Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a shop to get it done. They said I need to replace my inner tie rod and right outer tie rod.

Here is the spec sheet for reference, just want another opinion. IMG_20190227_164233.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Waifu Deluxe
782 Posts
I'm not really sure we can tell a lot from an alignment sheet. Did they say this was the best they could get it to align?

Considering the age of our cars I'd tend to believe anyone who told me my outer tie rods needed replaced, they aren't expensive at all to DIY. It's a rubber ball joint so with age that's going to go away and give you lot's of slop in your steering that could make doing the alignment impossible. Not to mention driving the car dangerous.

As for the inner it's hard to say, the adjustment could be seized up, or it could be physically damanged/fatigued past the point where it should be replaced as well.

There also isn't a single inner tie rod per say... there are 2 inner tie rods, one for each side. They might not even try to adjust the alignment if the parts are seized up because if they break while they are attempting to un-seize them, it's going to fall back on the shop, or it'll cost more in labor for them to try everything to get it to move and still not break it. Vs. buying a new one and just cutting the old one off/ breaking it all to get it off in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really sure we can tell a lot from an alignment sheet. Did they say this was the best they could get it to align?

Considering the age of our cars I'd tend to believe anyone who told me my outer tie rods needed replaced, they aren't expensive at all to DIY. It's a rubber ball joint so with age that's going to go away and give you lot's of slop in your steering that could make doing the alignment impossible. Not to mention driving the car dangerous.

As for the inner it's hard to say, the adjustment could be seized up, or it could be physically damanged/fatigued past the point where it should be replaced as well.

There also isn't a single inner tie rod per say... there are 2 inner tie rods, one for each side. They might not even try to adjust the alignment if the parts are seized up because if they break while they are attempting to un-seize them, it's going to fall back on the shop, or it'll cost more in labor for them to try everything to get it to move and still not break it. Vs. buying a new one and just cutting the old one off/ breaking it all to get it off in 5 minutes.
The thing is I clipped a curb & my strut mounto on the driver's side was bent, got new coils, got new outer tie rods. But I left the stock inner tie rod there since it didn't look bent.

Wondering if I should just replace the inner long tie rod.

The problem is they aren't getting much thread from the passenger side tie rod end. But the drivers side is fine it appears

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts