Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my problem. Two days ago I started to hear some noise on the drive's side. This only happens when I release the brakes and I step on the gas hard. For the first two seconds or so of acceleration it sound a little like the rattling of a catalitic converter when It is going bad or a grinding noise. I have a Base Auto. I took it to the dealer and they said it might be the intake. I took it out and reinstalled it. That was not the problem. Any Ideas to what this can be. I know it's not the catalitic converter because the noise seems like its coming from around the footrest area. For some reason I think it's my tranny.

·
(•_•) ( l :) (.-.) (: l )
10,875 Posts
it could be your cat converter hitting a heat shield or the chasis...i have a race header so i replaced my cat with a test pipe and it hits my chasis or something...really annoying but i can't do much...hmmm good luck with finding out what is wrong though

·
I <3 Red Stuff
1,128 Posts
could it be from the brakes? i know my brakes make weird noises when i release it to gas and its due to the "play" that the brakes have

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's only one of the two things that I've noticed. Another thing that I noticed is that when i am in first gear and im going like 5-10 mph. I tap on the gas fast and hard then release. As soon as I do this I hear a pop. I was wondering if anybody that has a sportshift would try this and give me some feedback as to if this happens normally, or if there is something wrong with my car. Another thing, is the tranny under warranty. I only have like 13500 miles on my 03.

·
700p LTR TWS .308
6,408 Posts
I had this problem, it sounds like a grinding noise when you gas hard right? Usually in the 4500-6000 rpm range in gears 1 and 2 in SS mode. The culprit in mine was the motor mounts were broken. ES (energy suspension) motor mounts fixed this (they're only $25 in the clubrsx store). Essentially the engine shifts a bit causing the drivetrain movement which makes a wonderful grinding noise when it meets the torque converter. Good diagram here:
http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/motmtins.html

Just to be sure ask the dealership to check if the motor mounts are cracked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is my problem. Two days ago I started to hear some noise on the drive's side. This only happens when I release the brakes and I step on the gas hard. For the first two seconds or so of acceleration it sound a little like the rattling of a catalitic converter when It is going bad or a grinding noise. I have a Base Auto. I took it to the dealer and they said it might be the intake. I took it out and reinstalled it. That was not the problem. Any Ideas to what this can be. I know it's not the catalitic converter because the noise seems like its coming from around the footrest area. For some reason I think it's my tranny.
I've come to learn that the dealer is fucking stupid and never knows what's going on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts