Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a thread (Boost forum) that Hondata posted in, I found out that the ITR crank pulley is 5.115 inches in diameter vs. the Type S's 5.465. Since the pulley is smaller and most likely lighter, given that it is made of the same material, this leads me to believe that this is attributable for some of the power gains in the K20A over the K20A2. I would like to consider this a possible upgrade for anyone who is leery of running the UR crank pulley. Please post your feedback on this.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Nice find! We should definately look into this. This could hurt the "crank pulley will kill your engine argument"

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pints99 said:
Nice find! We should definately look into this. This could hurt the "crank pulley will kill your engine argument"
Thanks man. I think I am going to get a hold of one the JDM parts distributors and see if I can get one from Honda Japan.

**Chris Dye, feel free to chime in with a hook up on this part.**

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
Good find bud, I look forward to finding out more about it...

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
neorobert said:
someone rich find out please :laughing:
Like I said, if Chris doesn't come back with a response by tomorrow, I will call another JDM parts dealer that I have dealt with a lot.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
i can't imagine seeing much gains from this crank pulley. Maybe 1-2 hp?

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
swwifty said:
i can't imagine seeing much gains from this crank pulley. Maybe 1-2 hp?
OH, but think about the difference between the standard b-series pulley versus the N1 crank pulley that came on the B16B CTRs. I know that pulley is A LOT lighter than the others, but people still saw gains of ~8-12hp with that alone.

A lightweight crank pulley is the same principal as a lightweight flywheel, just on the other side of the engine. Less rotating mass with the weight, less torque necessary to spin it, better moment of inertia as well as relieving stress from the crank and allowing to rev faster.

Just for you Dave, Edo ran the UR racing pulley on his K20 and, if I am not mistaken, proved that it made power. Since a lot of people are worried about the longevity of the engine being effeected by the use of a crank pulley it is nice to know that there is an OEM option to make additional power.

Plus, if you look around at the prices of the N1 crank pulley for B-series motors, it is only around $100. I know I, and I am pretty sure you, will pay $100 even if it only gives and additional 1-2 hp. :tonguegri

Oh yea, still up for tomorrow?

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
BigDawg said:
OH, but think about the difference between the standard b-series pulley versus the N1 crank pulley that came on the B16B CTRs. I know that pulley is A LOT lighter than the others, but people still saw gains of ~8-12hp with that alone.

A lightweight crank pulley is the same principal as a lightweight flywheel, just on the other side of the engine. Less rotating mass with the weight, less torque necessary to spin it, better moment of inertia as well as relieving stress from the crank and allowing to rev faster.

Just for you Dave, Edo ran the UR racing pulley on his K20 and, if I am not mistaken, proved that it made power. Since a lot of people are worried about the longevity of the engine being effeected by the use of a crank pulley it is nice to know that there is an OEM option to make additional power.

Plus, if you look around at the prices of the N1 crank pulley for B-series motors, it is only around $100. I know I, and I am pretty sure you, will pay $100 even if it only gives and additional 1-2 hp. :tonguegri

Oh yea, still up for tomorrow?
hehe good points. I thought the crank pulleys never really provided much HP. I was actually going to do one, but decided against it for now.

I'm still up for tommorrow. Let me know what time we are gonna start. Early afternoon is perfect for me! Its gonna be a awesome day tommorrow.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
swwifty said:
hehe good points. I thought the crank pulleys never really provided much HP. I was actually going to do one, but decided against it for now.

I'm still up for tommorrow. Let me know what time we are gonna start. Early afternoon is perfect for me! Its gonna be a awesome day tommorrow.
Yea, I have got a lot to get together now. I also have to through on this torque dampener, wiper plug, and my new wheels and tires. I wish I wasn't working 65 hour weeks so that I could get over to Balanced ASAP. I might still have to do that next Saturday morning.

I will give you a call later. Are you doind something with your lady friend tonight? Ithink we are going to get together with some friends and go get some beers if you want to join.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yea, the new Sport Compact Car has the www.jdmondaparts.com DC5 R in it.

I will get a hold of you later. I have to work today, but I will have my cell phone on me.

·
Back in Black
10,777 Posts
I miss edo. I wonder how his crate engines are coming. They're already selling built 2.4 liter engines destroked to 2.3 for higher Rs.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
benca1 said:
I miss edo. I wonder how his crate engines are coming. They're already selling built 2.4 liter engines destroked to 2.3 for higher Rs.
I don't know man. I went over to IR about a week ago and no one had heard much from him in a while. He posted here not too long ago.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think the N1 crank pulley for b-series eliminated a/c.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JTSmith said:
I may be wrong, but I think the N1 crank pulley for b-series eliminated a/c.
It did, you are right, but I was just using that as principal.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW, thanks for sending that dampener so fast. I put some feedback up for you.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Thanks man!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts