inside, well now I can open my hood from the outside when the alarm is on and nothing happens. I just unlock the hood pins, move the latch over from under the hood and im inside the engine bay. Isnt it supposed to lock or something? And with the hood unlocked like that, what is the worse thing that could happen, remove the battery then break in, or?? Any suggestions, thanks guys! I am scared!!!:dontknow: :confused:

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
getting a stock hood open isn't hard to begin with, takes about 3 seconds. do you not have the hood sensor hooked up on your alarm?

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
i'm not gonna describe how to open a hood, don't want to give any of the crsx e-thugs ideas... but if someone wants your car, they more than likely know how to get your hood open... that's about the easiest part on an rsx.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey guys I talked to the shop where I got my alarm installed and they said that the stock hood, they put a hood pin for the alarm in it, so I have to get a new one on this one, but do you think that would be good enough, I also have proximity,shock,tilt sensors, and gps. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
the gps is where it's at. noisemaker stuff you have to be in the vicinity for the 15 seconds it sounds. ask them if it has a suppressor wire (think that's what it's called... a little looped wire over the horn for the alarm.

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
i thought about rigging razorblades in strategic places... but then i figured they would just tear the car up more out of spite then.

·
Registered
978 Posts
the gps is where it's at. noisemaker stuff you have to be in the vicinity for the 15 seconds it sounds. ask them if it has a suppressor wire (think that's what it's called... a little looped wire over the horn for the alarm.
gps doesn't work without line of sight of the sky. so once they get your car inside its no good.

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
gps uses radio signals, it's not a visual thing... it's more like how a sattelite phone works. gps can cover the whole planet, but most of the time any specific system only covers certain regions. they would have to store your car in a concrete box to not be able to find it.

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
i mean if the signal can be picked up through the metal of your car i really don't see a wooden building or something of the likes to prevent the signal from being picked up.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i mean if the signal can be picked up through the metal of your car i really don't see a wooden building or something of the likes to prevent the signal from being picked up.
GPS satellites transmit two low power radio signals, designated L1 and L2. Civilian GPS uses the L1 frequency of 1575.42 MHz in the UHF band. The signals travel by line of sight, meaning they will pass through clouds, glass and plastic but will not go through most solid objects such as buildings and mountains.

http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
the buildings they are referring to are large steel and concrete structures... not small buildings such as houses composed of mostly wood. thick metals and rock will interfere... try out a handheld gps in a house or other common building, it'll work... my magellan does.

·
Registered
978 Posts
the buildings they are referring to are large steel and concrete structures... not small buildings such as houses composed of mostly wood. thick metals and rock will interfere... try out a handheld gps in a house or other common building, it'll work... my magellan does.
it just say solid object. it doesn't say large steel and concrete structures. most gps won't work unless there is line of sight. lo-jack don't work once you get into a garage.

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
i'm not gonna say they're infallible, it does like a cell phone, sometimes you just don't get signal basically... but it's gonna pick up most quick access spots for ditching a car.

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
it says "such as buildings and mountains" what building is not made from steel and concrete? and it's in the same sentence as the word mountain. i'm pretty sure it's safe to infer they were talking about buildings made from steel and concrete since those are the only ones i've seen.

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
i didn't mean to come off as an ass in my last post, but i don't know how else i could word it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.