Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Help with typical rust

Tags
rust typical
5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  nhbp.rsx 
#1 ·
Quarter panel rust, wheel well, & just minor rust

Over the three winters that I've had my car, I've noticed that the rust has shown up & progressing a little more each year I think. I want to try to tackle before this lovely canadian winter hits..

The driver side is a little worse than the passenger side, i believe it's mainly because of street parking, maybe salt trucks during the early mornings..

Heres some photos *my bad if they come out huge
Car is dirty af when I took these

Driver Side Rear

This is probably the worst part, ate/eating through

Passenger Rear

Roof, I think these little small rust spots are from shit dropping off this tree. I noticed some kinda ball/seed or something on the truck & when I tossed it off I seen the same spot on the trunk, whatever it is, if it's left on the paint for some time it will eat it out :(

Door, was like that when I bought the car sadly

See less See more
#2 ·
What/how would you guys fix these spots/panals.

I know the driver side near the bottom rear qtr panel should have the metal cut out and replaced (im pretty sure thats the best way to repair that)

Ever thing else should be sanded down? Bondo, & primer/paint?

The roof & door is the least of my worries at the moment. The Qtr panels are in much need of fixing first, at least I want to take care of that this summer. I have a friend who might be able to help fix this stuff up but I'd like to know some of the basics for this.

I've searched some rust topics but I've forgotten some since I put this off

#3 ·
The roof sanded and painted. The rest needs to be cut out. You can sand and paint, but it's really going to come back if not cut out. Depending on skills, it may be time to just let it go as it will keep rusting anyway.

#4 ·
If I were to go to a shop this would probably end up costing a few hundred im guessing. Yeah I've heard/read if you don't cut it out it will just show up again, so my best bet would be to cut out the rust or worst case let it rust away eh.

Right now I'm thinking if I can't completely get rid of the rust (at least on my own) it wouldn't make sense to put much more money into this.. like finally getting a tune, Wheels & tires setup (which can be resold) and maybe in the future when the motor shits the bed, get a k20z1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.