Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People on this forum are pretty creative. Someone should try to put HID backup lights into the stock taillight housing as a cool DIY project. It would eliminate any visibility issues for those with tinted windows.

Just a crazy idea thats probably not even possible since there are bulb fitment issues. But flame away. :thumbsup:

·
dude..wheres my car
16,177 Posts
mt rsx said:
People on this forum are pretty creative. Someone should try to put HID backup lights into the stock taillight housing as a cool DIY project. It would eliminate any visibility issues for those with tinted windows.

Just a crazy idea thats probably not even possible since there are bulb fitment issues. But flame away. :thumbsup:
:shooting: :shooting:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
yeah.. the cost is way too high for something you use a few times a day for about 15 seconds.

·
Registered
345 Posts
no flame intended, but why would you want to put bright, point source of light, HIDs in the back?

I'm assuming you're grasping onto the great color rendering index (CRI) and color temperature, and would like to see "look like, but not as bright", correct?

I'm assuming this info would be useful, if not please ignore.

Things you might judge a light bulb by.

1)Color Rendition Index - scale from 0-100 on how accurately the image is displayed, for example if you can see the "true color" The Sun rates at 100, and our eyes judge this as a frame of reference.

2) Color Temperature - Probably many people have heard of this before, but what it actually is, is the temperature that it would take to heat a black body to a certain color. For example our sun has a color temperature of 5500* Kelvin. And you get that number by summing all the peaks and valleys of spectral graph and come to basically an average number. See attached picture. It is possible to skew the chart with an irregularly high Color temperature if there is alot of blue, and very little red or green, which would result in a poor CRI.

HIDs require a ballast to ramp the 12v upto 10,000volts to "arc" the gas discharge lamp, at which point the voltage and current draw drop down to lower operating use... Similar to how a florescent bulb lights up.

HIDs are good because:

1) CRI and Color Temperature

2) high lumen per watt ratio

Now, in a general sense, filament type bulbs are the lowest watt/lumen. And after using a solid object to light up, you go into compressed gas with an arc. The more compressed the gas, the better your lumen/watt. For example regular florescents are not as efficient as compact florescents, which are almost as efficient as High Intensity Discharge lamps. As we move up in the better lumen/watt, you get more compressed gas, like a florescent tube may be under little or no pressure, CFs may be under a good deal of pressure, and HIDs would explode like $hit if you dropped one.

Now, there is more technology to present before comparing all 4 with respect to color temperature and Color Redering Index.

LEDs, light Emitting Diodes. Not exactly sure how they work, but they have a great lumen/watt ratio when small... But they also have a good CRI, ~85 I think for the better white ones.

Ok, on a scale of 1-10, rating all 4 technologies.

Filament (halogen, tungsten etc.)
CRI - 10
Color Temp - 4 (very red)
lumen/watt - 2 poor

Florescent (including compact florescent)

CRI - 9 - ranges from 60-99
color temp - 9 wide variety available
lumen/watt 8 very good

HIDs (Mercury vapor, Metal Halide, HPS, LPS etc...)
CRI 9 ranges from 60-99
color temp - 9 wide variety available
Lumen/watt 9 excellent with the bigger bulbs 400w, decreases as wattage goes down.

LEDs
CRI (most LEDs are monochromatic, CRI = 0) white LEDs are around 85, which is excellent. so 9 because it's similar to florescents in nature.
color temp - 8 decent selection, whites are probably 6000k+
lumen/watt - 8 good for low wattage apps.

So, the whole point of this was to try and explain why HIDs are not the only choices in lighting when you want good color temperature and a good CRI. Now florescents aren't practical in cars because they require a large volume of gas to be ignited so to speak.... LEDs really are what you are looking for. There is a store online that stocks them for your car already, I have no affiliation, but they've provided good service so far. www.superbrightleds.com Check under the car bulbs, they have "hid-like" bulbs that are direct replacements for your current filament bulbs.

·
Registered
345 Posts
whoops, forgot the pic. This basically gives you an idea of how the different wave lengths are sorted out, and why some "HIDs" that are like 9000k are very poor selections for your vehicle (because they probably lack any red or green which would make you unable to accurately gauge things). Color temperature without a CRI is useless...

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
GoTrSx56 said:
y not just put the fake HID blubs back there, cheaper...
Fake HID bulbs = filament = poor color rendition = poor looking = expensive too.

Filters only block light frequencies, they can not make a light look good if the frequencies are not there to begin with.

LED replacement bulbs are 6$ and have good color already.

See attached picture, you can get them here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
HID for back up lights. Let's say it's possible, wouldn't it put a strain the ballast and relay? The relays typically would have a min on/off time of about 30 seconds. I don't know about the ballasts, it might be a little longer.

Personally I wouldn't do it, as chungachoo said it's too expensive for something that you only use a few times a day? I'd rather put that money into something a bit more functional.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
damn i expected to get a lot more flames...instead I got technical arguments. i'm impressed.

·
one.4our.3hree
9,128 Posts
i'd flip em on when someone behind me is annoying me.. i.e. tailgaters

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
that'd confuse the hell outta some ppl. yer cruising on the freeway and some asshole is tailgating you at 70mph. he sees you pop it into reverse? hehehe

·
Huh?
1,738 Posts
and then he goes OMG! slams the brakes swerves right smashes into a mini-van with kids in it, flips over blows up etc. etc. etc. hmm, the goold ole bird technique works fine for me :)

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Its an idea I guess. Waste of money...

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
SiFuSpEc said:
and then he goes OMG! slams the brakes swerves right smashes into a mini-van with kids in it, flips over blows up etc. etc. etc. hmm, the goold ole bird technique works fine for me :)
but who could see it in the dark.

HIDs all the way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts