Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Must...stop...modding!!
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since nobody wants to sell me a damn Comptech or Borla exhaust....Im planning on going to a muffler shop to get a custom exhaust. I was wondering if anyone has ever done a TRUE straight through design with very minimal bends. Also, I have the comptech race header so what should I match it up with.....60mm or 2.5 inch piping? Also, what kinda materials should I make it out of? It would be great if I could get my hands on some titanium but it would probably be hella expensive, so what kind of grade steel should I use? Im looking for something that would not be susceptible to rusting and something lightweight. And dont worry...mandrel bends it is!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
your best bet would be to use 304 stainless steel. Ti is gonna cost you too much and I think it is a little more difficult to work with. 2.5in(65mm) or a little larger, depending on what you wanna do with it, would be you best bet for the diameter. I would do it in 2 peices. Use a stock stlye flange on one end of the b-pipe and make sure that the other flange connecting to the axle back section doesnt neck down or you could use a sprung connector to save more weight. As for the muffler, use what appeals to you, just make sure its a striaght through design. If you are worried about sound then i suggest you add a resonator to the b pipe section, but if not dont worry bout it. It will save you a couple bucks, some wieght and a littel flow if you dont.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
My original exhaust system was the comptech race header with 2.5inch mandrel bent custom stainless steel piping straight from the race header to an Apexi N1 Turbo Muffler and DAMN was that loud. It is like running the header open (no exhaust whatsoever) except it will have a little raspiness to it. I got too many tickets with that setup so I had the piping cut off at the axle and had a flange added so that now I am using the stock axle back. So when I am on the street the exhaust gases go through the stock muffler and it is pretty quiet (still can tell its not stock exhaust though), and I also had them weld a dump pipe right before the axle back.

So my current exhaust set up is....The comptech race header, with custom mandrel bent 2.5inch stainless steel piping (as a b-pipe), then right before the axle I had them weld in a dump pipe (go to google and search dump pipe if you do not know what it is), then the stock axle back. When I am driving normally I have the dump pipe closed and the exhaust is quiet, when I go to the track or dyno I open the dump pipe and it is like running open race header, THAT SH*T IS LOUD!!! (just as loud as my old straight through exhaust, but just not raspy)

^^Hope this helps^^ I would strongly suggest not to do a straight through design, it is way to loud to put up with every day.

·
always bet on black
2,628 Posts
The collector on the Comptech RH is supposed to be 2.5"(62.5mm). But our great friends at Comptech decided to be lazy and just give you the outer diameter measurement. So once you factor in the width of the pipe, your looking more at 60mm-61mm. So my suggestion to you is to just get 60mm piping since its not really a true 2.5" collector. It'll be cheaper that way, and you might be able to find a used exhaust with 60mm piping, as nearly every JDM exhaust Co. uses 60mm.
My next suggestion is to either get rid of your RH adapter and have the custom B-pipe connect directly to the RH, or bore out/replace the smaller gasket on the adapter. The gasket on the catback end of the adapter is only allows 2 freakin inches in diameter of exhaust flow. The gasket is the problem. So, have a shop bore out the gasket so its the width of the piping, or have the flange cut off so you can add the correct size flange.(see http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=137640 )
I would use 304 SS since it will be the cheapest, and most readily available. You could buy both this and some Ti at www.burnsstainless.com, whichever route you go. I will have an extra resonator off a Comptech exhaust if your interested. And lastly, make sure you have a shop that can actually do mandrel bends before you commit to the project. I was going that route, until I found out no one in the whole entire DFW area can do mandrel bends...fuk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts