Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Boostalk!
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey members. Whaaat's happenin'? Yeeeaaa, I'm looking at this CBR 600 from '89. It's going to be my first bike. They guy says the bike doesn't start but it looks to be in great shape. I'm wondering how often is a bike not starting something really serious? Are there any ways to diagnose what the problem is? This dude only wants $1K for his.

·
9,233 Posts
For all you know, the motor could be blown, carbs could be bad, bad starter, bad battery, no oil...theres alot of things.

i had a couple of chances to buy bikes cheaps, but they required work to get running, so i said screw it, saved up a bit more and got a bike that worked mechanically.

if i was you, i wouldnt risk buying a bike that doesnt start if you don't know how to fix it or something. i wouldnt want to crash on my first bike because the engine failed

i just bought my first bike, runs almost perfect mechanically, but cosmetically its not perfect. buy a bike that runs

·
Boostalk!
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For all you know, the motor could be blown, carbs could be bad, bad starter, bad battery, no oil...theres alot of things.

i had a couple of chances to buy bikes cheaps, but they required work to get running, so i said screw it, saved up a bit more and got a bike that worked mechanically.

if i was you, i wouldnt risk buying a bike that doesnt start if you don't know how to fix it or something. i wouldnt want to crash on my first bike because the engine failed

i just bought my first bike, runs almost perfect mechanically, but cosmetically its not perfect. buy a bike that runs
Hmm..that's a pretty good point. Thanks. I'm kind of pissed because the bike I've always wanted (well kinda) is up for sale in OH but I'm here in CO. It's an Interceptor 500. $1,500 and it runs well.

·
PM onebad 4n00ds
11,891 Posts
1k for a 89 that doesnt start is a ripoff lol

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
DONT...my friend did that...the guy said it was just a petcock that needed to be replaced and well...it needed more than that...so we got a junk ninja in his garage

·
Boostalk!
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DONT...my friend did that...the guy said it was just a petcock that needed to be replaced and well...it needed more than that...so we got a junk ninja in his garage
lol @ pet cock. I have a lot to learn. I found an Interceptor 500 in my area. If it's there in 2 months I'll be picking it up. I've decided that because of my lack of funds, I'm going to pick up something a little bigger than a 250 and just be careful. My bike is just going to be for commuting in the beginning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts