Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping you guys could help me make a descision. I had my Acura in the garage all winter. I was starting it up every other weekend and letting it run for a bit. During the really bitter cold days it started just fine. Now that the weather is warming up, my battery went dead for no apparent reason (no lights left on or anything). When I say dead, I mean that I can't even unlock the doors with my remote. I had my buddy jump start me and let it run for 15 min. The next day, it was dead again. So here's my question...

Do you think I should try charging it over night? If it's still dead and I get a new battery... are the $90 Acura batteries worth the $$? Also, why would a 2 and a half year old battery die so easily?

Your input is appreciated.

·
GTX35R
30,387 Posts
Check the water level in the battery. Secondly don't buy a 90 acura battery go buy a premium battery for the money.

G

·
Well, all batteries are the same. Electron flow really slows down as you get below freezing and once a battery gets to a certain low level of reactivity among the cells/ plates and acid, etc., it just can't be brought back. You don't need to buy a battery from the dealer. JUst get the appropriate size (Group 51, I think?) from you local car parts store and get on with life. Good luck.

·
GTX35R
30,387 Posts
^^ Good advice

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The battery's output potential diminishes as the temperature gets lower. Starting the engine draws a lot of current. If you didn't let the engine run long enough to fully recharge the battery each time, the battery got succesively weaker. Yes, try to recharge it overnight and see if it will hold a charge now. If you need a replacement it doesn't have to come from the dealer. Any 'quality' replacement battery will do the job. The hard part is determining which ones are the 'quality' batteries.

·
G - Monay
4,209 Posts
i had the same problem as u few weeks back.... and i had a optimia red top battery..... so yea most likly u will need a new battery... and the next time that u are not gonna use your car for a long period of time.. there is this charger kit that you connect to your battery at home so your battery will b heathty and last longer...... just keep it charge untill u are ready to drive your car..... can get the charger in any autozone

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The battery's output potential diminishes as the temperature gets lower. Starting the engine draws a lot of current. If you didn't let the engine run long enough to fully recharge the battery each time, the battery got succesively weaker. Yes, try to recharge it overnight and see if it will hold a charge now. If you need a replacement it doesn't have to come from the dealer. Any 'quality' replacement battery will do the job. The hard part is determining which ones are the 'quality' batteries.
That makes sense. I am getting a charger from a friend tonight and I'll give it a shot before I go out and spend $$ on a new one.

i had the same problem as u few weeks back.... and i had a optimia red top battery..... so yea most likly u will need a new battery... and the next time that u are not gonna use your car for a long period of time.. there is this charger kit that you connect to your battery at home so your battery will b heathty and last longer...... just keep it charge untill u are ready to drive your car..... can get the charger in any autozone
How are those Optima red tops? What size fits an RSX?

Thanks for the replies all...

·
G - Monay
4,209 Posts
How are those Optima red tops? What size fits an RSX?

Thanks for the replies all...

correct me if im wrong....red tops are for like sound systems or alot of electronics and a yellow top is for long storage.. but i got the bigger size one for trucks cause i relocated my batter to the trunk... i dont know but it seems to b the same as any other battery now since it failed on me already when it said it suppose to last longer then normal battery 2 times. but it looks nicer then other battery tho thats y i went back to it :laughing:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I was hoping you guys could help me make a descision. I had my Acura in the garage all winter. I was starting it up every other weekend and letting it run for a bit. During the really bitter cold days it started just fine. Now that the weather is warming up, my battery went dead for no apparent reason (no lights left on or anything). When I say dead, I mean that I can't even unlock the doors with my remote. I had my buddy jump start me and let it run for 15 min. The next day, it was dead again. So here's my question...

Do you think I should try charging it over night? If it's still dead and I get a new battery... are the $90 Acura batteries worth the $$? Also, why would a 2 and a half year old battery die so easily?

Your input is appreciated.
if your gonna store your ride every winter you'll face the same problem again first buy a new battery then buy yourself a battery tender problem solved..

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
somewhat related issue....
My car seems to hesitate a little when starting sometimes. Just takes a while for the ignition to turn over. Would that be the ignition having a problem? or can i attribute it to the battery?

also, would any of these factors play a role in this problem? 35k miles, cold winter, or the gas tank level?

·
Shiny side up!
930 Posts
YOU TELL ME SOMEBODY THROUGH IT AWAY IN THE GARBAGE...THAT'S WHAT YOU SAID RIGHT OR WRONG.
doing the same thing take a look at your rear hight i beat you its alot lower then the front. so that is it me or parents don't know how to raise their kids today? these kids have no morals or respect. this is the third set of valve caps that got stolen off my car. these punk thief's even stole the YES I SPELLED CHEAP WRONG ,,,YOU WILL SEE ABOVE ...A FEW OF YOUR LITERARY INCONSISTANCIES.... NUFF SAID!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts