Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So last night I turned my car on and ran inside my house to grab something. Just as I come outside I see my passenger HID turn off. I'm like WTF...must of blown a bulb. Turn the headlights off then back on and it was on again

So as I was driving around my passenger HID turned off again...flicked the lights off then on and it was on again. This happened 5 or 6 times by the time I got to my destinatiton.

At first I thought it was a HID problem, but since the bulb will turn back on I'm thinking its a alternator problem possibly? Maybe its not charging enough to keep the high draw from the HID's running. I know when I left my car off and headlights on for some light one night so I could see something after a while one bulb turned off, then a little while after the second one did as the battery slowly died.

Anyone have any suggestions? BTW I never installed a relay on my HID's...some say you should..would that help keep some draw off the alternator.
Thanks

Jeff

G

·
Sounds like a ballast/ ignitor problem. Chinese or German kit? You might try swapping ballasts between sides and seeing if the problem changes sides. That would tell you for sure. Of course, as Kevin has suggested, check those things, too. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks boys...I just called the speed shop I bought them from, Option JDM...just a small shop here in Canada. Its a Prolumen kit.

Talked to the owner he said bring the car in and they will test out the system for me and cover it under warrenty. By my description to him over the phone he's thinking it might be an ignitor problem.

·
Banned
595 Posts
This is a perfect example of why NOT to buy cheap shit ass hid "kits"

Stop being a lazy fuck and do it right or dont do it at all.

I hope you fucking car shorts out and burns to the ground :finger:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
uhm...its not a cheap ass HID kit...they are all quality components. Many many people in the GTA area run these kits and have nothing but good things to say about them.

G

·

I'm not sure where the name-calling and bad wishes are coming from, but just some food for thought: Neither drop-in kits nor home-built projector retro's are DOT approved and the user has an equal chance of screwing up either. There seems to be a hardware-related issue in this case and a solution has been proposed by the dealer. What more could you want?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey,

So last night I turned my car on and ran inside my house to grab something. Just as I come outside I see my passenger HID turn off. I'm like WTF...must of blown a bulb. Turn the headlights off then back on and it was on again

So as I was driving around my passenger HID turned off again...flicked the lights off then on and it was on again. This happened 5 or 6 times by the time I got to my destinatiton.

At first I thought it was a HID problem, but since the bulb will turn back on I'm thinking its a alternator problem possibly? Maybe its not charging enough to keep the high draw from the HID's running. I know when I left my car off and headlights on for some light one night so I could see something after a while one bulb turned off, then a little while after the second one did as the battery slowly died.

Anyone have any suggestions? BTW I never installed a relay on my HID's...some say you should..would that help keep some draw off the alternator.
Thanks

Jeff

could be ballast or wiring is loose...check everything. if you need help IM me on aim bkzm1ke

·
Car Is Sold!
6,315 Posts

hehehehehe... :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
could be ballast or wiring is loose...check everything. if you need help IM me on aim bkzm1ke

Thanks for the offer man...I installed it myself tho and understand all the wiring, so I'll have a look today, and if I cant fix it I'll take it to the shop. I can't see it being wiring tho, it has been installed for 8 months now. I think its the ignitor/ballast. OH well thats what warrenty is for, right.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks for the offer man...I installed it myself tho and understand all the wiring, so I'll have a look today, and if I cant fix it I'll take it to the shop. I can't see it being wiring tho, it has been installed for 8 months now. I think its the ignitor/ballast. OH well thats what warrenty is for, right.
well you see sometimes something can pop out lets say if you hit a bad pothole (pretty common in brooklyn so it happend to me before) ...i checked it out and couldnt really see anything so i had my friend look at it and he found a wire that popped out

·
Banned
595 Posts
I'm not sure where the name-calling and bad wishes are coming from, but just some food for thought: Neither drop-in kits nor home-built projector retro's are DOT approved and the user has an equal chance of screwing up either. There seems to be a hardware-related issue in this case and a solution has been proposed by the dealer. What more could you want?
Wow absolutely WRONG, fucking idiot why don’t you go to the lighting section and do this thing we call READING. All drop in kits are illegal regardless while most people that retro-fit them ARE IN FACT DOT APPROVED AND PERFECTLY LEGAL. Unless your completely retarded you should not screw up a retrofit, and yes all drop in kits are complete shit, there is not a single manufacture on the planet that makes a kit even close to OEM components.

Like I said before if your using a drop-in kit I hope your car burns to the ground :shakehead

Reactions: drumnatural
G

·
Ahh, the piss and vinegar of adolescence.... I remember how things were was when I was 20. But hey, man, maybe it's better for some of us that life is no more complicated than figuring out how to skip class, scrounge up beer money for the weekend, or get with that hot chick we work with at Best Buy.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Wow absolutely WRONG, fucking idiot why don’t you go to the lighting section and do this thing we call READING. All drop in kits are illegal regardless while most people that retro-fit them ARE IN FACT DOT APPROVED AND PERFECTLY LEGAL. Unless your completely retarded you should not screw up a retrofit, and yes all drop in kits are complete shit, there is not a single manufacture on the planet that makes a kit even close to OEM components.

Like I said before if your using a drop-in kit I hope your car burns to the ground :shakehead
ALL HID kits are illegal unless the car came with it from the factory...

·
Banned
595 Posts
WRONG!!! Once again, how fucking ignorant are you? READ THE INFO IN THE LIGHTING AND HID'S SECTION :deadhorse :

G

·
One of the downsides of the internet: Even the pimply-faced kid with a minimum-wage job can find time to contribute absolutely nothing helpful nor constructive to a place as cool as CRSX between jacking off to his roomate's copy of Maxim and numbing his brain on a video game.

Outta' this one, guys. I've got a big machinery deal that needs to be closed, a house to clean, and a video shoot to get organized for Wednesday. What was it again Oakleyman, that you do?

·
Banned
595 Posts
Im sorry but I dont have to explain myself to you or anyone else on here, if you really want to whip them out and see who's is longer then pm me and we can work something out.

But we already know who won that contest dont we :laughat:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts